Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Anyone wanna play Dr? I need a 2nd opinion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/anyone-wanna-play-dr-i-need-a-2nd-opinion-145115.html)

Kevbz 03-08-2012 08:07 PM

Anyone wanna play Dr? I need a 2nd opinion

I seem to have bionic hearing when it comes to noises the Jeep makes. Usually I can pinpoint a clank, clunk or squeal pretty fast, but his one has me guessing a bit.

The Noise...imagine a really bad brake rotor, not squealing bad, but grinding, rivets against the rotors bad. now imagine the sound you hear as the wheel rotates its last two turns as it comes to stop...that light metallic coming to a stop sound. This sound is not as bad as that, but noise wise its the best way to describe it

When it happens...I've driving the jeep and turned it off while moving and there is no noise, while coasting or braking...so i have removed the wheels, brakes, drive shafts from the equation.

next i have let the jeep idle, sitting still, and listened as I brought idle up to 1200 rpm-ish, and listening as it fell back to idle. No noise. engine is knocked out of the equation.

Now, when driving, and getting ready to shift...up or down...as soon as the clutch pedal is pushed in you hear it, a light raspy metallic rotating noise that dies down quickly, maybe two seconds in duration and like I said..it falls away quick. If i had to put it on a scale of 1-10 at its loudest/severity its a 2, and falls to a 0 (remember my bionic ears proclamation!)

Since The only rotating assemblies is the trans, transfer case and clutch/throw out bearing, and since it only appears when the clutch pedal is in play, and not a constant noise...I'm taking the trans and transfer case out of it.

My official diagnosis is a spun throw-out bearing, or something to that nature. Unfortunately clutches fall into that area of expertise where I know just enough to hold a casual conversation about them. I had always thought that throw out bearings squealed when they went bad...and this is a very light, slowly stopping, metallic noise that only occurs for about 2 seconds after the clutch is pressed.

Whats the prognosis Doc?:popcorn:

s14sh3r 03-08-2012 08:12 PM

From your description, it sounds like a throw out bearing to me.

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2012 08:13 PM

You lead me to the same conclusion at the same place in your posting you arrived at it... it sure sounds like the throwout bearing could be starting to go bad. Very nice logical description of the symptoms.

yoopone 03-08-2012 08:18 PM

All of my Jeeps are automatics but my 1969 Plymouth GTX most certainly made a similar noise and then got progressively worse. It was the throw out bearing.

Kevbz 03-08-2012 08:21 PM

not on my list of things to do this spring, but i guess it is now... And I've always heard so I am sure this is no exception, if you do the bearing you might as well do the whole clutch

DevilDogDoc 03-08-2012 09:07 PM

Unless you enjoy dropping the trans I would do the whole clutch set and forget about it(hopefully) for a good long while.

Kevbz 03-08-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 2119443)
Unless you enjoy dropping the trans I would do the whole clutch set and forget about it(hopefully) for a good long while.

i was just reading up on the procedure and NO, one time only sounds good to me.

div4gold 03-08-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc (Post 2119443)

x2

DevilDogDoc 03-08-2012 09:25 PM

It aint that bad, sounds worse than it is. I did mine by myself in my narrow-ass garage, on my back taking my sweet time, stopping for any reason at all in about 14-15 hours. 3 hours of that was trying to outsmart my pilot bearing which was the cause of all my troubles...$3 bearing that the last guy didnt want to fiddle with equaled clutch job for me! If I had had to hustle and not fought with the pilot it could have been done in 8 hours easy....

97wrangler-242 03-08-2012 09:27 PM

My throw out bearing went bad. Ended up driving about 50 miles with no clutch. Started it n gear when I had to stop and floated the gears. Put a rugged ridge TOB n and a Centerforce clutch kit

Kevbz 03-08-2012 09:56 PM

I always do my own work, even if there is a learning curve, alot of it has to do with seeing "Shop labor rate = 90.00hr" and my wallet shaking its head saying "your nuts if you think your gonna find that in here"... That and I like doing it.

dillinghamte2 03-08-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r (Post 2119150)
From your description, it sounds like a throw out bearing to me.

yea sounds like throw out bearing

GoldenSahara00 03-08-2012 10:01 PM

It's funny how the thought of paying a mechanic can motivate you to do great things :thumb:

Kevbz 03-08-2012 10:33 PM

whats the song?

:whistling:" ...anything you can do...I can do better" :whistling:

replace better with cheaper in my case :rolleyes:

DevilDogDoc 03-08-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97wrangler-242 (Post 2119575)
My throw out bearing went bad. Ended up driving about 50 miles with no clutch. Started it n gear when I had to stop and floated the gears. Put a rugged ridge TOB n and a Centerforce clutch kit

Brave soul right there, I wouldnt trust a RR part on the outside of my rig, nonetheless in a spot as vital and hard to get to as my clutch....

Kevbz 03-09-2012 12:45 PM

I guess it heard me talking about it because my "light raspy metallic rotating noise that dies down quickly" is now a higher pitched metallic rotating noise that is there constantly with the clutch out and only slightly lessens when I clutch in and slow down.

Just hit the Pay Now button on a LuK 01-040 kit for a 99 2.5L. Unfortunately for the price I got it at, it is getting shipped from Cali with an estimated arrival date of 3/15-3/21.

So at least a week if not more to get here. Any one care to describe what happens when the throw out bearing stops throwing out?

kwn306 03-09-2012 03:23 PM

You don't go anywhere without a lot of noise, it can sound real ugly, my suggestion would be to park it at that point. Did your kit come with the above mentioned pilot bearing? If not purchase one and replace the sucker, it would be a shame to install all new parts only to have a $3 - $6 pilot bearing tear up your new parts. Also check the bearing on the front of the transmission, if you grab the shaft and it moves back and forth, replace the bearing.

Kevbz 03-09-2012 04:44 PM

I'm parking it for the weekend and only have work next week to worry about. Hopefully she hangs in there.

And it has the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch and pressure plate with alignment tool so I'm going it all.

Bullfrog17 03-09-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevbz (Post 2121545)
I guess it heard me talking about it because my "light raspy metallic rotating noise that dies down quickly" is now a higher pitched metallic rotating noise that is there constantly with the clutch out and only slightly lessens when I clutch in and slow down.

Does it do it in each gear? Mine makes a noise similar to the feedback you get when you get hold a guitar near an amp. It only does it in 5th gear, though, so I figured mine is a bad bearing somewhere on my 5th gear. Not looking forward to that repair...

Kevbz 03-09-2012 07:56 PM

this one is mainly any speed, but you can hear it over the engine and road noise at lower speeds

Bullfrog17 03-10-2012 11:01 AM

Gotcha. Sounds like something different than mine. I have to agree with what everyone else on here says the problem is. Good luck, man.