Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   driveshaft u joints in need of replacing, should i replace driveshaft? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/driveshaft-u-joints-in-need-of-replacing-should-i-replace-driveshaft-144833.html)

beardown 03-07-2012 04:01 PM

driveshaft u joints in need of replacing, should i replace driveshaft?

would you guys recommend that i just go ahead and change the driveshaft when i am replacing the u joints? thanks

blkrubi88 03-07-2012 04:20 PM

I just rebilt mine. Just replace the u joints, I would only replace the driveshaft if it needed it.

C.L. 03-07-2012 04:21 PM

Front or rear, stock or AM? Double cardan?

U-joints are like $25 a pop for good ones, $12 for autozone specials, and take minutes to change. Maybe an hour if you live in a salt zone and curse slowly... Unless there was something else wrong with the shaft, i'd just do the joints.

beardown 03-07-2012 05:50 PM

its rear, nothing visibly wrong with the shaft, just brown and rusted, there is a considerable amount of play at the u joint though.... are the upgraded ones worth going with? thanks!

blkrubi88 03-07-2012 08:59 PM

Go with Spicer!:thumb:

snwchris 03-08-2012 06:57 AM

Just replace the U-joint, about $25 and maybe at the most 45mins to and hour to change. Don't get the crappy u-joints from autozone, get a Spicer if you can if you have a drivetrain shop in your area, otherwise atleast get the Napa Precision joints.

If you have extra money to feel like spending on a not needed DS, just send the extra money to the following address... lol

beardown 03-11-2012 11:41 PM

How tough is it to remove the driveshaft? Thanks dudes!

snwchris 03-12-2012 09:45 AM

Not sure what model Jeep you have since no info listed
It should be (2) U-Straps so (4) bolts total at the Rear Pinion and then either U-bolts at the T-Case tailshaft or if it's Flange style then (4) bolts in the flange.
Should only take about 10-15min at most to drop.

Use some PB blaster the night before to soak the bolts if they are rust covered or have never been removed.

beardown 03-13-2012 02:04 PM

Thanks, it's a 93 yj 4.0 automatic

Dextreme 03-13-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beardown (Post 2130323)
How tough is it to remove the driveshaft? Thanks dudes!

Replacing a Rear Axle U Joint : How to Index & Remove a Drive Shaft - YouTube
Replacing a Rear Axle U Joint : Preparing & Installing a U Joint onto a Drive Shaft - YouTube

aelwero 03-13-2012 03:02 PM

U joints are one of those things where the premium price is well worth it :)

They're also one of the parts you buy two of so you have a spare kicking around in your recovery box... once you've done one and understand how to go about it, you can easily replace one on the trail. u-joints and the infamous JK TC cable bushing are the only two spare parts I carry with me.

beardown 03-14-2012 07:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I think I found what caused my u joint to fail... I was under inspecting it and noticed that the trans was able to move back and forth easier thn it should..... I took a pic of the part just above my red poly trans mount... I assume that bolt is supposed to hold the trans in place,,,, correct?