Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   More flex but still good for a DD? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/more-flex-but-still-good-for-a-dd-146667.html)

natax 03-15-2012 11:03 PM

More flex but still good for a DD?

I know you can do some mods to allow more flexing, but how would that affect a DD? Given I do use it for more than that, but I could use some more flex. :dance:

Mitchness 03-15-2012 11:09 PM

Remove front track bar.
Remove rear track bar.
Remove sway bar.
Enjoy more flex.
Drive it like a Jeep, not a Corvette.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

natax 03-15-2012 11:11 PM

Haha, I don't drive it like a corvette as is, and I presume you are referring to the whole turn nice and slow in second gear? Is it worth doing? Also is it just me or even driving normal in a YJ people pass you like you aren't moving fast?

Timberwolf 03-15-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchness (Post 2145443)
Remove front track bar.
Remove rear track bar.
Remove sway bar.

try removing one at a time to see how it handles after each one

natax 03-15-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberwolf (Post 2145457)
try removing one at a time to see how it handles after each one

Yeah, I think that might be my best bet.

whiteyj 03-15-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Remove front track bar.
Remove rear track bar.
Remove sway bar.
Enjoy more flex.

Rear track bar yes!
Front, just put in a set of disco's. Then you have the best of both worlds.......Good on road manners and plenty of flex once you disconnect with the disco's.:D

natax 03-15-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 2145482)
Rear track bar yes!
Front, just put in a set of disco's. Then you have the best of both worlds.......Good on road manners and plenty of flex once you disconnect with the disco's.:D

How much are a good set of disco's gonna cost me? I am already working on a soft top/2piece door conversion as well as some other mods.

natax 03-16-2012 12:26 AM

Nevermind, I found them. Only 50 bucks, that isn't too bad.

Xpress 03-16-2012 12:56 AM

Just strip both track bars. Useless crap. Discos on the sway for sure.

natax 03-16-2012 01:13 AM

Xpress, I have learned from just reading posts not to doubt you. I appreciate the advice! I am gonna look into getting the discos, are the RC ones good?

Xpress 03-16-2012 01:34 AM

Go for whichever kit is the best for your wallet. Most are of equal quality.

natax 03-16-2012 08:28 AM

Well I am not worried about money, I would rather pay an extra 50-100 for better quality that will last me.

LostFedExMan 03-16-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Remove front track bar.
Remove rear track bar.
Remove sway bar.
Enjoy more flex.

This is the best thing I ever did to my Jeep before lifting it... Though I STILL, to this day, can't get the bolt off the frame mount on my front track bar... Pisses me off. And I don't really feel like cutting it... So I run no rear track, and no sway. Yes front track (I don't want the front track tho, HA!)

Good Luck

CharTay 03-16-2012 10:31 AM

I took my sway bar off and both track bars definitely got flex

Ibuildembig 03-16-2012 10:38 AM

Id leave the front trackbar on, it will make a difference in driveability and doesnt inhibit suspension travel enough to worry about it.

natax 03-16-2012 12:53 PM

Yeah I think I am going to take off the track bars and get some discos.

jr78racer 03-16-2012 11:25 PM

remove front track bar
remove rear track bar
install sway bar disconnects
check that the shocks actually allow the suspension to droop as far as it can. el cheapo shocks and most stock shocks aren't long enough to droop out all the way

natax 03-17-2012 01:06 AM

Heh, well I don't have cheap shocks or stock shocks.

Mitchness 03-17-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibuildembig (Post 2146512)
Id leave the front trackbar on, it will make a difference in driveability and doesnt inhibit suspension travel enough to worry about it.

I question this. :/ I know you know what you're talking about when it comes to building Jeeps, but I would like to know the reasoning behind why the front track bar is less inhibitive than the rear track bar.

STUUPID 03-17-2012 07:41 AM

I have had both track bars and sway bar disconnected for at least 12 years it does add more flex. The trac bars are meant to limit side to side travel of the axle. I removed mine when I first installed my lift, replaced spring bushings with poly ones. Over time the bushings have split due to the side to side travel and flexing and years of brutal off road abuse. My front driveshaft has touched my exhaust pipe a time or two...lol and I can tell when I drive it that the bushings are bad and the axle and springs are wallowing roun under there! Those parts can be replaced!

Ibuildembig 03-17-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchness (Post 2149254)
I question this. :/ I know you know what you're talking about when it comes to building Jeeps, but I would like to know the reasoning behind why the front track bar is less inhibitive than the rear track bar.

Its really not, the biggest difference is that when you soa one, you can't run the rear one. Removing the front will change driveability, some people notice it while others don't. Before I buttoned up dad's 95 last year I let him drive it up the outer road with the front disconnected and he brought it back and said there was something not quite right. I bolted it in place and he took it again and everything was fine. I think it has alot more bearing when the springs are flipped. That being said, I never run either of them when I do my rigs, but having fullsize axles makes um 10 times more stable.

PapaSqwatt 05-21-2012 10:25 PM

So im curious. i want more flex as well but i also get DW. should i buy new track bars or ditch em? Will it get rid of my DW if i do?

denisbaldwin 05-22-2012 07:17 PM

Based on this advice, I think I'm going to ditch all but my front track bar.

Xpress 05-22-2012 07:50 PM

My front track bar is gone. If my swaybar is still connected, there's no difference, but disconnect it and it doesn't flex as much as the rear. If anything, ditch your trackbars and keep your swaybar, the last thing you want is to have to change lanes in an instant and have your Jeep rolling to pieces because your swaybar wasn't on.