Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Why a yj over tj????? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/why-a-yj-over-tj-145823.html)

gmcnutt13 03-12-2012 11:32 AM

Why a yj over tj?????

Just bought a 88 YJ a couple of months ago. Its a 4.2, 5 speed, 3" lift with 32" tires, hard top. fairly clean. Iv posted a couple threads on the 8.8 Conversion and SOA that was going to be my plan with her. But i just went out wheelin with a buddy with a TJ RUBICON with the stock lockers and 2" lift and 32" tires. He was able to wheel all over me because of the lockers. :banghead: I love the YJ and the body style and the simplicity of it all, but would i save money by buying a TJ and just lifting it with larger tires. I know they are more expensive to purchase but was curious if anyone has kicked this around before. What are the Pros and CONS????
Thanks

BT 03-12-2012 11:43 AM

TJ's are only better in the comfort department IMO. The soft top on a TJ is WAY easier to take off and put back on. The seats are more comfortable the heater is more than likely better because it's a newer vehicle. If you put a locker in your YJ you'll match your buddy and his TJ stride for stride, providing you are smart and choose the right line for an obstacle. A rig can't do it all. If you like the way a YJ looks stick with it. I have a '91 YJ with a 4.0 and my father has a '97 TJ with a 2.5. We both have 5 inches of lift. i'm running 32's and he is running 33's. We match each other performance wise on the trail.

Timberwolf 03-12-2012 12:09 PM

lockers and a 8.8 are a lot cheaper than a TJ

gmcnutt13 03-12-2012 01:17 PM

What about Wheel Travel, or articulation. When i do the SOA and the 8.8 which i already have will i have just as much if not more? And i want to run 35" tires what springs would i put on that thing because i dont want it to be to high.

YJman 03-12-2012 01:22 PM

I've seen YJs on an SOA flex just as much as lifted tjs :)

denisbaldwin 03-12-2012 01:42 PM

For me, YJ was cheaper and easier to get. If I could have gotten a TJ, I would have. Then again, to me a Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep. I love them all.

gmcnutt13 03-12-2012 01:55 PM

Im just curious why people would buy the TJ over a YJ. If it is just looks or also performance. And i want to find out what springs i should run with the SOA and 35" tires. Someone told me stockers but truthfully im not sure. I want as much flex as possible i could care less how it rides on the road.

Xpress 03-12-2012 02:00 PM

No reason. TJ just rides better on the road and has a better heater, and better interior. Offroad performance depends on how good of a driver you are, how well you know your vehicle, and if you have good tires or not. You don't NEED lockers to offroad, they're a luxury to have though.

CharTay 03-12-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress
No reason. TJ just rides better on the road and has a better heater, and better interior. Offroad performance depends on how good of a driver you are, how well you know your vehicle, and if you have good tires or not. You don't NEED lockers to offroad, they're a luxury to have though.

Definitely how u drive a can do just as good with my brother and he's got lockers. In the snow mud. Rocks....I lose everytime

YJmaddness 03-12-2012 02:42 PM

a lot of people are running a waggy spring front and rear. they give you a bit of stretch and just enough lift to clear nice sized tires. right now i have 3.5 inch springs with 33"s SOA and i am super tall. My next huge project will be the waggy stretch, which will lower me a bit, JK Rubi 44's with 37"s then i think i will have what i really want. plenty of lift tire clearance and flex.
I believe that "darkproximity" is running the waggy springs soa....

jr78racer 03-12-2012 08:02 PM

if money wasnt a factor i'd start with a 2006 LJ rubicon. since i don't have that money my 1992 YJ will have to do. with the sway bar and trac bars gone it flexes good enough to keep the wheels on the ground most of the time. the front diff is welded and a posilock disengages it. the back axle has a detroit in it. with 33's i haven't been stuck yet, but i also know its limitations...........ground clearance

tyborbogdan 03-12-2012 08:47 PM

I Think the YJ is better.. cuz I own one ;)

But in all seriousness, I would just invest in lockers and enjoy your YJ.

gmcnutt13 03-13-2012 10:41 AM

Well thanks for all the help guys. What are the exact advantages of a SOA? Obviously ground clearance but does it get you that much more flex or travel? I'm really surprised someone doesn't make a whole kit with leafs, and shocks and all. I have seen M. O. R. E but doesn't come with it all.

Ibuildembig 03-13-2012 10:47 AM

Stock springs with SOA and front track bar still attached. She will go up another 5-6 inches if I took the flares off. You just have to like a TJ, me personally I hate um. I dont like the ride, you sit too low, hate the dash and airbags, the expensive lift kits, and all of them have the potential to death wobble.

http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...A/IMG_6553.jpg

gmcnutt13 03-13-2012 11:09 AM

Wow, Very nice. That answers my question about the stock springs because i dont want it to be overly tall. That really made me want to get the ball rolling on this now. What size tires are those?

Ibuildembig 03-13-2012 11:12 AM

305/75-16....basically a 33x12.50

gmcnutt13 03-13-2012 11:21 AM

Can you Squeez a 35 in their no prob? Im going to get fenders also. And do they still sell New stock springs for them?

denisbaldwin 03-13-2012 11:22 AM

I'm going with the Rubicon Express SOA kit for exactly the points you mentioned (more ground clearance, more flex, etc). It's more expensive but my existing leaf springs are pretty much shot anyway and it's worth the $1000 to have all new underneath.

Ibuildembig 03-13-2012 11:26 AM

No a 35 will not fit with a traditional SOA, you will either need a 2 inch spring or cutouts

gmcnutt13 03-13-2012 12:20 PM

Thats Exactly what i was looking for. The idiot i bought my jeep from lifted it and put a set of leafs off of something and drilled a new hole farther up on the front spring hangers. I hate stuff not being done right. Thanks. If anyone else has any other suggestions feel free.

VincentC804 03-18-2012 08:48 AM

Speaking strictly from an asthetic point of view, I prefer the older look of the dash board in the YJ's than the "car" looking TJ's. The old CJ's and YJ's are the bomb looks wise for me..but they're all good.

Jeep-O-Matic 03-18-2012 09:50 AM

Setting aside age related problems...I've had 76 CJ-5, 84 CJ-7, 98 TJ, 95 YJ, 90 YJ, and now a 93 YJ (I get bored easily)...In stock form the YJ is the least capable out of all of these, but you can do an SOA on the CJ/YJ for next to nothing and have a great ride.

VincentC804 03-19-2012 05:42 AM

The new style "car" gauges just ruin the interior of the new Jeeps for me...

cronz 03-19-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep-O-Matic
but you can do an SOA on the CJ/YJ for next to nothing

Definition of nothing? :rofl:

gmcnutt13 03-19-2012 10:55 AM

Yeah i agree, I think ultimately i am going to stick with my YJ. Iv got the 8.8 already, I know im going to go with the SOA. Just debating on the front D30 right now and pondering on what lockers to put in them both. I dont really have the $$$$ for the ARB or OX. But i would say i drive it about 50/50 street and crawling. Oh Decisions decisions.

YJ325i 03-19-2012 09:16 PM

I did not choose my Jeep, per say, my Dad was just selling his hunting vehicle, but I am very happy with my 95, I fix modern cars for a living, and love having a rig with no Airbags, ABS, coil springs, car seats, cheap plastic HVAC controls, warning lights, etc etc. that's just me, and TJ's are twice the cost .

Drix 03-19-2012 10:56 PM

went with a YJ because I knew I would be modding it. YJ's can be had for less that means more money for mods.

Norcal_Chris 03-20-2012 12:20 AM

I would have rather had a TJ.

But i picked up a YJ for really cheap so went with that. I think the square headlights are foul, and not a fan of the interior per say. But figured even if i got a TJ i would be changing the Links and refabbing, so the YJ works just as well.

95YamJam 03-20-2012 07:00 AM

I had a Tj. It was a great little jeep. Sold it for a profit a few years ago. When I wanted a jeep again and I looked at the prices and my budget and the YJ just fit. I also knew I would me modding it and offroading it so again the Yj just fit better there for budget.

joeylead 03-20-2012 11:43 AM

When i was looking for a wrangler, i wanted a TJ. I like the look better, round headlights, and the much nicer interior. By me, you cant touch a stock 4.0 TJ for under 6K. I got my 92 YJ with mods for 3k. More money for mods and repairs (it is a jeep after all...lol). Yes its got a rusty tub, but it runs very well. besides now I dont care when i beat on it offroad. its not my daily driver so its no biggie. But a TJ would probably make for a better DD.