Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   I am starting to understand why all of you hate on torx bolts.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/i-am-starting-to-understand-why-all-of-you-hate-on-torx-bolts-146312.html)

Dassquatch 03-14-2012 12:06 PM

I am starting to understand why all of you hate on torx bolts....

So.... I was attempting to remove the driver's side seatbelt to replace it..... And stripped the torx bolt. I had soaked it for a couple days in PB Blaster. But, alas, the rat b@stard stripped. I have a screw removal kit, but I'm not sure how tough it is. Any suggestions?

IndyJeepMan 03-14-2012 12:13 PM

Man, that bolt is a hardened 10.9 I think, you must have had the wrong size. Its the flush torx bolts that strip bad.

If im thinking about the bolt on the roll bar, you should be able to get a vise grip on the head

Dassquatch 03-14-2012 01:06 PM

Nah, the one on the bottom.

Shanman 03-14-2012 01:31 PM

There's not an easy way for that one. When you drill it, make sure you have a GOOD drill bit. I drilled one out the other day and broke several mediocre bits. If it backed out at all, you could weld an old socket to it and just ratchet it out. Good luck

Dassquatch 03-14-2012 02:06 PM

Ick. It didn't back out. I think I'll alternate between popping it with a hammer an soaking it in PB Blaster. And if there's anything left of the grip option in the bottom of the thing, I'll go after it with a hand-held impact hammer.

Dassquatch 03-14-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 2139369)
Man, that bolt is a hardened 10.9 I think, you must have had the wrong size. Its the flush torx bolts that strip bad.

If im thinking about the bolt on the roll bar, you should be able to get a vise grip on the head

And I was using a T50. It fit perfectly. I've just got a habit of stripping bolts when I lean on it. I figured a couple days of PB Blaster would've loosened it.

Master4th 03-14-2012 08:27 PM

Besides soaking I always give my Torx heads a good couple taps with a hammer, then I put some pressure, slow pressure, I have found with the Torx heads you never want to use spike pressure just slow steady, also I always make sure the torx bit is seated well and level as possible.

Dassquatch 03-14-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master4th (Post 2140904)
Besides soaking I always give my Torx heads a good couple taps with a hammer, then I put some pressure, slow pressure, I have found with the Torx heads you never want to use spike pressure just slow steady, also I always make sure the torx bit is seated well and level as possible.

Yeah.... I'm pretty sure my problem was seating. I do apply slow pressure. I think the ever-immovable seat was throwing me off. Now, for those still interested, I'm going to be using the stripped screw remover next.

Dutch 95 03-15-2012 12:07 AM

Dassquatch, I think I have an easy fix for ya bud. Look at the jeep from the bottom, you will see the bolts hanging out the bottom of the Jeep. Soak with WD-40. Put a pair of vice grips on it and turn it clockwise (looking upward at it). Once you've threaded it up enough, you'll be able to get it from the top.

baitfish13 03-15-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch 95 (Post 2141858)
Dassquatch, I think I have an easy fix for ya bud. Look at the jeep from the bottom, you will see the bolts hanging out the bottom of the Jeep. Soak with WD-40. Put a pair of vice grips on it and turn it clockwise (looking upward at it). Once you've threaded it up enough, you'll be able to get it from the top.

X2 :thumb:

Ibuildembig 03-15-2012 12:14 AM

They are far from hardened bolts, I broke one on my tub and it was a rustfree one from way down south. They are soft as butter if you have a decent drill bit and have to drill it. You can always use a torch to heat them up.