Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   F'N Torx bolts!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/fn-torx-bolts-14579.html)

skeez2v 01-06-2008 07:05 AM

F'N Torx bolts!!!

Well I stripped out 2 F'N torx bolts trying to remove them to install my new kc slim lites on some windshield mount brackets. So now I've got to locate some replacements. I tried to search on this site and the Internet but I keep coming across replacement windshield hinge bolts. The bolts that I stripped out are not on the hinge itself but instead are the 2 above the hinge on the passenger side windshield channel. I quess what I'm trying to ask is, are all the torx bolts the same size and type on the windshield except for the long black one with the washer on it? Can I use hinge bolts to replace these bolts that I stripped out? Thanks for the help,

skeez

Triple88a 01-06-2008 11:59 AM

Did you take out the screw after all or is it still in there? If yes than take it to your local ACE HARDWARE store and see if they have replacements. You should be able to find the same ones in no time and then paint them if you need to so they are the same color as the body. New screw from ace would cost ya 20-30 cents.

richp 01-06-2008 12:45 PM

To remove those bolts, take a good torx 3/8 socket, not a cheapie cast one like the auto parts stores sell but a good one with a seperate socket and torx insert.
Take a 1/2" ratchet and a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, put the adapter on the torx socket, set it in the torx bolt to be removed, smack it once with a ballpeen hammer, this will bottom out the torx and force the paint in the hole to flow around the torx bit. Don't let go of the socket or move it, then put the 1/2 inch ratchet on and using a strong steady pressure break it loose. I've probably done 20 or more TJ windshield removals this way, guy at a jeep recycling yard showed me this method. Keep a strong steay pushing pressure on the back of the ratchet with the heel of your free hand to keep it seated as far down as possible, I put my whole body in that part.

Triple88a 01-06-2008 12:47 PM

lol no offence but torx bolts suk badly.

Jonny15 01-06-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richp (Post 179291)
To remove those bolts, take a good torx 3/8 socket, not a cheapie cast one like the auto parts stores sell but a good one with a seperate socket and torx insert.
Take a 1/2" ratchet and a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, put the adapter on the torx socket, set it in the torx bolt to be removed, smack it once with a ballpeen hammer, this will bottom out the torx and force the paint in the hole to flow around the torx bit. Don't let go of the socket or move it, then put the 1/2 inch ratchet on and using a strong steady pressure break it loose. I've probably done 20 or more TJ windshield removals this way, guy at a jeep recycling yard showed me this method. Keep a strong steay pushing pressure on the back of the ratchet with the heel of your free hand to keep it seated as far down as possible, I put my whole body in that part.

This is the best method ive found for getting stuck torx bolts out without stripping them. I attempted to remove the torx bolts on my bumper last night without doing this first and they would budge. Then I went and got a hammer, gave each one a good couple raps with the hammer with the driver still in the bolt, and with steady force they came out with no problems.

orange05tj 01-06-2008 03:39 PM

Every single one of my torx srews are stripped. Thats why I have 2 on each light bracket.

skeez2v 01-06-2008 03:52 PM

Thanks for the help fellas. I wasn't sure if this was a specialty bolt? I went to M&D Supply down the road and found some stainless allen head screws with the same bolt pattern and length cost me a total of about $6. You guys are the sh**!

RichP, I used your method after i had given two of my screws a trip to the dumpster already. It took me 2 hrs, a chisel, 3 drill bits, and an ez out to get one of those SOB's out. Thank God Snap On makes some KICK ASS Ez outs because I was fixing to just give up.

Life Lesson #1---be prepared, ask around for advice before starting projects.
Life Lesson #2---If you bypassed Lesson #1--Get a Hammer :crash:and some beer...It's going to be a long day!!!

Thanks again for all of the help guys.:punk:

Skeez

kg4kpg 01-06-2008 09:22 PM

You can get new bolts here:
Fastenal
4665 Fannett
Beaumont, TX 77705
P: (409)842-2706
F: (409)842-2890
http://www.fastenal.com
Every bolt you can imagine. If it's only a couple you might get them free, they did for me when I needed two for my light mounts. They may even have a good kit for removing stripped bolts.