Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   2" spring spacers w/no bump stop extention (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/2-spring-spacers-w-no-bump-stop-extention-145046.html)

brendend 03-08-2012 01:35 PM

2" spring spacers w/no bump stop extention
 
so i picked up a set of spring spacers for really cheap and was told i wouldnt need bump stops, would i damage something not using them?

Rolf 03-08-2012 01:45 PM

It depends on your tyre size and if you will be.disconnecting the sway bar.

I have 2" spacer lift with 31"tyres. I did a trail with the front swaybar disconnected and in a serious axle twister I managed to do some damage to the front fender. This has been sorted with 2" bumpstop extensions.

brendend 03-08-2012 02:02 PM

Has 32s and won't disconnect the sway bar

TLATEOTW 03-08-2012 02:32 PM

i had 2 inch spacers on 30s with no extended bumpstops with no disconnect, never had any problems and went offroading every weekend on that setup for 2 years

UnlimitedLJ04 03-08-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendend (Post 2117765)
so i picked up a set of spring spacers for really cheap and was told i wouldnt need bump stops, would i damage something not using them?

yup, you need them, whoever told you otherwise is wrong.

don't worry tho, they're pretty cheap...$15 per axle, with new hardware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLATEOTW (Post 2117949)
i had 2 inch spacers on 30s with no extended bumpstops with no disconnect, never had any problems and went offroading every weekend on that setup for 2 years

the fact that you say you didn't have any problems with that setup strongly suggests you wouldn't have known if you did have a problem.

Rolf 03-09-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 2118601)
yup, you need them, whoever told you otherwise is wrong.

don't worry tho, they're pretty cheap...$15 per axle, with new hardware.



the fact that you say you didn't have any problems with that setup strongly suggests you wouldn't have known if you did have a problem.

THis is good :rofl:

goodwrench67 03-09-2012 06:10 AM

That's what I have, 2" spacers with 31's. No issues and it looks real good

TLATEOTW 03-09-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04
yup, you need them, whoever told you otherwise is wrong.

don't worry tho, they're pretty cheap...$15 per axle, with new hardware.

the fact that you say you didn't have any problems with that setup strongly suggests you wouldn't have known if you did have a problem.

Wow, do you use that logic in everything? I don't remember when it was the last time you looked under my Jeep or a saw it

Many ppl do it with no problems, it might be not recommended but still works

UnlimitedLJ04 03-09-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLATEOTW (Post 2121287)
Wow, do you use that logic in everything? I don't remember when it was the last time you looked under my Jeep or a saw it

Many ppl do it with no problems, it might be not recommended but still works

Spring fell out:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/help...ht-118272.html

Additionally, go look up something called coil bind.

Point being, you didn't know you had problems...which is why I asked, Would you even know if you had a problem?

brendend 03-09-2012 01:41 PM

so after seeing the springs falling out i think i rather be safe than sorry,
i went to orielys and they didnt have them. would this work all around? i see some labeled as front and rear but these are not
Rubicon Express RE1395 - Rubicon Express 1.5" Extended Upper Bump Stops for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

UnlimitedLJ04 03-09-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendend (Post 2121756)
so after seeing the springs falling out i think i rather be safe than sorry,
i went to orielys and they didnt have them. would this work all around? i see some labeled as front and rear but these are not
Rubicon Express RE1395 - Rubicon Express 1.5" Extended Upper Bump Stops for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

no, those poly jounce bumpers aren't appropriate.

these for the rear:
Jeep Accessories - Rear Bumpstop Extension Kit

these for the front x2:
http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Ac...1330434&sr=1-1

TLATEOTW 03-09-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 2121308)
Spring fell out:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/help...ht-118272.html

Additionally, go look up something called coil bind.

Point being, you didn't know you had problems...which is why I asked, Would you even know if you had a problem?

i know that i didn't have any problems, i just replaced them with an 2.5" OME lift 2 days ago, and i still have mhy old shocks and coils with the spacers that are perfectly fine.

i will not argue about this issue, because it is still "not highly recommended" as mentioned before, that's why i changed to a proper lift.

my cousin has 2" in front(poli) and 1+" in back (metal puck on the bottom of the coil) since 5-6 years and also no problems. which is identical to my setup.

it's as in every lift thread here, some jeeps get away with it and others don't, every jeep is different.

The issue here is each one of us is giving his own personal experience on his jeep, it is not forced on on the OP, he just has to decide if he is willing to take a risk or play it on the safe side.

maybe i got lucky on this because when i got the jeep they spacers where already on them and i didn't know then about the risks, but when i did, i tested it, and found nothing wrong or hazardous with it.

Allstar Realtor 03-10-2012 09:14 PM

Newbie question...are the front and rear extensions different?

TheTJRod 03-10-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allstar Realtor
Newbie question...are the front and rear extensions different?

Yes. Follow the links that unlimited posted. Front go on the axle, the rear go on the frame side between the coil mount and jounce bumper.

Allstar Realtor 03-11-2012 11:24 AM

Why different sizes for the front & rear if the same size lift is being used?

Border Dave 03-11-2012 01:24 PM

If you want to go really cheap you can use a stack of fender washers and a longer bolt on the rear. Just install the fender washers above the bumpstop holder.

For the front you can use a some hockey pucks RTV'd to the lower spring perch. Some guys say the pucks will be broken by the bumpstop when it comes crashing down onto it, but I've wheeled my Jeep pretty hard with hockey pucks on the front for eight or nine years with no problems.

1jeeplvr 03-24-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border Dave (Post 2128100)
If you want to go really cheap you can use a stack of fender washers and a longer bolt on the rear. Just install the fender washers above the bumpstop holder.

For the front you can use a some hockey pucks RTV'd to the lower spring perch. Some guys say the pucks will be broken by the bumpstop when it comes crashing down onto it, but I've wheeled my Jeep pretty hard with hockey pucks on the front for eight or nine years with no problems.

Dont the front b/s bolt on also so you could use the washer idea?
Im having the same prob but I really dont want to remove the springs to drill & tap spring perch.This cant be done with the spring in,correct?

Peyts 10-12-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 2118601)
yup, you need them, whoever told you otherwise is wrong.

Glad I saw this post!

I'm new to the Jeep world... just getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2" BB with 31x10.50s. Was looking at ordering a kit from my local 4x4 shop when I noted that their kits didn't include bumpstops... when I asked him about it, I was told that bumpstops weren't needed... he further suggested that putting them on would be kinda wussy. :nonono:

Are their specific ones I should be looking for?

wwch99tj 10-12-2012 07:20 AM

^^^^ these that unlimited posted...
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04
no, those poly jounce bumpers aren't appropriate.

these for the rear:
Jeep Accessories - Rear Bumpstop Extension Kit

these for the front x2:
http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Ac...1330434&sr=1-1



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.