Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Is it necessary to drop the TC with a 3.5" SSL (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/is-it-necessary-to-drop-the-tc-with-a-3-5-ssl-145003.html)

bcpaddler 03-08-2012 10:46 AM

Is it necessary to drop the TC with a 3.5" SSL

Is it really necessary to install the TC spacers after putting in my RC 3.5" suspension lift? This is all I lack before having it all done. I drove it last night around the neighborhood and didn't notice any vibes or anything out of the ordinary?

Thanks for your time and input... :wavey:

nastyrider17 03-08-2012 10:47 AM

If you're not having problems then I would say to leave it out.

Also, have you taken it up to highway speeds yet to see if vibrations kick in there?

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2012 10:50 AM

You installed a 3.5" suspension lift and there are no drivetrain vibrations? None at all? :confused: For a Wrangler TJ, that would be extremely surprising.

Do you by any chance drive a Wrangler Unlimited?

IslandTJ 03-08-2012 10:57 AM

:(
I got vibes with my short 2" suspension lift.

bcpaddler 03-08-2012 11:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyrider17 (Post 2117216)
If you're not having problems then I would say to leave it out.

Also, have you taken it up to highway speeds yet to see if vibrations kick in there?

I could only get up to 45-50 MPH last night rolling around my neighborhood... I would have liked to get it out on the interstate / highway, but it was late last night - and it's raining today. I may hold off installing it until I can...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 2117225)
You installed a 3.5" suspension lift and there are no drivetrain vibrations? None at all? :confused: For a Wrangler TJ, that would be extremely surprising.

Do you by any chance drive a Wrangler Unlimited?

Nope - its just a TJ sport

What I was really concerned about is no knowing if the spacers were a "must install" thing to protect U-Joints or something??

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2012 11:08 AM

That tall of a lift on a short wheelbase Wrangler TJ should indeed be causing drivetrain vibrations from excessive angles at the u-joints on the rear driveshaft. Those vibes, if they are allowed to continue, will eventually start taking out things like the driveshaft u-joints, seals, and/or bearings.

Those are the types of vibrations that cannot be ignored. And with 3.5" of lift, I would expect some pretty good vibes in the absense of either a t-case drop or SYE kit and CV drivshaft.

siafu 03-09-2012 08:52 AM

I got the vibes on my 3" lift. Slight vibes from 32-35mph and then they are gone. I am going to add 1 a washer to the existing TC drop and see if that fixes it. If not, I am going to do the SYE deal.

bcpaddler 03-09-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siafu (Post 2120694)
I got the vibes on my 3" lift. Slight vibes from 32-35mph and then they are gone. I am going to add 1 a washer to the existing TC drop and see if that fixes it. If not, I am going to do the SYE deal.

Thanks Siafu.... I'm going to drive it this afternoon (now that the Monsoon is past) and see if I have any vibes at all? :wavey:

KBR97 03-09-2012 10:57 AM

With that amount of lift I would install them regardless of vibes or not. The vibrations are not the problem, the horrible shaft angle is the problem. Best fix would be a SYE and CV shaft but the TC spacers are a good temporary solution (coming form a guy who has them for 2 years lol).

oIIIIIIo 03-09-2012 11:11 AM

Mine was vibrating with only 3" lift. If you don't want to do the tc drop then you would have to install a mml and bl.