Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   1st Jeep,1st non Ford product & it's @ the shop (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/1st-jeep-1st-non-ford-product-and-its-the-shop-146418.html)

superwd6 03-14-2012 07:34 PM

1st Jeep,1st non Ford product & it's @ the shop

Because it burns more oil with 80,000km than any of my Fords with 300,000km. When I first seen the problem I thought the dealer hadn't changed the oil but billed me for it. Now, 3 litres in 3000 km:banghead:. I see we are not the only one with this issue. Its a 2009 ,3.8 thats had dealer 5w20 every 5 to 6000km changes. Can we expect not to have this problem again if dealer does rings? :confused:. And Dodge oil filters suck big time. Dry starts are normal just like my 75 Ford 300 inline six (pos). Yes I ran 5w30 for one change and no difference, I'd get rid of it by my wife loves it!:banghead:

kbwwolf 03-14-2012 07:49 PM

3 quarts in 1800 miles seems a bit excessive.

At least you can take the top and doors off. :)

Welcome to WF.

dabolt55 03-14-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2140991)
3 quarts in 1800 miles seems a bit excessive.

At least you can take the top and doors off. :)

Welcome to WF.

3 quarts? wow, not adding up here??? good luck, post when you find out whats up.... and welcome to WF.

Iron Maiden 03-14-2012 08:03 PM

I'll happily trade you my experience with several Fords for your Jeep experience. Fords for me have been the most unreliable POS on the planet. If someone gave me one now I would not take it.

rics1997 03-14-2012 08:34 PM

I have always been a Ford person myself. Hate your having this problem but I think you are just one of the unlucky ones that ever brand has. I really liked all the Fords I ever owned especially my 69 Mustang which I did love but I can say for sure I love my Jeep. Not as much as in the other thread but still lol

Jurhip 03-14-2012 10:26 PM

Try owning an aircooled Porsche. 1qt/1k mi is considered normal.

silvrevo 03-14-2012 10:45 PM

Ya Jurhip,,,,

But thats still only 1/20 of your oil capacity!!!

Not bad,,,lolololol

Jurhip 03-14-2012 10:51 PM

True. I consider an a "continual oil renewal" design.

suicideking 03-14-2012 11:34 PM

Last Ford I had was a 1981 Mustang 4 cylinder. Sold it for $1600 with 65000 miles on it and was lucky to get that. That thing was a heap. I've never considered another Ford since. Although I do like the F series trucks.

Hopefully they'll figure out why your Jeep is burning through oil. If not, trade that sucker in and get a 2012!

glowingghoul 03-15-2012 12:21 AM

Give it a rest.

I'm really tired of the "Brand xxxxx is great and never has problems but Jeep is a piece of S**t".

I could spend all day posting links to nightmare stories about any brand, and to suggest that because your individual experience was good that's somehow representative of the overall reliability of the brand is nonsense and illogical.

If you hate Jeep, and are certain that all Jeeps are crap than sell it, go buy another Ford, and quit bitching here.

Lane24 03-15-2012 01:04 AM

I love my Ford and my Jeep. My Jeep does things my Ford can't, and my Ford does things my Jeep can't . Win Win !!!! But unfortunately, you probably should have just mentioned the 'unhappy with the oil loss of your Jeep', and left out the part about it not being as good as your Ford's. Might have got friendlier responses on this Jeep forum....

CecilHartlely 03-15-2012 01:52 AM

I'll happily trade you my experience with several Fords for your Jeep experience.
http://www.australialuxe.info/013-1.jpg

The Toolman 03-15-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowingghoul
Give it a rest.

I'm really tired of the "Brand xxxxx is great and never has problems but Jeep is a piece of S**t".

I could spend all day posting links to nightmare stories about any brand, and to suggest that because your individual experience was good that's somehow representative of the overall reliability of the brand is nonsense and illogical.

If you hate Jeep, and are certain that all Jeeps are crap than sell it, go buy another Ford, and quit bitching here.

No, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :rofl:

I hear ya though

baitfish13 03-15-2012 02:09 AM

At least your not Found Off Road Dead!!!!

The Toolman 03-15-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lane24
I love my Ford and my Jeep. My Jeep does things my Ford can't, and my Ford does things my Jeep can't . Win Win !!!! But unfortunately, you probably should have just mentioned the 'unhappy with the oil loss of your Jeep', and left out the part about it not being as good as your Ford's. Might have got friendlier responses on this Jeep forum....

Similar here, for exploring, offroading, running errands, etc... I have my Jeep. For hauling stuff & for work I have a 2010 Ford F-150 4x4 & a 2012 Ford F-250 diesel. All three have their place :thumb:

superwd6 03-16-2012 10:37 AM

:hide:.Sorry guys, but this does prove that Jeeps & Harleys have their own little cult;). I do like the Jeep for what it does and amazed at how sharp it turns.It rides great considering the wheelbase.But as the first brand new vehicle we ever bought is it going to start burning oil again in another 50,000 miles? .Dealer is putting new rings in it.I'm asking the people on here who have had this issue if the rings stopped it burnning oil for good or just past warranty?

B11 03-16-2012 11:43 AM

I've always been a Ford guy and have had very minor issues with the many different Fords I've owned. I also have a 09 Rubicon that is easily the biggest piece of sheet, when it comes to quality of craftsmenship, that I have ever owned. Wranglers easily must be the single biggest money maker of any vehicle on the planet. They charge a ridiculous price for these things and use the cheepest worst products I've ever seen used for building a vehicle that cost as much as Wranglers do. Except for the things Jeep doesn't make, like the Dana running gear, I think these things are a total piece of sheet!!!!!!

BUT!!! Having just bashed on Jeep Wranglers the way I did I still love my Wrangler. I've had 4 different Jeeps, 1971CJ5 & 3 Wranglers, and they are without a doubt the most FUN vehicle I have ever owned and if I sold mine today I would buy a new one tomorrow. I just wish Jeep wasn't such a POS company and would build Wranglers as well as Ford builds the F-Series trucks.

Celtic 03-16-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superwd6 (Post 2146507)
:hide:.Sorry guys, but this does prove that Jeeps & Harleys have their own little cult;). I do like the Jeep for what it does and amazed at how sharp it turns.It rides great considering the wheelbase.But as the first brand new vehicle we ever bought is it going to start burning oil again in another 50,000 miles? .Dealer is putting new rings in it.I'm asking the people on here who have had this issue if the rings stopped it burnning oil for good or just past warranty?

First, sorry about your problem.

First question is how was it determined that the oil rings are bad? That is pretty close to the extreme end of a diagnosis.

How were relatively less expensive items like a pcv valve and even valve stem seals ruled out?

Did the oil consumption come on gradually or happen relatively overnight?

Do you get a big puff of blue smoke out the exhaust when coasting down a hill and the flooring the gas pedal for a second or two?

Oil rings replacement is a pretty drastic solution. What did the dealer do to convince you that they are bad? There are dozens of other things it might be. Is the dealer guaranteeing that replacing the oil rings will cure the problem, or is he going to replace the valve stem seals, pcv valve and a bunch of other stuff while he is in there "just in case"?

B11 03-16-2012 01:01 PM

I recall reading something about a certain period of the 3.8 motors having one or more of the rings installed upside down or something like that. I think those 3.8's with issues were installed up into some of the early 2009 Wranglers.

A quick google search will give you more information than you will probably want.

I love my Wrangler but it sure is disappointing they built them like Yugo's

craigwieck 03-16-2012 05:52 PM

I was a tech at a ford dealer for 12 years. Even fords have problems. Do a search on the 6.0l

Blackened 03-16-2012 09:30 PM

Makes you wish they would come out with a new Bronco doesn't it? :D

craigwieck 03-16-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackened (Post 2148574)

That would be sweet but I don't think you can beat the jeep. I don't even own one yet I am already obsest with them. I will admitt I'm a ford guy but I can't wait to get mine.

MuddyBruce 03-16-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurhip (Post 2141659)
Try owning an aircooled Porsche. 1qt/1k mi is considered normal.

My wife's '11 Cayenne S burns 1qt/1k mile too.

suicideking 03-17-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackened (Post 2148574)

I guess the closest thing they have to the Bronco now is the Explorer.

I guess the closest stock vehicle they have now for wheeling is the Raptor. That thing is bad ass! One went wheeling with us last weekend, pretty impressive. Only problem was it was too wide for parts of the trail we went on, had to bypass some sections.

Blackened 03-17-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigwieck (Post 2148728)
That would be sweet but I don't think you can beat the jeep. I don't even own one yet I am already obsest with them. I will admitt I'm a ford guy but I can't wait to get mine.

I am a Ford guy too and love the JKs but the original 60s/70s bronco's did outperform CJs of the time imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicideking (Post 2149114)
I guess the closest thing they have to the Bronco now is the Explorer.

I guess the closest stock vehicle they have now for wheeling is the Raptor. That thing is bad ass! One went wheeling with us last weekend, pretty impressive. Only problem was it was too wide for parts of the trail we went on, had to bypass some sections.

Raptors are badass and I thought about getting one instead of my JK but I didn't want a pickup truck again and the roof doesn't come off. The ford Explorer is no where near what a bronco was or could be again. Would have been nice to see what ford would have done with a production model of..

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8/04bronco.jpg

suicideking 03-17-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackened (Post 2149182)

Raptors are badass and I thought about getting one instead of my JK but I didn't want a pickup truck again and the roof doesn't come off. The ford Explorer is no where near what a bronco was or could be again. Would have been nice to see what ford would have done with a production model of..

Yeah, too bad they didn't make that. Not like I'd be able to afford it lol.

Here's the Raptor in action.

A little grindage in this one. :rofl:

VID00030 - YouTube

superwd6 03-21-2012 09:34 PM

Update. First I'm sorry, I was upset :nonono:. Dealer is McKeown Motor Sales in Stirling ,Ontario. We didn't buy the Jeep from them but did look there first. They replaced piston rings & gaskets ,washed Jeep & shined tires-filled all fluids:dance: didn't pay a dime & had loaner car:cool:. Can't say enough about how good we were treated. Friend talked to the mechanic that did it - said they have done 9 of the 3.8 Litres but didn't break it down as to how many were mini vans:whistling:or Jeeps.So far, not one has come back still using oil. My wife wanted this Jeep so we got it, (Nobody else makes em like this)I had no desire to own one but gotta say they are great, and can see why they have a huge following. So If I don't wave please don't be offended,I only drive it when she lets me which is hardly ever. She will wave:thumb:

79Scout12Jeep 03-21-2012 10:24 PM

Glad you got it fixed. I have owned them all over the years and have had old and new plus restored many different types. One thing that everyone should remember these things are mass produced and when you make 100K+ items a year there is bound to be problems. :surrender:

lightninquick 03-21-2012 10:36 PM

i own a 2011 explorer, a 2003 lightning, 2011 ecoboost, 2011 super duty 6.7, 1969 mach1 and a 1971 f100. you can say i bleed blue, but NONE of them vehicles have given me the joy of my jeeps.

MuddyBruce 03-25-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitfish13 (Post 2142186)
At least your not Found Off Road Dead!!!!

Fix Or Repair Daily :rofl: