Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Stereo questions. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/stereo-questions-145299.html)

mjbuck 03-09-2012 04:07 PM

Stereo questions.

I'm in the process of updating the stereo in my new Jeep. I brought it to a local stereo shop here in town to get an opinion and suggestions. I've used this shop on numerous ocassions and they excellent work. For some reason, I left there today not feeling too confident they "got" exactly what I was looking to do and what quality of sound, etc., that I was looking for. I've been looking at Quadratec and other Jeep sites that sell stereo upgrade stuff (Custom rear subwoofer kits with the amp built in). Any one have any experience with this type of equipment upgrades? The stuff from Quadratec looks so easy and convenient, just wondering if their stuff or similar stuff from other companies is quality stuff. Thank you.

Ibuildembig 03-09-2012 04:14 PM

Quadratec should be more expensive than your local shop.....at least I know I am cheaper than they are. You just want to add some bass?

I-Want-A-Jeep 03-09-2012 05:01 PM

Piece it together and install it yourself. You'll be much happier with the final outcome and you'll get a lot more for your $$!

Powertrip 03-09-2012 11:25 PM

I always buy my stereo equipment from Crutchfield.com. They usually have great prices, they include all the stuff you need for the install, and they back up their merchandise. The head unit I bought from them for my TJ was defective, they sent me a new one for free.

Ibuildembig 03-09-2012 11:48 PM

Crutchfield was fine back in the early 90's, but they are overpriced compared to most local retailers and have less than half the knowhow

I-Want-A-Jeep 03-10-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2123909)
Crutchfield was fine back in the early 90's, but they are overpriced compared to most local retailers and have less than half the knowhow

You can't be serious...

Yeah Crutchfield has changed in the past several years but I just bought a head unit a few weeks ago from there that was $60 cheaper than ANYWHERE else I could find it.. It was on mark down plus I found a coupon code online for another $20 off.. Plus the install kit, wiring harness, antenna adapter, and antenna extension cord (that I didn't even use) was all included FOR FREE.

I don't buy everything from there but if you choose your battles, Crutchfield can help you A LOT!!

Powertrip 03-10-2012 04:30 AM

^^^ What he said! ^^^

cork1958 03-10-2012 05:15 AM

Crutchfield, as is the case anywhere, can be and is over priced on some items, but cheaper on others. It's all about taking the time to shop around. I still buy from them occasionally.

With today's internet speeds, heck, you can shop the whole dang world in a matter of minutes (if you're a slow reader and on a real low tier internet speed) :)

LiftedTj 03-10-2012 06:01 AM

I agree X4 on Crutchfield. I have bought all but one HU from Crutchfield. The one that didnt come from there came from Test Buy and stopped reading discs after about 2 weeks of usage. That was about 10 years ago. Since then i found crutchfield to be very helpful in my selection of audio components. I've purchased six HUs from them. 2 for my dad after his was stolen. 3 for myself after 2 of mine were stolen, 1 for my sister. I also purchase speakers in all size from them. Their instructions are foolproof. Its been about 8 months since ive gotten anything, but some new 5 1/4" and 4x6"s are being researched and priced.

As for HUs ive always gone with JVC. IMO they seem to have all the features im looking for. I have had 2 Blaupunkt's also and them seem to be great HUs, one lasted about 7 years before it started to go. However i have always ran their speakers. Blaupunkts are so crisp and clear its amazing. I ran their 6x9s in my 86 Cougar. They were the best speakers i have ever found. The cone was transparent blue and could be backlit for a cool effect. Ive also purchased 2 12" Audiobahn subs and a 800w Kenwood 4 channel amp. Those are some very impressive subs, the amp was good, just not nearly powerful enough. 800w compared to the subs at 1000w RMS un-bridged. I really should have gotten a better amp but thats all gone now and all thats left is a JVC HU.

JimN 03-10-2012 07:27 AM

Agree with the comments on Crutchfield. Ordered a Kenwood Head Unit (mainly for more power and iPod connectivity). Came with EVERYTHING I needed for a pretty easy install on my 06 TJ Unlimited. More power, however, revealed just how weak the stock speakers were, so went to Best Buy during a speaker sale and picked up Polks for the front, Kickers for the sound bar @ really good prices. Install was easy. Have the factory sub still, and will keep that until it blows (which could be a lot sooner now), but both Crutchfield and Best Buy had very helpful staff and competitive prices. I caution us all on relying strictly on cheapest online price. At some point we put a lot of fellow Americans out of work, and there is value in knowledge and service. imho.

LilYeller 03-10-2012 07:49 AM

Go ahead and buy your HU from them but dont go and ask any technical questions lol. They are lacking some serious install knowledge.

To the OP. first off... Dont think you will get any quality sound out of your TJ without some serious modifying. The speakers are in all the wrong places, the staging is all off and there isnt nearly enough room in the trunk area for the correct box you will need to get good sound from a sub with the top off. Second, there are some good products out there that will help with this (ie, speaker pods for the floor in the front, prebuilt sub boxes that take up the WHOLE rear trunk area) but those are usually overpriced. I mean $100 for speaker pods that go on the floor in the front or spend $25 on some wood, caulking, and spray on bedliner and make your own. Either way you go the speakers need to be removed from that front dash and placed in an area that you can seal off to get the best sound.

As for the sub box, no personal experience with Qtech stuff but I can tell you that they load them with good subs "Kicker L3" but then put the worst amp on them, "Force" I mean really!?! a 1200 watt amp that isnt 10" wide? thats laughable. These companies that put these packages together only want to make the most money with the least cost.

Bottom line is this, go to your local shop (or another one) and talk with them. These are the people that install for a living and know what they are talking about, not just reading specs from a piece of paper and saying "hmm, im sure this will work"

Knowledge97 03-10-2012 07:54 AM

I say look around on the internet and find the best prices and then do the install yourself. With the carpet the way it is and the ease of removing the dash, the Wrangler is probably the easiest vehicle to install a system.

life iz good 03-10-2012 08:07 AM

audio-warehouse.com is another good online retailer you can check out. I bought my amp from Crutchfield and they had the best price for what I was looking for.

Ibuildembig 03-10-2012 09:38 AM

Yes I am serious...I make my living beating their price every day :)