Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Build Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/)
-   -   Complete build up 2003 sahara (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/complete-build-up-2003-sahara-146620.html)

SULFEK 03-15-2012 06:24 PM

Complete build up 2003 sahara

So I bought a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara for 10,000.00 after my 2003 TJ was destroyed in an accident. I will be using some of the parts from that jeep in this build thread so I will kick it off with some of the parts I made for that jeep in my Spare time. I am about to end a deployment to Afghanistan in 32 days so I dumped a few thousand from my deployment savings into this new Sahara for parts. Let the build Begin!!!:punk:

SULFEK 03-15-2012 06:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Let's start with my old jeep. I got it as a salvage and it was in bad shape. I did not take pics at the time because I never thought of building a post about it. It was called the Punisher and was a good learning jeep for me. I ripped it apart and put it back together until it was perfect in every way. Here is some pics of the punisher when I had first started. I had put on my smitty bilt bumper, winch plate, winch and some rims and tires I had laying around and I found an dude who wanted to trade a hard top for a soft top!!!!!!!.:punk:

SULFEK 03-15-2012 06:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The first thing on my list was a bumper build. I got some 2x6x.25" steel tubing, and some 2x2x.25 steel tubing. The trusty welder and some grinders and off I went!!! I do not have pics of the spindel fabrication though. I am sorry!:banghead:

SULFEK 03-15-2012 06:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More bumper build!

SULFEK 03-15-2012 06:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I used some DIY Hurciliner for the finish

SULFEK 03-15-2012 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally done with the first part of this

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The next thing to be completed was some rock sliders. They were a failry simple and quick fab job. I used 3" channel and 3" flat plate. Welded them together then attached some DOM tubing with a slight bend.

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I used some of the left over herculiner from the bumper to finish them off

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more pics

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The next thing on the block was the electrical System. It was a nightmare and something had to be done before I instaleed my remote start system!I did a quick fab job and made a side by side battery box for two optimas!:banghead:

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had to clean the whole thing up some with some 2 gauge wires. I did everything right as well. Soldered all of my connections. Used heat shrink and crimpers. There is never time to do it right but always time to do it twice......

Along the way I found about about something called Blue Seas automatic charge relay. It is basically a smart isolator. I realizes when one Battery is drawing more than the other, then isolates both of them, charges one until they are equal then reconnects them. A bad ass system that is used for boats. I figured why not my bad ass jeep. Sorry I have no pic of it installed but here is a pic of what it looks like. If you are running two batteries then this is they way to go!!!

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Now I had this nice bumper I built but some ugly ass lights.....well I decided to just fix all of that. I ordered a HID lighting system from Pro Street Lighting (best coustomer service) and bought some LED marker lights for the rear. Then bent my plate arounf the jeep and tacked it to the body.

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a spare M67 Frag gernade from an unknown source that was hollowed out. I welded a nut in it then made a shifter knob.

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So after all of this work (most of it not shown in this post) I had to Deploy to Afghanistan with my Brigade. I am station in Alaska and in the winter the weather can drop well below -60. If a car sits in this it will be destroyed. SO I asked a friend to drive the jeep for me every now and then to keep it up. But when an ass holr cab driver pulled out in front of him. My baby was destroyed.....

SULFEK 03-15-2012 07:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After tons of debates with the insurance company and speaking with like 10 diffrent specailsts they decided to give me 9,000.00 and my wrcked jeep back.... Not a bad outcome when you count the jeep as a salvage!!! and I get 90% of my parts back!!!! So I took the 9,000.00 and bouth the 2003 Sahara that this thread will be dedicated to. I am still in Afghanistan and will return in about 38 days. So i had to start buying parts!!!! Here is the shopping list and some pics of the new jeep!

SULFEK 03-15-2012 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the list of upgrades that I have sitting in my grage awaiting me to come home to put on this jeep. I will post pics as I install all of the upgrades. You can watch my jeep grow!!!:punk:

rough country 6" long arm lift kit
slip yoke elimator
jks quick discos
spicer u joints
flowmaster MAG 44 muffler
brown dog motor mount lift
ARB safari snorkel kit
the source S-POD
VIAIR Heavy duty on board air system
Blue Seas Auto Charge Realy
Dual Optima Battery System
dual trickel chargers
100' of 2 guage wire
200' of 15 guage wire
Mickey Thompson SIde Biter Rims
Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires
Warn M800 with 120' of am steel blue
smittybilt stinger
smittbilt winch plate
my custom rear bumper/tire carrier
smittybilt gear seat covers
smitty XRC rocker guards
Pro Street Lighting HID kit
LED Trail Lights
Panasonic In dash Display
Bazooka Tube Sub Woffer
Bose Speaker System
CB Radio
GPS display
Daves Rack Roof Rack
custom Roll cage tubing
2mi 2way clifford remote start system
3m matte black Vynal Car Wrap
Finger touch gun box for the 1911
recovery box for all of the gear

more than likely a bed as well cause my wife is going to divorce me over this build!!!! We have all been there or are there now..... Where did all my money go? Oh yeah I bought a jeep!!!!

SULFEK 03-15-2012 08:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Figured I would post a pic of my wifes jeep as well. Here is her 2010 jeep wrangler JK mountain Edition.

turnstyle 03-15-2012 10:18 PM

Sweet Jeeps! Looking forward to seeing your new rig come together when you get back home.

Rpkittle 03-15-2012 10:39 PM

I am really looking forward to this build! And my respect goes to you. Thanks for serving our country.

P.S.- Take plenty of pics

SULFEK 03-23-2012 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I spent some time on Adobe master CS5 and made some decals in Adobe Ils. Then sent them to photoshop for paint. Then attached them to a pic I had of my new jeep in photo shop. The out come was pretty nice. I can see how my decals will look before I ever have them made at a friends sign shop. I think this is what im going with for decals.

SULFEK 03-23-2012 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
just incase people doubt that it is infact photoshop.....

SULFEK 03-23-2012 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a misfit one for a friend as well. If anyone wants the decals let me know. Ill send you a Ai format of them that a sticker shop can imput into the machine and make with no issues. :bottom:

cuder 03-25-2012 05:51 PM

Man, That's alot of work to do. You're gonna have to pace yourself.

LOL, I like the picture of your Son on the pot. That's a good looking family you have. My wife wants a JKU, my whole family can't all fit in the TJ anymore.

What size tires did you get?
Get home safe and thanks again for your service!!!!!

SULFEK 03-25-2012 06:20 PM

Both sets of tires for my TJ are 33X12.50r15 until I do my axel swap in a few months. then Ill jump up to 35's or 37's. 33's will look dumb on the 6" lift but I kinds messed that part of the buildup. I should have known better than to start with the lift. The whole outward image thing got to me. Axels are the next upgrade though. Should have the full swap done by the year end. Then I am going to build my own long arm kit using Currie joints.... The wife's car is on 33's too.

tjrhd 03-25-2012 08:02 PM

Subbed: nice fabwork man.

Blueliner 03-25-2012 08:49 PM

Thanks for your service.

Darkpaladin 03-26-2012 01:36 AM

Hey man, I'm in FBX. We've probably met and or probably know some common friends. Drop me a note!

OlgaerOwen 03-26-2012 02:12 AM

The next thing to be completed was some rock sliders.
http://www.australialuxe.info/013-1.jpg

SULFEK 03-26-2012 07:51 AM

Thanks, sorry for ripping your head off. Bad days here can be really bad days so you vent on everything possible. I need to get home back to normal people so I can try to readjust to humanity. I don't have pics of some of the other work I did its all back home. When I get there though I'm a going to build my own armor, stinger, slide out box for the rear out of alum, and once I get the axles under the new one ill be locking it all up and building my own custom long arm kit. I really took a liking to the Idaho jeep build on Jeep forum and I will be attempting to follow some what in his foot steps.

SULFEK 03-26-2012 01:55 PM

yeah for shure, when i get back i will.