Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   water pump (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/water-pump-14639.html)

4.0l sahara 01-08-2008 07:14 PM

water pump
 
Well i'm putting a new rad in my jeep so i'm doing a water pump since she has 108k on her. What do you guys recamend the cheap outzone crap or a better water pump. I'm open to suggestions.:D

whitebuffalo 01-08-2008 07:26 PM

if its less than twice as much for new rather than reman, i buy new. ghettozone, advanced, oreilly, whatev.

Jerry Bransford 01-08-2008 07:33 PM

The cheap waterpumps that come from Autozone, Kragen, etc., even with their "lifetime" warranty are shoddily made, cheap, and not worth your effort to install. They'll hold up for a while but not nearly as long as a better quality pump will.

I bought an Autozone water pump a few years ago but made the mistake of not opening the box and looking at it before I got home. The quality just wasn't there, I returned it for a refund and got an OE quality pump from, I believe, NAPA.

My time is too valuable to be wasting it installing a cheap waterpump, something that is critical enough that if it goes bad offroad, you'd be stuck and regretting not having paid a little more for a better quality pump. Even when it comes with a "lifetime" warranty. :)

4.0l sahara 01-08-2008 07:37 PM

Then I think i'll get it to napa. Don't some have a plate on the impellor to make it more efficent?

Triple88a 01-09-2008 12:19 AM

Jerry such as a steering box thing? lol

crj101 01-09-2008 08:59 AM

I just had to replace mine about three weeks ago, bought a new one for $35at NAPA the reman one was $30 or 31.

Jerry Bransford 01-09-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 180150)
Jerry such as a steering box thing? lol

Huh? :confused:

1BLKJP 01-09-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 180150)
Jerry such as a steering box thing? lol

Steering boxes that we run on our TJ's are a completely different animal than a water pump.

4.0l sahara 01-09-2008 05:25 PM

I don't get it th steering box has nothing to do with a water pump and they work tottaly different.

4.0l sahara 01-09-2008 05:29 PM

Also I need a 195 tstat and how much antifreez does the 4.0 hold. At a 50/50 mixture

distortedtj 01-09-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.0l sahara (Post 180332)
Also I need a 195 tstat and how much antifreez does the 4.0 hold. At a 50/50 mixture

buy two gallons if you get the 50/50 mix ones.

takes about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 gallons. did a rad swap about 2 months ago and had to look it up too.:wavey:

Jerry Bransford 01-09-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 180327)
Steering boxes that we run on our TJ's are a completely different animal than a water pump.

Huh? I'm still :confused:

Jack you been drinkin' again? ;) :D

hedonist 01-09-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 180059)
The cheap waterpumps that come from Autozone, Kragen, etc., even with their "lifetime" warranty are shoddily made, cheap, and not worth your effort to install. They'll hold up for a while but not nearly as long as a better quality pump will.

I bought an Autozone water pump a few years ago but made the mistake of not opening the box and looking at it before I got home. The quality just wasn't there, I returned it for a refund and got an OE quality pump from, I believe, NAPA.

My time is too valuable to be wasting it installing a cheap waterpump, something that is critical enough that if it goes bad offroad, you'd be stuck and regretting not having paid a little more for a better quality pump. Even when it comes with a "lifetime" warranty. :)

You said it exactly. You buy cheap you get cheap.:punk:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.