Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Benefits to an electric cooling fan? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/benefits-to-an-electric-cooling-fan-146526.html)

denisbaldwin 03-15-2012 10:24 AM

Benefits to an electric cooling fan?

I've seen some talk (both on here and in other places) about people switching to electric cooling fans on their Jeeps. The fan I have on the front of my block, in combination with the shrowd, seems to do a decent job. What benefit would having an electric fan give me? What model do you folks use and why?

Denis

Peepers 03-15-2012 10:35 AM

Less drag on the engine. Mechanical fan always on. Electric fan only on when needed.

Drag produced by alternator to power fan should be less than drag produced by mechanical fan...

denisbaldwin 03-15-2012 11:15 AM

So, in theory, might net an extra few hp and mpg by putting less load on the motor?

Is there a particular fan that people on here use? I was looking at the Flex-A-Lite 485 but am open to other suggestions.

Denis

Timberwolf 03-15-2012 11:20 PM

there is a noticeable difference on the 4cyl with less drag from the huge oem funnel shroud

it also cools better on slow steep climbs

look into the taurus fan conversion

denisbaldwin 03-16-2012 05:37 AM

The Taurus fan conversion does look like the way to go. I'm going to the junk yard tomorrow to see if I can pull one.

crafty 03-16-2012 09:52 AM

Make sure you install a kill switch. If you hit a water crossing you need to remember to turn it off first.

denisbaldwin 03-16-2012 09:54 AM

Crafty - Great idea! I'll add it to the list of internal switches like my winch controls and offroad lights.

rebelBullDawg325 03-18-2012 01:56 PM

i've tossed this idea around many a time. i dont like the idea of something can go wrong and the electric fan not be working and you dont know it until you're running hot. i know with my engine driven fan that its always turning

denisbaldwin 03-18-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelBullDawg325 (Post 2153071)
i've tossed this idea around many a time. i dont like the idea of something can go wrong and the electric fan not be working and you dont know it until you're running hot. i know with my engine driven fan that its always turning

I think this could be solved with a fault warning light in-cab. I was planning on wiring a switch in-cab anyway so I can turn it off when crossing water (or when it's not needed). Wouldn't be too difficult to put a warning light inside as well to where if voltage drops (i.e. fan motor not consuming it), it would light up. Someone could probably do something more elegant, but that would be a decent first step.

rebelBullDawg325 03-26-2012 05:36 PM

i guess i get in too much water to trust electrical stuff. in general. in my mind, that warning system could fail and your in the same boat. the fewer wires i have the better. esp when it comes to things that are needed to run properly.

Timberwolf 03-26-2012 06:21 PM

the 4cyl fan is a fail from the factory, it's too small and too far away from the radiator

if the switch, relay or sensor fails on the electric, you can always just hot-wire it the battery temporarily

DevilDogDoc 03-26-2012 08:24 PM

The biggest benefit is you get to spend lots of time under your hood trying to figure out why your rig is overheating. The other is the money that would have been wasted on upgrades will be spent on relays and switches and lights to try to get it to work!! :rofl: