Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Got the lca's on... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/got-the-lcas-on-146758.html)

Sueby 03-16-2012 02:36 PM

Got the lca's on...

And all is right in my little world. My caster is back to 5.3 & it feels great. I drove all the way home on the highway with one hand. ;) Caster was at 2.3 after a 2.5 inch lift and it was so flighty it scared me a couple times when I had to make some quick moves on the highway (I drive with a target on my back).

We set them 23 inches from bolt center to bolt center like ya'll told me to & they didn't even have to touch them when they did the alignment.

kjeeper10 03-16-2012 02:41 PM

:thumb:

the Kolector 03-16-2012 03:24 PM

I replaced mine recently as well, like night and day difference, I can't believe how much better it drives, but it could also be the Synergy ball joints too! :thumb:

Sueby 03-16-2012 03:31 PM

Why'd you do the ball joints?

kjeeper10 03-16-2012 03:55 PM

Stocks suck :D

Daniel_M 03-16-2012 04:01 PM

Take note AEV control arm bracket guys. No replacement for real control arms. Would the brackets have helped the castor? Maybe, but now the OP can actually build off the adj control arms. If he wants more lift, he can do it. Congrats on getting her dialed in

-Dan

Sueby 03-16-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Stocks suck :D

So I've been hearing!

My camber changed with the lca's. I didn't think that was possible. But what do I know I guess!

Sueby 03-16-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M
Take note AEV control arm bracket guys. No replacement for real control arms. Would the brackets have helped the castor? Maybe, but now the OP can actually build off the adj control arms. If he wants more lift, he can do it. Congrats on getting her dialed in

-Dan

Yep, that's the conclusion I came to. And I'm very happy with how it turned out so far.

Ftr, I'm a her and my Jeep is a he. ;)

killerbee812 03-16-2012 04:47 PM

Sounds great!! What brand arms did you end up getting installed?

Sueby 03-16-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerbee812
Sounds great!! What brand arms did you end up getting installed?

I went with Rustys after a couple of recommendations from people here. They were a little cheaper than some others I looked at but I couldn't find anyone saying anything bad about them so it seemed like a good choice.

Preston777 03-16-2012 06:22 PM

What lift do you have? Im going to lift mine 2.5 as well but I dont want a finicky ride either so i guess ill have to do lca's to.
Also forgot to add did you do both front and rear lca's?

I came from a sports car so im used to good handling =p

Sueby 03-16-2012 06:32 PM

I have a rc 2.5 spacer lift. I did front lca's only. Everyone keeps saying all Jeeps are different - but I can't imagine how they could be so different that 2.5 inches of lift wouldn't need adjustable ca's of some sort.

What lift are you doing?

kjeeper10 03-16-2012 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby
I have a rc 2.5 spacer lift. I did front lca's only. Everyone keeps saying all Jeeps are different - but I can't imagine how they could be so different that 2.5 inches of lift wouldn't need adjustable ca's of some sort.

What lift are you doing?

I never had that flighty steering that peeps talk about. It was the Bumpsteer or whatever it's called that irked me. Did I need them? Prob not but I think the ride is better with the LCA's.

Next is this and my new shocks :thumb:

the Kolector 03-16-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2147392)
Why'd you do the ball joints?

Stocks worn out at 26k miles, lowers at least. Need to replace uppers at the same time.

Preston777 03-16-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2147902)

What lift are you doing?

doing the teraflex 2.5 coil one

Sueby 03-16-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

I never had that flighty steering that peeps talk about. It was the Bumpsteer or whatever it's called that irked me. Did I need them? Prob not but I think the ride is better with the LCA's.

Next is this and my new shocks :thumb:

Is that a drag link? Why you replacing it?

Sueby 03-16-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777
doing the teraflex 2.5 coil one

Cool. I'd suggest doing the lift & drive it before you invest in the lca's. You never know, you may not need them. Then again they surely can't hurt and if you ever plan on going bigger you'd be all set.

SilverSport 03-16-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M (Post 2147471)

-Dan

Take note AEV control arm bracket guys. The AEV brackets have 3 different holes. For 2.5", 3.5", and 4.5". So the brackets allow you some flexibility to go higher and still use the OEM control arms.

On another note, when I got the new rims and tires installed last weekend, I also got an alignment. The tech gave me a printout and according to his specs, the minimum caster for my Jeep is 3.7 degrees and max is 4.7. Mine right now is 3.0 degrees. If I got adjustable LCAs is the 23" measurement still a good starting point?

And the Rusty's look identical to the Synergy ones. Only they are about $125 cheaper.

Sueby 03-17-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi

Take note AEV control arm bracket guys. The AEV brackets have 3 different holes. For 2.5", 3.5", and 4.5". So the brackets allow you some flexibility to go higher and still use the OEM control arms.

On another note, when I got the new rims and tires installed last weekend, I also got an alignment. The tech gave me a printout and according to his specs, the minimum caster for my Jeep is 3.7 degrees and max is 4.7. Mine right now is 3.0 degrees. If I got adjustable LCAs is the 23" measurement still a good starting point?

And the Rusty's look identical to the Synergy ones. Only they are about $125 cheaper.

Do you have a lift? I do believe 23 is the magic number to start with, but I'm no expert. I really had a hard time convincing the alignment peeps that their 'spec' doesn't mean diddly squat on a lifted jeep.

SilverSport 03-18-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sueby (Post 2150769)
Do you have a lift? I do believe 23 is the magic number to start with, but I'm no expert. I really had a hard time convincing the alignment peeps that their 'spec' doesn't mean diddly squat on a lifted jeep.

I have a 2" lift and since the castor on my Jeep is only 3 degrees I was thinking of adjustable LCAs to bump it up to about 5 degrees.

kjeeper10 03-18-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi

I have a 2" lift and since the castor on my Jeep is only 3 degrees I was thinking of adjustable LCAs to bump it up to about 5 degrees.

3? :eek:

Or you can grow a third hand to hold on to the wheel :D

Must be rough ?

I'm now at 5. The arms are set to 23 1/8

blue06rubicon 12-18-2012 11:06 PM

I've been reading alot of posts & have adjustable upper & lower control arms on my 06 Rubicon & have to ask, at what point on the front axle do you measure the caster angle & how do you make sure that when you get this angle it's from a perfect 90 degree reference ??? I'm not a geometry major but wouldn't variables such as vehicle rake and even the surface the vehicle is setting on affect the caster angle ? The caster has to be compared to something on the vehicle that is "level" ............right ?

pluke the 2 12-19-2012 12:45 AM

If you aren't using a machine the proper way will be to use your pinion flange as a guide. Stock factory measurements have the caster at 4* and the pinion at 2* (rise). This is 6* of separation. This means that at 6* of caster your pinion angle is zero. Normally, this is not a good thing for a lifted JK.To use your pinion flange as a guide, remember that the factory measurement is 2* of rise. If you use an angle finder here and have 4* of rise you'll know you have 2* of caster (6* of separation).*