Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Power Issues (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/power-issues-145527.html)

SutherlandUSMC 03-10-2012 07:15 PM

Power Issues

So I have ideas as to the problem but if anyone has a surefire solution please tell me so I don't have to spend all day tinkering. It's been downpouring for 6 days here. I start my 99 Wrangler TJ perfectly fine this morning and drove to work. Went to start it again, turned the key, heard a small pop and nothing happened. No lights, no radio, no starter, no gauges, nothing. Battery is in good condition. I'm thinking fuse. Any suggestions?

ChiliJeep 03-10-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SutherlandUSMC
So I have ideas as to the problem but if anyone has a surefire solution please tell me so I don't have to spend all day tinkering. It's been downpouring for 6 days here. I start my 99 Wrangler TJ perfectly fine this morning and drove to work. Went to start it again, turned the key, heard a small pop and nothing happened. No lights, no radio, no starter, no gauges, nothing. Battery is in good condition. I'm thinking fuse. Any suggestions?

You said its been raining there for 6 days my bet is the rain shorted a wire. I would think check your fuse, but before turning on look for water under hood causing the fuse to blow...otherwise until it dries it probably will continue doing it

SutherlandUSMC 03-10-2012 07:29 PM

It stopped raining last night and was pretty dry when I started it this morning. It sat in the sun all morning then randomly did this. I'll check when I get home. I only have a bikini top on my jeep, if this helps.

Patrick H 03-10-2012 07:35 PM

Sounds to me like the actuator between the ignition lock cylinder and the switch itself broke.

SutherlandUSMC 03-13-2012 05:01 AM

So, I jumped the battery. It started and held a charge for about 2 hours. Prior to that 2 hours I started and stopped it 3 or 4 times. Now it's dead again. I'm pretty sure I've ruled out the solenoid, alternator and starter. Could it be the battery or maybe a short somewhere? Any suggestions?

jp2611 03-13-2012 05:06 AM

We are all shooting in the dark.....and intermittent problems are a PIA....unfortunately the only guess/ suggestion I got is to check your wiring. Loose or bad wire connection somewhere I am thinking. Good Luck!!

SutherlandUSMC 03-13-2012 05:45 AM

Is there any diagnostic I can run to find the source if its a wiring problem?? I really would prefer to not tear out my console in search of this problem.

MILOJ 03-13-2012 09:18 AM

Last summer my wifes jeep did the same thing she said it made a noise then when she tryied to start it the battery was dead. Somehow the battery shorted inside and would not hold a full charge I replaced the battery and no more problem. Take it and have the battery and alternator output tested it could be a simple fix thats the ones I like.

Gesedl 03-13-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MILOJ (Post 2134943)
Last summer my wifes jeep did the same thing she said it made a noise then when she tryied to start it the battery was dead. Somehow the battery shorted inside and would not hold a full charge I replaced the battery and no more problem. Take it and have the battery and alternator output tested it could be a simple fix thats the ones I like.

+1 - Get your battery tested at any chain autopart store for free - probably save you a massive headache.

SutherlandUSMC 03-15-2012 07:30 PM

It was a bad battery and a simple wiring fix. Problem solved! Thanks guys!

jp2611 03-15-2012 07:37 PM

Always like the easy fixes!! Good for you!