Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

radio display flashes when braking...

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Dextreme 
#1 ·
So, today on my way home from work I noticed the display lights in my stock radio flashing. Then they quit. At the next red light I noticed it only did it when I had the brake pedal pressed.
Once I got home, I turned the flashes on and the same thing happened. I checked all the lights and all are working.
I also noticed the the warning chime when the lights are left on when the key is removed and the door is opened didn't chime.
And lastly, there seemed to be a slight smell almost like chlorine? Not sure what that was. Thought it might have been more a burning wire smell, but not quite?

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I would check over and trace any non oem custom wiring first. Something might be grounding out. Look for pinched wires or where they may rub on metal, like going through the firewall, etc.

#3 ·
After checking that no lights were burnt out, I did check the few non-oem wires I do have. All looked fine and nothing powered by them has any problems operating.

I can't figure out how anything to do with the brake/signal lights can have anything to do with the radio?
Thought maybe it was some kind of factory warning indicator...... but for what???

#4 ·
I finally found the problem. On my trailer wire plug, I have one of those do-dads that let's you know the wires are working properly. Seems it shorted out and hopefully that's what caused the problems.
I still can't figure out how the tail lights have anything to do with the radio??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.