Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Question about wheel spacers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/question-about-wheel-spacers-14660.html)

genemarsh 01-09-2008 09:53 PM

Question about wheel spacers

I own a 1997 Wrangler, stone white in color with a "spice color" soft top and gold wheels I think from a Golden Eagle that are 8x15 inches.I just installed a 2 inch skyjacker coil spring lift, which seems to have given me at leat 3 inches of lift!....along with new skyjacker shocks, adjustable track bar, etc. I installed 32x11.50 tires. I seem to have plenty of clearance except for a full turn of the steering which I get some rubbing. Should I just adjust the steering stops with washers, or go with wheel spacers. I see so many people that don't suggest spacers. If I were to go with spacers, are there a special type that's recommended? I don't want to space no more than necessary. I don't really care for the extra wide tracking..I think one inch would be plenty. Thanks in advance for any advice.:

4bangertj 01-09-2008 09:56 PM

i have the same set up, 2inch bb with 32's, i also rub, im not sure what type of spacer or width to go with. i was told id be better off goin with new wheels, but im still thinkin bout the spacers just to get me by until these tires wear out in the summer. ive seen them on ebay for under $150 for all four, but not sure on the durability

genemarsh 01-09-2008 10:01 PM

I do like my gold wheels which match the top very well. Has anyone ever had any problems with spacers coming loose, or what's the drawback? Guess the cheapest thing to do is adjust the steering stops as long as it doesn't shorten my turning radius too much?

4bangertj 01-09-2008 10:08 PM

the only draw back that i know of is that you haveta always tighten the spacers. atleast thats what a guy at work says. thats my biggest complaint is the turning radius im always rubbin. im just goin to go to jcwhitney and buy some black steelies. i think there like 45 a piece and then when my tires wear down i'll get the wheels i want

mrbigjeep 01-10-2008 12:16 AM

i don't think the spacers coming loose would be a problem. if it is, then just tighten them when you rotate your tires.

how much are you rubbing? if its just a little then the steer stop mod may work for you.

btw, it probably seems like you got 3" of lift because you put new coils on a 97 and regained your sag.

Triple88a 01-10-2008 12:54 AM

If i was you i'd rather put the 150-200 bucks into new rims than spacers that you wont need again in few months..

tobycat1 01-10-2008 02:00 AM

Spacers will put some extra strain on your axle. I'd put out the cash for new wheels, or see if you can just adjust a bolt or something for the steering stops

NalinMFG 01-10-2008 12:11 PM

The not tightening thing above^... i have the 1.5"s from the jeeforum dealer, and while at LBL last month I broke 3 wheel studs and knocked another lose. you'll know when youre on one stud...believe me. it wasnt the spacers that broke, it was my "actual" studs. I think it had to do with improper tightening because (yea yea...:rolleyes:) to this day they have been fine. make sure you torque them correctly and use locktite.

Triple88a 01-10-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigertrack1600m (Post 180603)
I think it had to do with improper tightening because (yea yea...:rolleyes:) to this day they have been fine. make sure you torque them correctly and use locktite.

hhmm i wonder when i'll learn too, i torque them with so much power.

as the locktite goes.. what about when you want to remove them? From memory you have to use a torch to get them warm to burn the locktite.:confused:

autogyver 01-10-2008 06:46 PM

used red,blue,yellow,and green loktite for years. they say you have to heat to remove, i have never had to heat and always came loose...just my experience with product.....

genemarsh 01-12-2008 01:26 PM

Decision about wheel spacers

Quote:

Originally Posted by autogyver (Post 180717)
used red,blue,yellow,and green loktite for years. they say you have to heat to remove, i have never had to heat and always came loose...just my experience with product.....

I decided to adjust the steering stops. To my suprise, I only had to add one normal size washer. This solved all my "rubbing" problem. I'm good to go now. Actually, I went mud bogging for the first time this morning and my 32x11.50 tires did great in the mud! Thanks for all the advice though. LET'S GO WHEELING!