Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Car still sputtering/hesitating (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/car-still-sputtering-hesitating-145133.html)

MickeYJ 03-08-2012 09:26 PM

Car still sputtering/hesitating
 
Guys idk what to do!!!!!
Car started sputtering like a month ago, almost like running out of fuel but it had over a tank! I took it to a mechanic on Tuesday cause they're closed weekends and on the way the it kept acting up. Once the mechanic test drove it it was fine!!! So they couldn't replicate the issue.
They still checked spark plugs, the cap, fuel pressure, and idk what else... They didn't find anything wrong.
It was fine for like 2 weeks.

Then again, last week I took it to a different mechanic, test drove it and nothing. He couldn't find anything wrong BUT he found a cable that's behind the engine that was peeled and said it as probably making contact with metal and was causing my engine to act up like that. I also had the fuel filter replaced. Well 4 hours later I drove home and didn't do it ... But it did keep doing it the next day!!?!

It does it on and off but today, I drove like 20 miles in traffic here in LA and OMG people must've thought I was learning to drive cause the car would sputter/hesitate/pull almost like I'm stalling And it looses power!!! And I don't know why!!

Any suggestions? I noticed that from start I need to give it more gas than usual... Idk what else it could be... I've researched ... But ugh just frustrated =\

I Have a 92 2.5L manual btw

1970Buick 03-08-2012 09:31 PM

Could it be the tps? Throttle position sensor

Planetisfull 03-08-2012 09:32 PM

Could be mad because you call it a car!!!

MickeYJ 03-08-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970Buick
Could it be the tps? Throttle position sensor

I told the mechanic i had read about it and he said it was ok and I also told him about the O2 sensor but nope he said its ok.

He wasn't mad about me making suggestions (he kinda liked it, he asked me on a date) lol

MickeYJ 03-08-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planetisfull
Could be mad because you call it a car!!!

THAT must be it!!! Omg lol ^^_

Dutch 95 03-08-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planetisfull (Post 2119596)
Could be mad because you call it a car!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

MickeYJ 03-08-2012 11:55 PM

Taking it back tomorrow morning :(

CaseAce000 03-09-2012 06:13 AM

Do you have air conditioning? And I'm assuming it does this when your in low RPM's and going > 10mph? Maybe even from speeds of 30mph+ and then slowing to a stop? If so it could be your ac causing you to lose a vacuum in your engine, seen it on my buddies TJ

If not, then I would recommend checking this out

How to Repair a Car Engine Hesitation - 2CarPros

LilYeller 03-09-2012 06:21 AM

On my TJ I had a problem with the crank position sensor. It was intermittent issue with sputtering and backfiring. No idea if there is one on the YJ but it might be worth checking since its a $25 part and 20 min to fix. Best of luck.

CaseAce000 03-09-2012 06:48 AM

Also, my YJ's oil gauge was fluctuating drastically like you described earlier. Ended up being my oil gauge sensor. Cheap and easy fix and now it almost precisely stays at 40psi.

Domgoldst 03-09-2012 06:53 AM

I have been having that same problem and I changed the o2 sensor, map sensor, and just recently the tps. So far its been running well and im getting better fuel mileage. Mine would start stalling and sputtering at very random times just like you described. I think he is just acting like he doesnt know whats wrong so he can keep you coming back. I vote TPS!

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseAce000
Do you have air conditioning? And I'm assuming it does this when your in low RPM's and going > 10mph? Maybe even from speeds of 30mph+ and then slowing to a stop? If so it could be your ac causing you to lose a vacuum in your engine, seen it on my buddies TJ

If not, then I would recommend checking this out

How to Repair a Car Engine Hesitation - 2CarPros

Ya no AC. Only heater. Thnk u

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseAce000
Also, my YJ's oil gauge was fluctuating drastically like you described earlier. Ended up being my oil gauge sensor. Cheap and easy fix and now it almost precisely stays at 40psi.

Would u happen to know where the sensor is? Cause I was told that the oil gauge moving like that was normal but I didn't think it was

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domgoldst
I have been having that same problem and I changed the o2 sensor, map sensor, and just recently the tps. So far its been running well and im getting better fuel mileage. Mine would start stalling and sputtering at very random times just like you described. I think he is just acting like he doesnt know whats wrong so he can keep you coming back. I vote TPS!

I taking it there in a bit... Ima remind him to check that

turdhurdler 03-09-2012 09:17 AM

Just a thought, but have you tried using a higher octane gas? Or a bottle of fuel injector cleaner? Maybe the injectors are a bit gummed up. A lot of people run a can of Sea Foam through their systems to clean everything out. Hope this helps out a bit.

Jeff

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler
Just a thought, but have you tried using a higher octane gas? Or a bottle of fuel injector cleaner? Maybe the injectors are a bit gummed up. A lot of people run a can of Sea Foam through their systems to clean everything out. Hope this helps out a bit.

Jeff

U know what, someone suggested that.... And I haven't done it. I'm scared lol. Is that the stuff u pour into your gas tank?

wwch99tj 03-09-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeYJ

Would u happen to know where the sensor is? Cause I was told that the oil gauge moving like that was normal but I didn't think it was

On the side of the block forward of the oil filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeYJ

U know what, someone suggested that.... And I haven't done it. I'm scared lol. Is that the stuff u pour into your gas tank?

You pour 1 can in your gas tank and half of another in your oil and the other half down the brake booster vacuum line.
Then change the oil in like 100 miles

Here's a youtube video on a Grand Cherokee same principal tho http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zt_oXKxe3wo

turdhurdler 03-09-2012 09:30 AM

You pour fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank. The Sea Foam, I have seen youtube videos of people putting it into the gas tank, into the brake master cylinder etc. I am sure a couple of people on here will chime in with better info on the Sea Foam subject.

Jeff

jfbilbro 03-09-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domgoldst (Post 2120417)
I have been having that same problem and I changed the o2 sensor, map sensor, and just recently the tps. So far its been running well and im getting better fuel mileage. Mine would start stalling and sputtering at very random times just like you described. I think he is just acting like he doesnt know whats wrong so he can keep you coming back. I vote TPS!

so the TPS straightened yours out, huh?...

jfbilbro 03-09-2012 09:41 AM

the oil sending unit won't cause the spitting and sputtering and hesitation, but either the CPS or the TPS will....it's acting like the TPS since it's intermittent like that....mine was doing the same until i replaced the TPS... and don't know how he said the TPS is okay since there's no test for that like there is on the CPS...sounds like you need a new mechanic

turdhurdler 03-09-2012 09:45 AM

Just thougt of something. My ex's XJ started acting up simular to what yours is doing and sometimes would not start at all. Turns out the battery was slowly giving up the ghost. Just a thought.

Jeff

Domgoldst 03-09-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfbilbro (Post 2120870)
so the TPS straightened yours out, huh?...

So far so good. I changed it about four days ago and its been running fine. I havent driven really far with it though. I remember sometimes it would start stalling and sputtering after a hour or so but then other times it wouldnt take long at all.

VinceTj 03-09-2012 09:47 AM

try SEAFOAM its really good, i used it on my 2.5 and its was day and night. Buy 2 of them, pour an entire bottle in your fuel tank before filling it up and for the secon one while the engine is idling, you remove the brake vaccum on the brake booster (you'll need the hose) you pour a lil bit of seafoam in a cup (clear plastic work the best) and you use the vaccum hose to.... vaccum the product in the intake but make sure that you dont stall your engine, play with the throttle a lil bit to vary the RPM too

VinceTj 03-09-2012 09:49 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="The Official "How To Use Sea Foam" from Sea Foam and GUY. - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the company instruction.... maybe i went overkill on mine lol

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler
Just thougt of something. My ex's XJ started acting up simular to what yours is doing and sometimes would not start at all. Turns out the battery was slowly giving up the ghost. Just a thought.

Jeff

My battery was bought dec 24th it the old one died so that was my jeeps Xmas present lol

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 10:18 AM

Wow at drive thru and just stalled. I have to give it more gas

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceTj
try SEAFOAM its really good, i used it on my 2.5 and its was day and night. Buy 2 of them, pour an entire bottle in your fuel tank before filling it up and for the secon one while the engine is idling, you remove the brake vaccum on the brake booster (you'll need the hose) you pour a lil bit of seafoam in a cup (clear plastic work the best) and you use the vaccum hose to.... vaccum the product in the intake but make sure that you dont stall your engine, play with the throttle a lil bit to vary the RPM too

Idk how to do that :(

VinceTj 03-09-2012 12:16 PM

Do you know where is the air intake (where the plastic tube become metal) you will see a bunch of small PVC tube, take the bigger one and follow it to the brake booster (its gonna look like a big black nipple) unplug the end of the hose at the brake booster and use it to ''suck'' the seafoam'' product in the intake while the engine is idling (dont be surprised the idle will raise to about 2500 rpm as soon as you unplug it

MickeYJ 03-09-2012 12:18 PM

Black nipple ? Lmao

I just dropped it off at the mechanic. Let's see what he finds.

Seriously, it was acting up on the way there... Then he drives it and... Yeah u guessed right.... NOTHING!

Master4th 03-09-2012 12:23 PM

Sounds like you need a car cam to catch the moment on tape.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.