Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Window Roll for 2012 JKU (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/window-roll-for-2012-jku-146626.html)

lilnik10 03-15-2012 06:41 PM

Window Roll for 2012 JKU
 
I just bought a window roll for my 2012 JKU. The side windows have rigid retaining channels on two sides. Makes me think I can not roll the windows up. Am I missing something? Or am going to just have to leave my windows flat?

kjeeper10 03-15-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilnik10
I just bought a window roll for my 2012 JKU. The side windows have rigid retaining channels on two sides. Makes me think I can not roll the windows up. Am I missing something? Or am going to just have to leave my windows flat?


You have to roll "with" the channels and not against them.
The windows have to be positioned a certain way :)

daggo66 03-15-2012 06:51 PM

I have the Bestop Window duffle. The windows lay flat and then roll east to west.

Wolffdood 03-15-2012 07:03 PM

Can you take a picture of the way they're laying down before you roll them?

lilnik10 03-15-2012 07:16 PM

I'm planning on getting the windows out this weekend as long as the weather cooperates. Of course the rain starts as soon as the weather heats up.

Wolffdood 03-15-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilnik10
I just bought a window roll for my 2012 JKU. The side windows have rigid retaining channels on two sides. Makes me think I can not roll the windows up. Am I missing something? Or am going to just have to leave my windows flat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

You have to roll "with" the channels and not against them.
The windows have to be positioned a certain way :)

I was wondering the same thing... Esp because it feels awkward rolling the windows...

jp2611 03-15-2012 08:48 PM

I haven't found a bag or duffle yet that will hold all 3, will probably have one made like I did for the TJ. It was only $50 bucks for material and sewing, and it would hold my soft uppers as well as the 3 back ones.

Wolffdood 03-15-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611
I haven't found a bag or duffle yet that will hold all 3, will probably have one made like I did for the TJ. It was only $50 bucks for material and sewing, and it would hold my soft uppers as well as the 3 back ones.

Sweet! Did it take up a lot of cargo space?

jp2611 03-15-2012 08:54 PM

Actually at the time I had it made, i figured out how to put all the windows in it, wedge it back against the factory soft top, and than latch the fold and tumble back seat in a sitting position.

I used it for many years with no ill effects and still use it for my zip out window on my half top and upper sliders.
I may end up passing this one on to BLU the (JK) and get a new one made for LIL RED for just the uppers.

OutlawJK 03-15-2012 09:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My wife made me one
Rolls all three up with layers between
Attaches to soft top when folded down

Wolffdood 03-15-2012 10:55 PM

Sweet! I'm looking for something like this...

newIIjeeps 03-16-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66
I have the Bestop Window duffle. The windows lay flat and then roll east to west.

I just bought one too. It should be here next week. The one question I have is does the rear window channel fit in it as well? If not what do you normally do with it?

daggo66 03-16-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolffdood (Post 2144472)
Can you take a picture of the way they're laying down before you roll them?

Picture the way they are on your Jeep. Top and bottom is North and South. Sides are East and West. They roll up East and West.

Cruise missile 03-16-2012 07:11 AM

Put the window bar back in its clips on the Jeep. The tailgate holds it it place.

OutlawJK 03-16-2012 07:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by newIIjeeps

I just bought one too. It should be here next week. The one question I have is does the rear window channel fit in it as well? If not what do you normally do with it?

I plan on leaving the lower rear window channel snapped into place and carry the roll with me as long as the soft top is on

That way I can put it up if I need it

BTW I used the original cardboard roll
That came with the windows to roll the
Storage sleeve up on

daggo66 03-16-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newIIjeeps (Post 2145978)
I just bought one too. It should be here next week. The one question I have is does the rear window channel fit in it as well? If not what do you normally do with it?

If I bring the windows with me, (ususally don't anymore) I put the bar in my boot. Before I had the boot, I simply re-attached the bar in the clips.

lilnik10 03-16-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

Picture the way they are on your Jeep. Top and bottom is North and South. Sides are East and West. They roll up East and West.

So the channel along the bottom can be rolled? I just don't want bend it and affect how it fits in the channel in the body.

Sueby 03-16-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newIIjeeps

I just bought one too. It should be here next week. The one question I have is does the rear window channel fit in it as well? If not what do you normally do with it?

I just strap it on the outside of the duffle after its all rolled up. I think I actually got that from the directions.

newIIjeeps 03-16-2012 07:27 AM

Wow. A ton of great ideas. I will more then likely try all until I get one that works for me. I thought about snapping the bar back into place but didn't know I'd thAt interfered with the soft top. I was unsure about rolling it In the duffle. Sounds great I can't wait to get the windows and door off and top down!!

daggo66 03-16-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilnik10 (Post 2146010)
So the channel along the bottom can be rolled? I just don't want bend it and affect how it fits in the channel in the body.

Yes. I've done it hundreds of times with no ill effect.

Matador 03-16-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawJK (Post 2144952)
My wife made me one
Rolls all three up with layers between
Attaches to soft top when folded down

This looks awesome, I might have to borrow my mother's sewing machine and get cranking. You wouldn't happen to have a template with measurements would you?

Wolffdood 03-16-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66

Picture the way they are on your Jeep. Top and bottom is North and South. Sides are East and West. They roll up East and West.

That makes sense! Thank you!

OutlawJK 03-16-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 2146118)
This looks awesome, I might have to borrow my mother's sewing machine and get cranking. You wouldn't happen to have a template with measurements would you?

I'll measure but I think the fabric was 60" wide so we just folded it over
and sewed on side So 30"
we used the rear window for length plus added another 12"

I'll measure for sure

GeckoJK 03-16-2012 03:11 PM

I bought the Bestop window roll. It was about $75. Picking it up this weekend when I head down to Ohio to visit family.

lilnik10 03-16-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2146055)
Yes. I've done it hundreds of times with no ill effect.

Thanks! I'm hoping to get a chance to try it out this weekend and figure out what others questions I'm gonna need help with.

I'm planning on putting the tailgate bar back in the clips because I will be needing it for my Safari Straps I just ordered.

damtall55 04-04-2012 09:25 PM

If you want to buy one, I just got something from 4WD.com. It's called a Clover Patch Window Roll for 2-door and 4-door JK models. Waiting for good weather to test it.

fjrrider 04-05-2012 08:24 AM

Quadratec also has the Clover Patch window roll. Seems to go back and forth who has the best deal.
Note...Not really sure what the difference is, but, there is one part number for the 2 door and a different part number for the 4 door.

ksdindy 04-05-2012 08:45 AM

Just bought the Clover Patch for my 2012 JKU myself. I found mine brand new on EBay for about $70.00

enwhypetey 04-05-2012 08:54 AM

I have a window roll that fits all three windows with felt and stuffed into a duffle that straps to the rear of the roll bar. The felt is three separate pieces sewn at the bottom to make sleeves. The channels at the bottoms of the side windows are very flexible and roll with the window. Place the the door hinge side of the window( the part that clips to the plastic door frame) at the bottom of felt, this way its wedged without having to bend...think of a wallet crease. I've been doing it for the last 5 years and the windows have never been damaged. Once you place everything out, you'll see exactly how it will work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.