Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Fenders: to chop or not to chop? (lifted 33's that is) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/fenders-to-chop-or-not-to-chop-lifted-33s-that-is-145201.html)

namasste 03-09-2012 10:28 AM

Fenders: to chop or not to chop? (lifted 33's that is)
 
I am going to be installing some discos in the few weeks and have been tinkering with the idea of chopping my fenders as I can already rub slightly at full stuff (rear) and the discos will make that even worse when wheeling. Eventually, I'd go for some true flats, but philosophically I just can't justify a $500 price tag for some molded plastic. Current setup is just slightly over 2" lift (coil/shock) and 33's. The 33's are pretty new (about 2k on them) so it'll be a while before I eventually go to 35's but at that point, I am sure a trim or real flats will be necessary.

So, opinion time, do flats just look dumb on my rig as it sits right now (I don't want those 33's looking tiny in there)? I mocked up an image in Photoshop for comparison before actually cutting my fenders all up so lemme know what you all think. Thanks!

http://www.sephotos.net/img/s3/v44/p1052398473-4.jpg

chopped...
http://www.sephotos.net/img/s3/v38/p826178364-4.jpg

kbwwolf 03-09-2012 10:45 AM

I actually like the look, but I'm biased, obviously. It's a lot easier to clean mud out from underneath em when they're chopped, too.

I went with the Bushwacker flatties mainly because they're a helluva lot sturdier than the chopped stockers, but they are expensive, and time-consuming to install. I also think the Bushwackers look more professional. JMO.

I think it's pretty much gonna come down to a personal preference, though if you've already had some rubbing off-road, it might be practical, as well. Especially if you eventually plan on moving up to 35's, which it seems you will. Sucker. :D

Here's a link on how to do the chop, if you decide to do it:

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Jeep JK Wrangler Factory Fender Chop

Casotakar1229 03-09-2012 10:59 AM

dude...chopped looks SO much better imo. Jeep still looks rugged but it added a nice sleek look to it as well. I just feel that it changed the look of it a lot, in a great way!

namasste 03-09-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2120896)
I actually like the look, but I'm biased, obviously. It's a lot easier to clean mud out from underneath em when they're chopped, too.

I went with the Bushwacker flatties mainly because they're a helluva lot sturdier than the chopped stockers, but they are expensive, and time-consuming to install. I also think the Bushwackers look more professional. JMO.

I think it's pretty much gonna come down to a personal preference, though if you've already had some rubbing off-road, it might be practical, as well. Especially if you eventually plan on moving up to 35's, which it seems you will. Sucker. :D

Here's a link on how to do the chop, if you decide to do it:

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource Jeep JK Wrangler Factory Fender Chop

I couldn't agree more on how much more I like the BW's than DIY look but it really comes down to what I want to spend my cash on right now. You knew the 35's were only a matter of time, didn't you? It's worse than crack!

I can't believe you didn't take a shot at that weak suck PS work I did. I spent about 5 minutes total as you can tell but at least it gave me some point of comparison.

Thanks for looking and offering an opinion. BTW, the 1D3 got turned around in 2 days at CPS but they erased all of my CFn and PFns. Grrrrrrrr.

namasste 03-09-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casotakar1229 (Post 2120951)
dude...chopped looks SO much better imo. Jeep still looks rugged but it added a nice sleek look to it as well. I just feel that it changed the look of it a lot, in a great way!

Thanks, I really appreciate the opinion on it.

kbwwolf 03-09-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namasste (Post 2120970)
I couldn't agree more on how much more I like the BW's than DIY look but it really comes down to what I want to spend my cash on right now. You knew the 35's were only a matter of time, didn't you? It's worse than crack!

I can't believe you didn't take a shot at that weak suck PS work I did. I spent about 5 minutes total as you can tell but at least it gave me some point of comparison.

Thanks for looking and offering an opinion. BTW, the 1D3 got turned around in 2 days at CPS but they erased all of my CFn and PFns. Grrrrrrrr.

Your PS work did the job. I've definitely seen worse. :D

CPS always resets everything to the factory default. I think it's a function of computer diagnostics. First thing I do whenever I get a camera back from them is go through all the CF's and reset em to my preferences.

namasste 03-09-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2121069)
Your PS work did the job. I've definitely seen worse. :D

CPS always resets everything to the factory default. I think it's a function of computer diagnostics. First thing I do whenever I get a camera back from them is go through all the CF's and reset em to my preferences.

yeah but stupid me can't find my sheet where I had them all listed. This time, I'm saving them to a separate card.

Powertrip 03-10-2012 12:37 AM

Chop 'em!! I just did mine a couple days ago. i also have 33's. I think it looks great. Check out the pics here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/cutt...ml#post2119895

kjeeper10 03-10-2012 05:47 AM

I love it how you left the lip.

I think it looks good but cheap sometimes.

First time I have seen them that way.even photoshopped. (thinking)

:drool:

JEEPDON 03-10-2012 05:58 AM

Does it look dumb?? No; but then, I have a very biased opinion!!
This is with 33's and NO lift. I have since added TF leveling kit.
And yes, there is some minor rubbing in rear when fully stuffed!
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...v/100_0912.jpg

namasste 03-10-2012 12:22 PM

Glad to feel the support guys. I'll definitely post pics if I do it. Not sure when that might happen but I hope I'll find time soon.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.