Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Pics Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/)
-   -   Will these wheels/tires rub on my '12 Unlimited? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/will-these-wheels-tires-rub-on-my-12-unlimited-145405.html)

tggentry 03-10-2012 03:59 AM

Will these wheels/tires rub on my '12 Unlimited?
 
I am installing a set of 18x9 (zero offset) XD Rockstar wheels with 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my '12 Unlimited Safari. The stock tires are 255/70R18. Will there be any fitment issues? I am not planning on any type of lift. Thanks!

rics1997 03-10-2012 07:11 AM

Should have no issues as long as you don't disconnect your sway bar. With zero offset, you should be about to go up to a 315's in width. Of course you would need a small lift for tires that size. But with no lift and zero offset you should be able to go with the 275/70/18 with no problem except if you disconnect and go to full articulation on the trail. There you may rub your fender just a little.

4fit 03-10-2012 07:30 AM

In my opinion, you can't really go by offset to determine if it will rub or not. Backspacing is much more appropriate to use to me.

The OPs wheels will have 5" of backspacing. It is true that the OP shouldn't have any issues running such a narrow tire with that backspacing.

But using the logic that a 315 should fit on a 0 offset wheel....
That is like saying a 315 (12.5") tire can fit on a 10" rim with 0 offset. That would equate to 5.5" of backspace. And the tire would make contact with the airdam and front sway bar.

For the JK, the magic number for use of tires up to 315 (12.5") seems to be 4.5" backspacing (which would be 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel).

Just my 2 pennies.

kjeeper10 03-10-2012 07:56 AM

Lol.... The tire guys ^^

Both got all their experience working at Town fair tire :D

4fit 03-10-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Lol.... The tire guys ^^

Both got all their experience working at Town fair tire :D

:rofl:

kjeeper10 03-10-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit

:rofl:

:whistling: and :hide: hahaha

kbwwolf 03-10-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 2124360)
Should have no issues as long as you don't disconnect your sway bar. With zero offset, you should be about to go up to a 315's in width. Of course you would need a small lift for tires that size. But with no lift and zero offset you should be able to go with the 275/70/18 with no problem except if you disconnect and go to full articulation on the trail. There you may rub your fender just a little.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2124387)
In my opinion, you can't really go by offset to determine if it will rub or not. Backspacing is much more appropriate to use to me.

The OPs wheels will have 5" of backspacing. It is true that the OP shouldn't have any issues running such a narrow tire with that backspacing.

But using the logic that a 315 should fit on a 0 offset wheel....
That is like saying a 315 (12.5") tire can fit on a 10" rim with 0 offset. That would equate to 5.5" of backspace. And the tire would make contact with the airdam and front sway bar.

For the JK, the magic number for use of tires up to 315 (12.5") seems to be 4.5" backspacing (which would be 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel).

Just my 2 pennies.

Duelling mathematicians. :cool:

Just ask if you need to know how to spell syzygy. Oh, wait...

rics1997 03-10-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2124387)
In my opinion, you can't really go by offset to determine if it will rub or not. Backspacing is much more appropriate to use to me.

The OPs wheels will have 5" of backspacing. It is true that the OP shouldn't have any issues running such a narrow tire with that backspacing.

But using the logic that a 315 should fit on a 0 offset wheel....
That is like saying a 315 (12.5") tire can fit on a 10" rim with 0 offset. That would equate to 5.5" of backspace. And the tire would make contact with the airdam and front sway bar.

For the JK, the magic number for use of tires up to 315 (12.5") seems to be 4.5" backspacing (which would be 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel).

Just my 2 pennies.



Backspace is the worst use of measurement. Offset is the best. Offset never changes no matter what the wheel width or size is but backspace does. A 8" wide wheel requiring a 4.5" bs is 0 offset while a 10" wide wheel with a 0 offset and will set exactly the same as the 8" wide wheel with 0 offset yet the backspace is 5.5"

Backspace is absolutely the worst form of measurement. You are looking at it backwards

rics1997 03-10-2012 04:43 PM

Here is why. How do you measure offset? You measure from the center of the wheel. If you have 0 offset that means the center of the wheel mounts flush to the hub directly where half the wheel is on one side of the hub face and half the wheel sets inside the hub face. It doesn't matter what size the wheel is, this will be true. And since the tire sits equally centered to the wheel then 0 offset means half the tire sits on one side of the hub and half on the other. It doesn't matter if the wheel is 2" wide or 12" wide, half and half meaning tire sits half and half no matter it's size

Remeber the wheel really doesn't matter because it is the tire that rubs not the wheel. So since a 12" wide tire on a 8" wide wheel with 0 offset the TIRE will sit 6" behind the hub and 6" in front. The same 12" wide TIRE on a 11" wheel will still sit 6" on one side of the hub and six inches on the other. Doesn't matter the wheel size or tire size at a 0 offset the tire will sit half and half.

That means the TIRE will sit exactly the same stance as long as the OFFSET is the same

On the other hand a 8" wide wheel with 4.5" backspace that has a 12" wide TIRE would have the TIRE sitting 6" on one side of the hub and 6" on the other. While a 10" wheel with a 4.5 backspace which means the front space will be 5.5". And since the tire sits on the wheel equally on each side means it will push the tire to the outside by 1". Now the 12" TIRE now sits 5.5" on the inside of the hub and 6.5" on the outside.

That means a 8" with 4.5"bs has a smaller stance then the 10" with 4.5"bs While if both had 0 offset they would sit exactly the same.

A 8" wide wheel with 4.5" bs will let the TIRE sit exactly the same as a 10" wide wheel with 5.5" bs. And yes both have a 0 offset. This is because the 12" wide tire will hang over a smaller wheel more then it will a larger one. You will have and extra inch of tire hanging over the 8" wide wheel then the 10" so the 8" wide wheel needs the 1 extra bs to account for the tire size.

4fit 03-10-2012 04:52 PM

Alright ric. I follow what you are saying. I still prefer to use backspacing as my measurement of choice, but I do follow what you mean.

SolarStar 03-17-2012 03:30 PM

Since I have some experts here

I am going to be running 35x12.5x18 on an 18x9 wheel.

What offset number am I looking at to get the magical 4.5 of BS everyone says u need for no rub.

If thats not the case what are the minimum #s I need to look for regarding offset and BS.

Thank you in advance.

rics1997 03-17-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarStar (Post 2150592)
Since I have some experts here

I am going to be running 35x12.5x18 on an 18x9 wheel.

What offset number am I looking at to get the magical 4.5 of BS everyone says u need for no rub.

If thats not the case what are the minimum #s I need to look for regarding offset and BS.

Thank you in advance.


For 12.5" tires on any wheel you need 0 offset on a JK


18X9 wheel need a minimum of 0 offset which is 5" bs

4.5" is needed for 8" wide wheels


------------------------------------


Here is a guide I wrote up for someone else:

15" wheel need at least 3.75" bs so not to rub caliper no matter how wide the wheel

16" wide wheels need at least 4.25" bs for the same reason as above

That applies to alloy and some steel but there can be exceptions. Most steel 15" will not fit.

17" and larger wheel need the following for 315 mm or 12.5" tires

7.5" wide wheels need 4.25 bs
8" wide wheels need 4.5" bs
8.5" wheel need at least 4.75 bs
9" wide wheels need 5" bs
9.5" needs 5.25" bs
10" need 5.5" bs
10.5 need 5.75" bs
11" Not recommended needs 6" bs.

All these are 0 offset but you can use less offset of -12 or -19 but the tire will stick out further past the fender with these offsets

SolarStar 03-20-2012 02:32 PM

Could I run a 17x9 wheel with an offset of -24 w a 35x12.5 tire?

4fit 03-20-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarStar
Could I run a 17x9 wheel with an offset of -24 w a 35x12.5 tire?

That would put backspacing at around 4.1". You could run that fine, but the wheels and tire will sit further out from the Jeep than one with a greater backspace. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just making you aware.

SolarStar 03-20-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit

That would put backspacing at around 4.1". You could run that fine, but the wheels and tire will sit further out from the Jeep than one with a greater backspace. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just making you aware.

Great thanks.

I don't mind them sticking out a little further.

FreezerJeep 03-20-2012 03:16 PM

My head has been blown.

ESP 03-20-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreezerJeep (Post 2161195)
My head has been blown.

:popcorn:

SolarStar 03-20-2012 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the help.

Went and order my wheels today.

vagos 06-20-2012 05:44 PM

weels
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tggentry (Post 2124203)
I am installing a set of 18x9 (zero offset) XD Rockstar wheels with 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my '12 Unlimited Safari. The stock tires are 255/70R18. Will there be any fitment issues? I am not planning on any type of lift. Thanks!

from where did you get your xd weels I wiil like to get the same.
Give me some info,please.Thanks

XJ Knight 06-20-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagos (Post 2495293)
from where did you get your xd weels I wiil like to get the same.
Give me some info,please.Thanks

The OP has not been on since March.. Discount tire sells them I think and if you go through the discount tire rep here, you will probably get the best deal on them, I'll be it worth looking around


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.