Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Noise When Accelerating at Low RPMs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-noise-when-accelerating-at-low-rpms-146883.html)

Jlmo 03-17-2012 07:13 AM

2012 Noise When Accelerating at Low RPMs
 
My automatic JKU is 2 weeks old and has 350 miles. I have heard this sound since the second day of owning the jeep.

I'm having a humming/resonance sound when I accelerate to maintain a consistent speed at low RPMs. It goes away with more or less acceleration (I hear it best at 40mph). The best way I can describe it is it sounds very faintly like a manual transmission going too slow in a higher gear. I do NOT hear it louder when the windows are down.

The sound is not very loud. No passengers have noticed it. Temperature does not have any impact.

I was curious if anyone else has experienced this. I know the Jeep is far from broken in and will likely have the dealer look at it. I can see it now that they will drive it and hear nothing.

Thanks

New2012JEEP 03-17-2012 08:22 AM

Normal driveshaft noise? Had a vehicle with driveshaft before?

kjeeper10 03-17-2012 08:48 AM

This ^

The jeep is not insulated as well as other vehicles. You hear more noises than usual :)

Jlmo 03-17-2012 09:17 AM

I'm coming from a 2011 and a 2008 before that, so I am pretty used to driveshafts...

I'm hoping it just part of the break in process and I'm just not used to the new engine/tranny.

Thanks

pdubois64 03-17-2012 11:57 AM

I hear exactly what you are describing. It's just the exhaust note/drone at that certain RPM/torque. I don't really like the sound (sort of sounds like a fart can muffler on a Honda) but I'm not about to throw a different exhaust on this thing. I noticed it started at 300 miles and that's when the ECU reportly starts to wake up and the tune changes a bit.

2012Cosmos 03-17-2012 11:59 AM

There was another thread on this, supposedly on cold startups when the engine isn't warmed up there are two wire-braided cables that run through the firewall and into the dash. They expand and contract with the temperatures and when you are hearing this noise, those two cables are vibrating/rubbing against each other until the temperature heats up. That's what I got out of the thread that I read, because I have the same issue you do. I'm over it now. :whistling:

Mr. Fish 03-17-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012Cosmos (Post 2150067)
There was another thread on this, supposedly on cold startups when the engine isn't warmed up there are two wire-braided cables that run through the firewall and into the dash. They expand and contract with the temperatures and when you are hearing this noise, those two cables are vibrating/rubbing against each other until the temperature heats up. That's what I got out of the thread that I read, because I have the same issue you do. I'm over it now. :whistling:

You might be referring to the 1/2" metal heater pipes that run through the firewall in behind the dash. They do vibrate together. Pull the glove box out and look up behind the stereo, you'll see them. Stick a block of foam or something between them. Fixed my issue.

Of course, this could be a totally different sound ...

Jlmo 03-17-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Fish

You might be referring to the 1/2" metal heater pipes that run through the firewall in behind the dash. They do vibrate together. Pull the glove box out and look up behind the stereo, you'll see them. Stick a block of foam or something between them. Fixed my issue.

Of course, this could be a totally different sound ...

Unfortunately I tried this and it had no impact. I also tried removing the plastic engine covers as others have also reported vibrations etc.

Temperature has no effect on the resonance. Hot weather, cold weather, cold starts or running for hours.

It is probably me just not used to the setup. I was just curious if others had experienced something similar.

Thanks for the suggestions and input.

7ekken 03-17-2012 07:42 PM

edit: if this is a humming and not a vibration, then I apologize for the lengthy post and i will remove it if you request.


I had 2 similar vibrations that drove me nuts for a few weeks on my 2012 and I finally found them. Hopefully this helps you find yours or is the same thing you are going through.

The left side of the drivers dash where the air vent comes out was where my first one was. It was a plastic on plastic vibration. I removed the side access panel with a flat plastic tool (working it along the seam carefully not to damage the surrounding plastic (see pic 1).

I then removed the under steering column access panel starting with the top 2 corners first to release the plastic clips then the 2 lower clips and rotating the panel outwards since it is on a swivel at the base (see pic 2).

Then to access the rattle area i removed 4 9/32's screws (7mm) from the dash surrounding the radio, instrument cluster and to the sides of the steering column. (1 on each side of the column, 1 on top of the dash under the tray cover, and 1 behind the power window switch which happens to have a very short plug with a locking retainer clip. (see pic 3)

(look up instructions on how to remove your radio in your vehicle on this forum using the search... many good how to's on it without me posting another video/tutorial)

My rattle was coming from the left air vent nearest the driver's door. The right side of the air vent housing was vibrating against another piece of plastic. I used some strips of velcro (loop side.. the soft side) on the air vent housing and the other piece of plastic and that solved my lower rpm vibration. (pic 3 also shows an idea where my first vibration was... red/pink arrow)

pic1
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...de-dash-02.jpg

pic2
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...er-dash-01.jpg

pic3
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...h-front-01.jpg



My second rattle/vibration I have found but I have not been able to fix yet is coming from the plastic lining in my driver's wheel. When I get up between 40-50mph the wind somehow finds a way to make this plastic flutter against the pinch seam.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...ch-seam-02.jpg



Hopefully one of these issues is where your problem is. If not then good luck and maybe this will help someone else. Either way, update us with your findings. I have not had the issue with the 2 aluminum heater cores vibrating behind my glove box yet thankfully.

-Bobby

Jlmo 03-17-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7ekken
edit: if this is a humming and not a vibration, then I apologize for the lengthy post and i will remove it if you request.

I had 2 similar vibrations that drove me nuts for a few weeks on my 2012 and I finally found them. Hopefully this helps you find yours or is the same thing you are going through.

The left side of the drivers dash where the air vent comes out was where my first one was. It was a plastic on plastic vibration. I removed the side access panel with a flat plastic tool (working it along the seam carefully not to damage the surrounding plastic (see pic 1).

I then removed the under steering column access panel starting with the top 2 corners first to release the plastic clips then the 2 lower clips and rotating the panel outwards since it is on a swivel at the base (see pic 2).

Then to access the rattle area i removed 4 9/32's screws (7mm) from the dash surrounding the radio, instrument cluster and to the sides of the steering column. (1 on each side of the column, 1 on top of the dash under the tray cover, and 1 behind the power window switch which happens to have a very short plug with a locking retainer clip. (see pic 3)

(look up instructions on how to remove your radio in your vehicle on this forum using the search... many good how to's on it without me posting another video/tutorial)

My rattle was coming from the left air vent nearest the driver's door. The right side of the air vent housing was vibrating against another piece of plastic. I used some strips of velcro (loop side.. the soft side) on the air vent housing and the other piece of plastic and that solved my lower rpm vibration. (pic 3 also shows an idea where my first vibration was... red/pink arrow)


My second rattle/vibration I have found but I have not been able to fix yet is coming from the plastic lining in my driver's wheel. When I get up between 40-50mph the wind somehow finds a way to make this plastic flutter against the pinch seam.

Hopefully one of these issues is where your problem is. If not then good luck and maybe this will help someone else. Either way, update us with your findings. I have not had the issue with the 2 aluminum heater cores vibrating behind my glove box yet thankfully.

-Bobby


Great info! Don't remove because it could be helpful in the future to myself or others.

I would describe my noise as more or a hum. I would bet it is something with the drive train or exhaust.

7ekken 03-17-2012 08:14 PM

k man, good luck in your search :thumb: hopefully you'll figure it out and update us :)

Perisoreus 03-17-2012 10:53 PM

I had a similar noise in my 2012 Sport 6sp. I took it to the dealer and they suspect its the transmission. I also had a bunch of other signs indicating that the transmission isn't working properly.

New2012JEEP 03-19-2012 08:40 PM

Any info?

kjeeper10 03-19-2012 09:05 PM

I had my windows downand panels off today.
Heard a whistle every time I accelerated. Sounded like I had my BANKS CAI still installed :confused:

Also a rattle but I located its source. Turned out to be one of those engine heat shields. It had a metal vacuum line of some sort running right next to it.

Amazing how much racket that thing made every time I accelerated.

Oh.... And the poster with the wheel well noise. I tried to tighten the bolts that hold them in place with no luck. I just used a zip tie around the head of the bolt. No more fender noise :)

Jlmo 03-19-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New2012JEEP
Any info?

I have an appointment a week from today to have it looked at. I'll surely update once I have more information.

Jlmo 03-19-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I had my windows downand panels off today.
Heard a whistle every time I accelerated. Sounded like I had my BANKS CAI still installed :confused:

Also a rattle but I located its source. Turned out to be one of those engine heat shields. It had a metal vacuum line of some sort running right next to it.

Amazing how much racket that thing made every time I accelerated.

Oh.... And the poster with the wheel well noise. I tried to tighten the bolts that hold them in place with no luck. I just used a zip tie around the head of the bolt. No more fender noise :)

Interestingly, I do not hear the sound when the windows are open.

kjeeper10 03-19-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlmo

Interestingly, I do not hear the sound when the windows are open.

I hear all kinds of interesting sounds when the windows are open haha

SilverSport 03-19-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2158124)
I hear all kinds of interesting sounds when the windows are open haha

With the windows up too. :rofl:

kjeeper10 03-19-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi

With the windows up too. :rofl:

Dash/shifter rattle and still an unexplained thump in the front somewhere. God I love my jeep :D

RooneyGuh 03-20-2012 07:10 PM

I have a '12 Sahara U with about 4k. I have the same noise on pretty much every start up. It's probably more noticeable when it's cold. I checked behind the glove box and it does look like the pipes may be the issue. I had an '11 without this issue.

ShoreWrangler 03-26-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Fish (Post 2150427)
You might be referring to the 1/2" metal heater pipes that run through the firewall in behind the dash. They do vibrate together. Pull the glove box out and look up behind the stereo, you'll see them. Stick a block of foam or something between them. Fixed my issue.

Of course, this could be a totally different sound ...

Incredibly stupid question on my part, but how do you remove the glove box???

I'm getting the vibration issue on the right side of the dash at idle now

pkmcd99 03-26-2012 11:25 AM

Open it. On the right side you will see a tether or plastic connecter that prevents it from falling open to to far, unhook it. Then push the back top corners of your glove box in to fully disengage it. Once this is done, pop out the bottom back corners from the holders. Simple stuff. Dont do when its cold. Plastic breaks easy. Not the correct terminology but it works.

ShoreWrangler 03-26-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2183156)
Open it. On the right side you will see a tether or plastic connecter that prevents it from falling open to to far, unhook it. Then push the back top corners of your glove box in to fully disengage it. Once this is done, pop out the bottom back corners from the holders. Simple stuff. Dont do when its cold. Plastic breaks easy. Not the correct terminology but it works.

Excellent, thank you! Good point about the temperature too :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.