Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   List Of Armor Importance For JKs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/list-of-armor-importance-for-jks-145114.html)

ESP 03-08-2012 08:06 PM

List Of Armor Importance For JKs

Researching some different pieces lately after watching several wheeling videos and got to thinking that this could be a pretty useful topic here. From the communities view point and personal experience, what would the most important pieces of armor down to the least be for a JK? There isn't a number limit to this and my hope is not to endorse one armor company over another but it would be very helpful to know what everyone here uses or recommends and who makes good/bad pieces.

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?

JIMBOX 03-08-2012 08:19 PM

:D Well, the importance Number will depend on your off-roading environment and whether its a JK or JKU, but, from my point of view-

This will be rocks/shale/logs--NO MUD-

1)-sliders (2)
2)-gas tank skid(1)
3)-EVAP skid(1)
4)-tranny skid(!)
5)-oilpan skid(2)
6)-diff/ skids(front #1)(2)
7)-LCA skids(4)
8)-front bumper skid(1)
9)-??
10) ??

Any more would approach EXTREME crawling !

Thats what I've got and the Number of importance will change some, between jeepers !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

desertgoose 03-08-2012 08:25 PM

IMO put skids where the factory didn't first, then upgrade where they were slacking next. It's very rocky here and I did radiator and evap can first. Then sliders. Still doing other things now, but next is oil pan and dif covers/skids.

tabber02 03-08-2012 09:02 PM

JIMBO, you running all those skids, or that's just your interpretation of the key areas to protect? IMO I agree with ESP, this could be a really interesting thread.

I've been looking at the poison spyder evap skid... but truthfully, that's about it right now. though most of my wheeling is fire road, sandy roads and the occasional swampy area.

-bob :popcorn:

ESP 03-08-2012 09:05 PM

I was thinking the oil and evap would be important firsts but I was watching how exposed the diffs are on some of the videos. It's scary how many times the rear diff can come into contact with rocks and ledges that look like normal crawl overs?

desertgoose 03-08-2012 09:06 PM

My stock gas tank skid is doing its job, that's last on my list for now.

tabber02 03-08-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2119436)
I was thinking the oil and evap would be important firsts but I was watching how exposed the diffs are on some of the videos. It's scary how many times the rear diff can come into contact with rocks and ledges that look like normal crawl overs?

sometimes i've wondered if a better diff cover would be the way to go... rather than armor around it... but i know what you mean. in some videos guys are rocking back and forth on what looks like the rear diff... i cringe, waiting for the cover to tear off or the axle to fail.

-bob

tabber02 03-08-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertgoose (Post 2119438)
My stock gas tank skid is doing its job, that's last on my list for now.

what have you put on... from who? happy with them, are they worth it... in your opinion? :D

-bob

JPi1 03-08-2012 09:10 PM

1. Rick rails, sliders
2. Diff covers

ESP 03-08-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 2119447)
sometimes i've wondered if a better diff cover would be the way to go... rather than armor around it... but i know what you mean. in some videos guys are rocking back and forth on what looks like the rear diff... i cringe, waiting for the cover to tear off or the axle to fail.

-bob

How strong and resilient are the D30 and D44s to impact/dragging over terrain?

jkjeeper06 03-08-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

I'd imagine it depends on the angle of the rock against the axle. The housing is pretty tough but i bet if it's at just the right angle to hook the diff cover, it'll take that off pretty easily

JIMBOX 03-08-2012 09:15 PM

:D The diffs, are rock hard, it's the diff covers that will tear loose at the bottom, on a rock/ledge dragover--thats actually what the diff skids do--they prevent that !

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2119472)

And YUP I've got all those skids !

JPi1 03-08-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

The diffs themselves are fine on rocks, but the covers always peel back and leak, or you hit a rock and it dents so bad that it's pushed into your ring gear then grinds away untill it leaks the gear oil out.

tabber02 03-08-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 2119501)
And YUP I've goy all those skids !

any one armor / skid company you're happier with than others...

-bob

JIMBOX 03-08-2012 09:21 PM

:D--ROCKHARDŽ--the strongest-

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 2119519)

-bob

I've also got some Poison SpyderŽ--

M.c.laren 03-08-2012 09:24 PM

How is offroad evolution for skids?

ESP 03-08-2012 09:25 PM

Would you recommend entire covers then for both diffs if someone was looking into protection there or just armor for the covers? Follow up questions, do you need to protect both side of the diff i.e. front and back of the pumpkin?

JPi1 03-08-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02

-bob

I've got Blue torch fab covers on mine, 1/4" steel cover with 3/8 mounting ring to prevent "peeling" on rocks. And since their fabricated instead of cast, they look cool too.

kbwwolf 03-08-2012 10:05 PM

These are on my list for next month.

EVO: Bumper/Armor/Skids, EVO MFG(5) ProTeK Skid System for 2012 Jeep JK Wranglers

Jeep Evap Skid | Jeep Evap Protection | Jeep Evap Armor | Poison Spyder Customs

Anyone know if these would be compatible? It seems like they would be, but that's just my own eye test.

Still gotta figure out some protection for the diffs.

desertgoose 03-08-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02

what have you put on... from who? happy with them, are they worth it... in your opinion? :D

-bob

Wtf? Gotta call when replying and lost message. Rugged ridge evap skid.(very solid but haven't hit it yet) and skid row radiator that barely scraped. (More appearance but not cheap plastic.) Stock gas tank skid has a couple dents but holding) My front dif cover sheared the top of a boulder off last trip and surprisingly isn't leaking. On my list.... but next needed is oil pan protection. The xfer case skid is scraped up like nobodies business but holding well.

Lithium Lotus 03-08-2012 10:11 PM

I do trail riding in my Jeep, no hardcore rock crawling. So I bought skids to protect important parts and to slide over things.

I have rock rails, G/2 front and rear diff covers, Rancho oil pan skid, Rugged Ridge EVAP skid, Rugged Ridge rear lower control arm skids and JKS front lower control arm skids.

JPi1 03-08-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf

EVO: Bumper/Armor/Skids, EVO MFG(5) ProTeK Skid System for 2012 Jeep JK Wranglers

Anyone know if these would be compatible? It seems like they would be, but that's just my own eye test.

They are compatible, and a very good fit. The poison spider bombshell covers are very good protection also.

kbwwolf 03-08-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 2119810)
They are compatible, and a very good fit. The poison spider bombshell covers are very good protection also.

Those look nice. Unfortunately, the Dana 44's are currently unavailable. Hopefully it's just a back order thing, and by the time I'm ready to order they'll have em back in stock.

Thanks for the tip! Just what I was looking for. :thumb:

JPi1 03-08-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf

Those look nice. Unfortunately, the Dana 44's are currently unavailable. Hopefully it's just a back order thing.

Thanks for the tip! Just what I was looking for. :thumb:

The Dana 44 covers are very popular, and they have a hard time keeping up with demand. It should be a couple of weeks and they will be in stock again.

kbwwolf 03-08-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1 (Post 2119921)
The Dana 44 covers are very popular, and they have a hard time keeping up with demand. It should be a couple of weeks and they will be in stock again.

Awesome. Kinda what I thought. Thanks man.

ESP 03-08-2012 11:00 PM

How about any degradation in performance from the weight of armoring up the underside? How heavy would diff covers (front/rear), evap, and oil plates be? Would their weight have any real affect on MPG?

kbwwolf 03-08-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2119940)
How about any degradation in performance from the weight of armoring up the underside? How heavy would diff covers (front/rear), evap, and oil plates be? Would their weight have any real affect on MPG?

I would think there'd be an effect; you're adding weight, and any time you add weight it's gonna take more power to get your Jeep to a given speed.

desertgoose 03-08-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithium Lotus
I do trail riding in my Jeep, no hardcore rock crawling. So I bought skids to protect important parts and to slide over things.

I have rock rails, G/2 front and rear diff covers, Rancho oil pan skid, Rugged Ridge EVAP skid, Rugged Ridge rear lower control arm skids and JKS front lower control arm skids.

That's more than I have and I'm always scraping rocks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP

Dif covers and oilpan or evap wouldn't be noticed. But when you get around 200#+ sure you'll see it on your himiler report. Lol

chris.george 03-08-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2119741)

Eddie over at project-jk is having them put on I believe.

kbwwolf 03-08-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.george (Post 2120041)
Eddie over at project-jk is having them put on I believe.

He did a writeup in Project JK back in December, but they weren't available to the public for the '12's @ the time.

Which is fine, cuz I had bigger fish to reel in. Just getting around to armor now.