Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   First Jeep :D (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/first-jeep-d-146196.html)

KelleyThomsen 03-13-2012 09:07 PM

First Jeep :D

1 Attachment(s)
So proud to be part of the Jeep community! Just bought my first Jeep today for 1800$. It's a 1967 CJ-5, standard, with a rebuilt engine and a fiberglass tub. No top or doors, but it runs like a champ. Probably gonna just flip through my JC Whitney catalog and buy some new parts. I've got about 2000$ available for upgrades. Any thoughts/ideas and sites for parts is greatly appreciated!

KelleyThomsen 03-13-2012 09:20 PM

Updates on my progress coming soon!

Rusty Knutt 03-13-2012 11:27 PM

:popcorn:

1800 for a strong runner...not bad at all. Does it have the buick v6? If so, I for one am jealous.

KelleyThomsen 03-13-2012 11:40 PM

It DOES have the Buick V6. The thing roars. I was originally planning on buying an automatic 1995 YJ for 3800$, but the guy sold it 15 minutes after I looked at it. He called me back that day and asked me if I'd be interested in looking at the '67 CJ. Guess he needed money to blow on other projects and felt bad letting the CJ sit. He figured he'd give it a good home. I checked it out and instantly fell in love with it. It's definitely a man's jeep. No power anything. Just a bare bones American automobile. Can't wait to get to work on this thing. I'm yanking the seats out this weekend, fixing my wiper blades/switch, and buying new soft doors/soft top as well as a new set of mirrors. Might buy some new bumpers if I have any money left over.

Dempsey 03-14-2012 10:53 AM

:punk:

I think there is a forum or 2 just for early cj's...might be a good place to pickup knowledge and parts. Keep up posted on the updates.

lynn 03-14-2012 12:02 PM

AVOID JC Whitney! Expensive, slow delivery of 95% crappy parts.

The BEST thing you can do is register for the forums at earlycj5.com. Like Dempsey said, it's a forum just for early CJs.

The members there all own (or have owned, like me) early CJ5s just like yours. I had a '71 I modified over a 16-year period...
The guys there are experts in the Dauntless V6, repairs, upgrades, mods, restoration... it is the best source of knowledge available on the web for 1955-1975 CJs. We can give you all of the best info onparts sources that are quality and reliable.

You've got a nice one there, and I'd hate to see you waste your money on bad parts suppliers, or mods that don't work well...

See you there !!

sean112280 03-14-2012 03:31 PM

Try Morris 4x4. I have a '74 CJ5 and ordered a tie rod and got it in3 days

Rusty Knutt 03-14-2012 04:33 PM

JAW is mostly junk....chinese junk at that. buy American when ever you can...if you really are going to spend that 2k, id buy a welder and find someone to teach you how to or take a class...then you can build your own bumpers....don't know your mechanical apptitude but I would just do a basic tuneup and fluid change on the drivetrain....and ride out.

KelleyThomsen 03-15-2012 02:32 PM

I've heard that a lot of soft tops/doors dont fit well on the fiberglass jeeps. Anyone know if that's true? I'm not opposed to drilling new holes for the hardware, but I figured it'd be easier to find a top that fit properly.

1ATony 03-15-2012 03:02 PM

Pretty cool lookin Jeep Kelly. Love the old CJs

Tarby 03-15-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelleyThomsen (Post 2143576)
I've heard that a lot of soft tops/doors dont fit well on the fiberglass jeeps. Anyone know if that's true? I'm not opposed to drilling new holes for the hardware, but I figured it'd be easier to find a top that fit properly.

If you get a kit to mount the top onto a fiberglass body, you'll be farther ahead. 4wd and Quadratec sell them...4wd Hardware has more vintage stuff for the older CJ's in my opinion. I just traded my 1972 CJ 5 with factory V8, and I put the Bestop Supertop on my CJ 5 with the fiberglass mounting kit. You'll find you have to adjust the doors and strikers, and the windshield frame to the tub, as there is more flex with the 'glass version tub where the windshield mounts to it.

You'll have a nice rig, the old Dauntless oddfire Buick engine is a great engine. As Lynn said above, Early CJ5 forum is the best place to go for great info. on the Pre-1976 cjs...we both still belong even without our old rigs:punk:

KelleyThomsen 03-16-2012 03:01 PM

Day 1.

3 Attachment(s)
Things Done.

-Ordered new wipers
-Salvaged the wiper switch/motors
-Removed bikini top (hahaha)
-Yanked out the front seats
-Took apart back seat

Cj7otr 03-16-2012 06:28 PM

I had a '73 CJ 5 and a '71 jeepster commando. I can't recall which one had the dauntless, but I loved the engine.

Looks like you got a great jeep and a great price. Welcome to the real jeepers community. Anyone can go buy a newer jeep, but only a few are willing to build their own!

Dempsey 03-16-2012 08:40 PM

Just read your jeep profile and saw this was your first vehicle.

My cj wasn't my first but what I drove the most in high school. Had a really good time in high school and college! :punk:

If you have any questions don't hesitate to post.

KelleyThomsen 03-19-2012 05:57 PM

DAY 2 (No Pictures)

-Yanked the back seat
-Fixed the fog lights
-Fixed body flaws
-Replaced seatbelts
-Removed stickers from previous owner
-Sanded down the body

Tomorrow means finishing up the body work and quite possibly paint!

Rusty Knutt 03-19-2012 09:44 PM

Keep it up man. You got this!

Dgrimjeeper 03-20-2012 12:55 AM

Looking sick! Post pics if you get the chance. I think you got at great deal for that price. Keep it up :thumb:

:popcorn:

KelleyThomsen 03-23-2012 08:39 AM

Day 3

5 Attachment(s)
Mainly cosmetic issues lately
-Applied body filler
-Fixed dents in the hood
-Hosed out the inside
-Primed for paint

KelleyThomsen 03-23-2012 08:46 AM

Day 4

5 Attachment(s)
Basically designated as a paint day. Day 5 will consist of painting the grill/middle of the hood black as well as doing minor re-assembly. Lemme know what ya'll think of the Jeep so far!

Cj7otr 03-23-2012 05:39 PM

Dang! I hope my kids that motivated and mechanical when he's your age. Looking great!

KelleyThomsen 03-23-2012 08:57 PM

Day 5

5 Attachment(s)
Day 5 has basically consisted of painting. Today I finished off the hood stripe and grill with a black gloss paint. I also ended up getting the tail lights/back up lights hooked up! The rest of my day was spent polishing up old parts and preparing to start re-assembly tomorrow! Hope everyone likes the direction the '67 is going! Also, I'm starting to think that this Jeep isn't actually a CJ-5 (despite it being formerly registered as one). I'm pretty sure it's an M38a1 based on the split window. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Rusty Knutt 03-23-2012 09:02 PM

Are you doing all this by yourself? You want to give me some pointers? DAMN, I am beyond jealous.

KelleyThomsen 03-23-2012 09:12 PM

Rusty...

Not doing it by myself haha. I've got my friend (20 yrs old) and his dad helping. His dad did body work his whole life and really messed up his back doing it, so he doesn't really work on it. He just helps us out if we've got questions. It's essentially a 2 man crew working on this Jeep with 1 elder statesman guiding us lol. The gentleman in the background of one of the pics (red shirt) is my friend's dad. We've been working from 10am-3pm everyday, so the work's coming along quickly!

Rusty Knutt 03-23-2012 09:16 PM

Reegardless very impressive, I LOVE the paint scheme.

KelleyThomsen 03-23-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Knutt (Post 2174568)
Are you doing all this by yourself? You want to give me some pointers? DAMN, I am beyond jealous.

As far as pointers are concerned, I suppose if you want to get solid paint at a decent price, go to Tractor Supply and pick up their tractor paint. It's heavy duty paint with a glossy enamel finish. If you like that look, I suggest picking some up. Not a wide variety of colors though, so keep that in mind. They also have decent makeshift tail lights. You can hook up some trailer tail lights to your rig and they work great! Not pretty, but they get the job done! Keep an open mind as well. If something appears to be useless, keep it and try to figure out where it might work on your Wrangler. It'll give your ride a custom look and could also save you money! Also, be sure to take your time sanding and wet sand your Jeep. It's a tedious task, but it'll look 100x better in the end. Hope some of this is helpful!

Rusty Knutt 03-23-2012 09:35 PM

Check out my build threads...

Cj7otr 03-23-2012 10:08 PM

I highly fought an M38a1 would have a title for a 67 CJ5. Everything but the windshield looks like 60's CJ5. I think you have a salvaged windshield from a M38a1 on a CJ5. Having said that, it's a really cool and unique effect!

Cj7otr 03-23-2012 10:09 PM

...highly doubt...not highly fought?

TheDoc 03-24-2012 12:42 AM

I like the new green racing seat you have installed, I have used those on many a build. Keep us posted on your updates, you have a great starting place with the CJ..

Nick.

KelleyThomsen 03-24-2012 05:57 AM

Hahahaha I needed something to sit on since I took the original seats out! I wasn't willing to push the Jeep across the yard to go to my makeshift paint booth. Plus, no power steering so it'd be hard to push/maneuver at the same time. Basically, I just needed a temporary seat. The green crate isn't a permanent installment! It just happened to be the closest thing to me that'd support my weight lol.