Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   need help with a trailer! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-help-with-a-trailer-144952.html)

motoxer96 03-08-2012 01:39 AM

need help with a trailer!
 
looking for M100 or M416 military trailer. or something like that for my jeep. would like something that is in decent shape. i wanna build it into a backcountry/overland trailer. i am having trouble finding sources that have them or place where i can get one. if anybody has any info on these including builds and pics. i would really appreciate it. im doing a trip from oregon to yellowstone and back in late july for three weeks. with lots of offroading planned. and would like to have it done and together by then. thanks for your help!

Dusty Rhodes 06-01-2012 12:10 AM

Go to G503.com then forums, they have a section on the trailers you mention. I have a Bantam Civilian trailer. Same as the Military one but it has no brakes, no Lunette ring but it has a tailgate. Mine has two of the desireable "Combat Rims". I like it a lot. I can move it by myself even with a couple hundred pounds in it. Including rolling it up my driveway.

Be advised they are very hard to back up and distance unless you have lots of practice. The short tongue and short distance from hitch to axle makes it a very difficult challenge. But the good news is it pulls and tracks like nothing is there. I like mine alot.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I also have the original military manual for the M-100.

Sccafire 06-01-2012 12:15 AM

They are in Norther Californa.

Surplus City - Trailers

jscherb 06-01-2012 06:19 AM

These are available as kits, here's a link: Home

The company that makes them is near you in Salem.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...TOpenSide1.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...nalTent3-1.jpg

UnlimitedLJ04 06-01-2012 07:43 AM

buy a welder & learn to use it. use google sketchup (or CAD software of your choice) to make a design. buy some steel & start putting it together.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...l#post12710182

toms01TJ 06-01-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoxer96 (Post 2116447)
looking for M100 or M416 military trailer. or something like that for my jeep. would like something that is in decent shape. i wanna build it into a backcountry/overland trailer. i am having trouble finding sources that have them or place where i can get one. if anybody has any info on these including builds and pics. i would really appreciate it. im doing a trip from oregon to yellowstone and back in late july for three weeks. with lots of offroading planned. and would like to have it done and together by then. thanks for your help!

You see them occasionally on this site:

Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation

The last M416's I saw go through went for around $400.00, and were in really nasty condition...

clfloyd46 06-05-2012 07:15 PM

I have an M100 trailer (I believe) I was told that it had the same bolt spacing as my TJ, so I could use the same wheel and carry only one spare. It does appear that the bolt pattern is the same but my TJ wheels wheels will not fit over the hubs. I think I have heard of folks machining out the center to fit. Does anybody have a better solution? Thanks, Floyd

jscherb 06-05-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clfloyd46 (Post 2441587)
I have an M100 trailer (I believe) I was told that it had the same bolt spacing as my TJ, so I could use the same wheel and carry only one spare. It does appear that the bolt pattern is the same but my TJ wheels wheels will not fit over the hubs. I think I have heard of folks machining out the center to fit. Does anybody have a better solution? Thanks, Floyd

With wheel spacers you can often move the wheel out far enough so it can fit on the hub.

Patrick H 06-05-2012 08:00 PM

Here's my 1951 Ben Hur.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...5/100_2912.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...5/000_0729.jpg

It also has this hinged cover, but I haven't repainted it yet.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...5/100_2222.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...5/100_2225.jpg

ZombieResponseTeam 06-05-2012 08:34 PM

Awesome trailer. Top adds some depth to the shallow tub. I've been looking at lots of them and I'd rather have yours. Looks like it would track with the jeep which would be great when we have snow.

There is a Bantam on cl in my area for $350 but its sorely rusted.

Patrick H 06-05-2012 08:51 PM

The tub is shallow. I'm going to build some side boards for it. The top is really cool. I'm thinking about making some canvas side panels that will snap on when the top is open to make a sleeping quarters.

c-adam79 12-02-2012 11:53 PM

Found this one in Ohio M416
 
4 Attachment(s)
I just finished the overhauling on it..... I found it on Craigslist, do a search around the cities near you. They are out there...

Good Luck

hcarlgolden 06-08-2013 09:54 PM

Awesome trailer! What model is that tent? Did it come with trailer or purchased separately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscherb (Post 2425157)
These are available as kits, here's a link: Home

The company that makes them is near you in Salem.


jscherb 06-09-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcarlgolden (Post 3840485)
Awesome trailer! What model is that tent? Did it come with trailer or purchased separately?

This tent is available from the same company that sells the trailer kit: Roof Top Tents turn your car , truck or trailer into a Tent Topped Camping Trailer!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...TOpenSide1.jpg

Later this summer they're also going to release a new fiberglass military-style tub kit, here's a few photos...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...psfb0eaabc.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...psdf5d1f8a.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps29d4e37c.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.