Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   new to jeeps and got some ??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-to-jeeps-and-got-some-144951.html)

bigd28 03-08-2012 01:13 AM

new to jeeps and got some ???

Hello everyone I have never owned a jeep or nothin I have always been a toyota guy. But have never owned A jeep about a year and a half ago I had a son and I got into off roading I'm in the process of selling my 2wd 4runner for a jeep I'm looking into a 97 with 88k 4.0 5 spd it has a lift winch everything. But I'm a little nervous cause my wife says this is my dd and trail rig. She says this is gonna b urs for a while and we have a family so better b family ok. What r u guys take on a 97 jeep and my 4runner is an 01 and yotas last forever I'm worried about stuff braking on it whats ur guys thought ?

bigd28 03-08-2012 12:47 PM

Bump

Dextreme 03-08-2012 01:02 PM

Got any pics of the TJ? 97 was a great year for the TJ, but it tough to know what previous owners have done to hack on it.

Also, if you can get the VIN number on it, you can get an original build sheet on it:

Contact Jeep

bigd28 03-08-2012 01:05 PM

What do u think for a dd and trail I also have a little one. The guy I'm buying it from is on this site. He is very honest nothin agaianst him its the point of having a jeep vs my 4runner big jump what do u think ?

Dextreme 03-08-2012 01:50 PM

Well, I love my Jeep as a DD and an occasional light offroading rig (I don't push it to its limits). While I have not had a 4Runner, I did have a Toyota truck years ago....I love the Jeep waaaaay more. Plus kids love to ride in the back (I have two).

Garlandxj 03-08-2012 02:07 PM

The TJ can be a great DD. You will have to sit down and look at what is important to you. 4Runner- You can carry the little one, the wife and quite a bit of gear. TJ - You can carry the little one, the wife and a little bit of gear. So your needs for this vehicle are very important to the decision. Does your wife have a car that will take you and the little one when you need more room for storage?

List out what you have to have, then what you can get by with. Will the TJ fit your needs?

As for stuff breaking the main things to worry about is what you break on the trail. As a DD nothing really breaks if you maintain the TJ well. They are rock solid and last forever. If you take it out on trails then you will break whatever you treat the worst. But overall for light trail use and a DD they work great.

obidya 03-08-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlandxj (Post 2117858)
The TJ can be a great DD. You will have to sit down and look at what is important to you. 4Runner- You can carry the little one, the wife and quite a bit of gear. TJ - You can carry the little one, the wife and a little bit of gear. So your needs for this vehicle are very important to the decision. Does your wife have a car that will take you and the little one when you need more room for storage?

List out what you have to have, then what you can get by with. Will the TJ fit your needs?

As for stuff breaking the main things to worry about is what you break on the trail. As a DD nothing really breaks if you maintain the TJ well. They are rock solid and last forever. If you take it out on trails then you will break whatever you treat the worst. But overall for light trail use and a DD they work great.

x2 well said

I have a 97 nearing 150k, It's my daily driver and I love it. I too have a couple of smallies (2 and 4) they both love it as well. Its a little trickier getting everyone in the wrangler but not a big deal by any means.

bigd28 03-08-2012 02:13 PM

Thank you yes the wife has an altima that can fit a lot of stuff I also go to the beach a lot.so the top off is sick and the mtns for boarding I can get a rack but I guess also was worrying cause its a 16 year old.car that has been lightly off roaded but decent miles and has everything on it I drive less than a mile to work so it will work just worried my first jeep

Grateful Parrot 03-08-2012 02:17 PM

It's only trickier when the top is on. When the tops off, my kids love climbing on the roll bars to get in. They feel like's it's a modified Dukes of Hazzard.

Kevbz 03-08-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd28 (Post 2117883)
cause its a 16 year old

at 88k and 16 years old its barely broken in, you'll be on here at 180K wondering when it will finally kick

Kevbz 03-08-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grateful Parrot (Post 2117900)
It's only trickier when the top is on. When the tops off, my kids love climbing on the roll bars to get in. They feel like's it's a modified Dukes of Hazzard.

my younger teens make it a contest as to who has the best entry and exit from the back with the top down

bigd28 03-08-2012 06:50 PM

Thanks guys makes me feel better, ya I have always loves jeepa, never thought of getting one till I drove my first one nothin ever like I have driven.before. 97 with 88k its lifted tires etc. Black has some scratches but who cares looks bada**. Could u guys post pixs of ur kids in the back so I can.show my wife. So she can relax a bit

Kevbz 03-08-2012 08:19 PM

older kids like it, if the weather is right of course