Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   Rockwells and 4 Wheel Steering Build (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/rockwells-and-4-wheel-steering-build-146636.html)

nick50471 03-15-2012 08:28 PM

Rockwells and 4 Wheel Steering Build

For the record I blame JCF for this:D. Had she not shown me Area BFE and the rigs that run there I would not have decided to do this.:angel:

I have been looking for axles and talking about building a four wheel steer rig for a while. I have almost bought a few but the deals never worked out. After many texts and a few phone calls to another member that Builds them Big:D I was introduced to Red River Parts in Texas.
Red River Parts & Equipment, Inc.
I bought two 2.5 Rockwells both front steering axles for $1938 shipped to me. The truck arrives tomorrow and then the fun starts. Stacy's Civic gets moved out of the garage and the Rocks get a new home. I need some more jack stands and will weld up some with wheels to move them around better. Rocks are not light.

I will start with stripping them down and replacing the drum brakes with pinion brakes, replace all bearings and seals, install lockers F/R.
I have spent a great deal of time on Pirate researching other Rockwell builds. WF is great but not many of us are running Rocks. So if you are thinking of doing this here is some light reading.
Link's to rockwell question's and info... - Pirate4x4.Com

Part, parts and more parts. Many people have them these are a few.

Red Barn Customs, 2.5 Ton Rockwell Axles, Mud Boggers, CNC Plasma Cut, Yale Mich
- ROCKWELL PARTS
Patooyee's Parts
ROCKWELL PRODUCTS

I will be making my own link tabs and towers. But the Top hat from Mudpro looks very easy. Might buy that one.

As for the rest of the build I am thinking YJ frame and tub, CJ front, Atlas II and an undetermined motor and tranny. Coil overs and 4 link F/R and 49" IROKS

Another helpful Pirate thread.

New Version of my 4-link Analyzer & Request for Help - Pirate4x4.Com

Some things I will NOT be doing. I will not be discussing my 4 link calculations at ALL. I do not want to even get started with that discussion. :banghead::nonono:
I will not be done any time soon. This project will be a time lapse.:popcorn:

I will be posting plenty of pictures. Hopfull the first will be tomorrow.:punk:

4x4builder1 03-15-2012 09:13 PM

Get some good chemical stripper for when the housings are ready slap it on and let it sit, save the wire wheels for the crap that won't come off. That olive drab is a @%$!%. I built a ranger on rockwells a few years ago here's a few more sites. Much respect on this one I know what's involved keep us updated!
Ouverson engineering (if your running over 500 hp)
Ballistic fabrication (for your brackets)
Boyce equipment
Eastern surplus

nick50471 03-15-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4builder1 (Post 2144699)
Get some good chemical stripper for when the housings are ready slap it on and let it sit, save the wire wheels for the crap that won't come off. That olive drab is a @%$!%. I built a ranger on rockwells a few years ago here's a few more sites. Much respect on this one I know what's involved keep us updated!
Ouverson engineering (if your running over 500 hp)
Ballistic fabrication (for your brackets)
Boyce equipment
Eastern surplus

Links not working.

I won't be over 500hp. This is going to be a four seater family rig not a KOH rig.

I will most likely fab the brackets myself except I really like the Mudpro Works Top Hat. I am an engineer and use Solidworks every day. I will model my frame and axles and all brackets. I am really looking forward to using the 4 link calculator with the 3D software to see the flex before I weld.:punk:

nastyrider17 03-15-2012 10:15 PM

Sounds like a cool project. Subscribed.

How about a cummins for the engine? Not really sure how you drive or the type of wheeling you do but I feel like that would be a good engine for a family-oriented rig.

nick50471 03-15-2012 10:18 PM

M35 For Sale. Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive, Parts, Truck Parts, M35 parts, M35A2 parts, Deuce and a half parts, Reo parts, 5 ton parts, M900 parts, military vehicles for sale,
www.jeeper4life.com
Boyce Equipment Axles and Military Parts

Thanks 4x4builder1

IndyJeepMan 03-15-2012 10:43 PM

Deep pockets lol. Keep it updated, itll be a sweet rig.

cavediverjc 03-15-2012 11:43 PM

I am REALLY looking forward to watching this build! :thumb:

nick50471 03-16-2012 03:45 PM

Rocks didn't show up today. :(

I wait till Monday.

Ibuildembig 03-16-2012 03:54 PM

When I do my next rig it will be wishbones front and rear with airshocks :D I like the wishbone better than the 4bar stuff as its easier to get right the first time, tougher, and way way less joints to buy.

4x4builder1 03-16-2012 04:16 PM

A friend has a pile of brand new 1.25 heims and Rockwell brackets and both hats from ballistic probably unload em cheap he sold the rest of the project off already.

nick50471 03-16-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4builder1
A friend has a pile of brand new 1.25 heims and Rockwell brackets and both hats from ballistic probably unload em cheap he sold the rest of the project off already.

PM sent.:thumb:

nick50471 03-19-2012 11:11 PM

Ughh...No Rocks today.

drew11 03-20-2012 08:37 AM

This will be very interesting and way cool. Subscribed!!!!

nick50471 03-20-2012 08:41 PM

Hello...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...-43-40_339.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4-43-53_21.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...-44-00_260.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...-44-29_641.jpg

And in case you are wondering what two fronts weigh

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...-50-03_961.jpg

Ageless Stranger 03-20-2012 09:00 PM

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/image...o4x4/drool.gif

You've gone off the deep end... Welcome to the lunatic fringe. http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/image...co4x4/beer.gif

cavediverjc 03-20-2012 09:25 PM

You paid less than a dollar/pound for Rockwells. Well played! :thumb:

nick50471 03-20-2012 09:27 PM

This will be fun.

I am going to 3D model everything in SolidWorks. I will even plug the 4 link calculations into SolidWorks to calculate Roll Center, Roll Axis, COG etc.

The ME's at work are chomping at the bit to start. I will make pdf drawings available to anyone interested.

schnutzy 03-21-2012 08:49 AM

:popcorn:

Barrie 03-21-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 2162249)

:rofl: :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 2162381)
You paid less than a dollar/pound for Rockwells. Well played! :thumb:

X2!

Ibuildembig 03-21-2012 10:08 AM

Lookin good....not nearly as crusty as alot of them I have seen

nick50471 03-21-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2164128)
Lookin good....not nearly as crusty as alot of them I have seen

I was happy to see that they were not covered in grease and grime.

I am thinking of blasting them before I take them home. I was planning on replacing all the boots, seal and bearings. One of the guys at work thinks this is a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Also thinking of using the drums as the base for jackstands.

Ibuildembig 03-21-2012 02:13 PM

Wonder why he doesnt think you should? I dont think that stuff is expensive and I would definately consider it if they were mine. Yeah the drums would be good stand bases, my super tall ones use 16.5 wheels as bases.

4x4builder1 03-21-2012 04:31 PM

U joint shafts?

Cons_Table 03-21-2012 04:44 PM

Please tell me you are running 60" tires :D.

This will be an interesting build. Looking forward to it Nick :thumb:

nick50471 03-21-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2165061)
Wonder why he doesnt think you should? I dont think that stuff is expensive and I would definately consider it if they were mine. Yeah the drums would be good stand bases, my super tall ones use 16.5 wheels as bases.

He thinks the grit will be to difficult to get out and get behind seals etc. I am replacing all the bearings, seals and boots. I am more concerned about rust. If I blast them now I will have to lay a coat of primer on to keep them from rusting while I work on them. Then I will have to sand off the primer when I weld.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4builder1 (Post 2165476)
U joint shafts?

Those are behind the boots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 2165505)
Please tell me you are running 60" tires :D.

This will be an interesting build. Looking forward to it Nick :thumb:

I was planning on 49" IROKS but I found a place that sells the Michelin XML 395/85R20 for $695 for a set of four.
395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires

The big downside to these tires is that they tip the scales at 220lbs each.:eek:

IndyJeepMan 03-21-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471

He thinks the grit will be to difficult to get out and get behind seals etc. I am replacing all the bearings, seals and boots. I am more concerned about rust. If I blast them now I will have to lay a coat of primer on to keep them from rusting while I work on them. Then I will have to sand off the primer when I weld.

Those are behind the boots.

I was planning on 49" IROKS but I found a place that sells the Michelin XML 395/85R20 for $695 for a set of four.
395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires

The big downside to these tires is that they tip the scales at 220lbs each.:eek:

Ive heard poor, poor things with those michelins, youll need to groove the hell out of them, they are like 8 ply sidewall so they dont flex well and ride like a train wheel.

And just axles and tires your rig will weigh more than TJ lol.

Oh and btw, I hope to the offroad gods you are posting this on pirate or even JF. Much better help, and tech than here at WF.

You make me want to sell the axles im building, and buy two 14 bolts and shave em and cut em down :thumb:

nick50471 03-21-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 2166472)
Ive heard poor, poor things with those michelins, youll need to groove the hell out of them, they are like 8 ply sidewall so they dont flex well and ride like a train wheel.

And just axles and tires your rig will weigh more than TJ lol.

Oh and btw, I hope to the offroad gods you are posting this on pirate or even JF. Much better help, and tech than here at WF.

You make me want to sell the axles im building, and buy two 14 bolts and shave em and cut em down :thumb:

I have read all the bad things about the Michelin's too. The price and the fact that this rig will not be driven on road has me considering them. The weight is ridiculous though.

I am only posting here because this is really nothing new for Pirate. Pirate is where I get nearly all my schooling.:thumb:

IndyJeepMan 03-21-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471

I have read all the bad things about the Michelin's too. The price and the fact that this rig will not be driven on road has me considering them. The weight is ridiculous though.

I am only posting here because this is really nothing new for Pirate. Pirate is where I get nearly all my schooling.:thumb:

But its still appropriate there for some good questions you may need!

Id reckon 30% of people here don't know what rock's are lol.

But they wont be bad for offroad, heavy, and i dont think they grip too well. But then again, all hearsay.

Cons_Table 03-21-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan
But they wont be bad for offroad, heavy, and i dont think they grip too well. But then again, all hearsay.

Just run them at 0 psi :dance:

nick50471 03-21-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 2166600)
But its still appropriate there for some good questions you may need!

Id reckon 30% of people here don't know what rock's are lol.

Don't worry I get all my questions answered on Pirate. I just don't think they need another ho hum Rockwell build. Just like WF doesn't need another Wave thread.