Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Testing self paint job.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/testing-self-paint-job-146961.html)

Fernandof 03-17-2012 02:56 PM

Testing self paint job....

1 Attachment(s)
I am planning on painting my whole jeep a gunmetal black. Today I was extremely bored and decided to test out the paint gun i bought. I went to autozone and bought some jetblack duplicolor paint and primer to test on the hood. Yeah yeah i know all that work to wash sand, prime, paint, clear, ect ect all to just strip it out later for the gunmetal black.. I thought this would be a good excercise for me so i said screw it.

This is my before picture:

Fernandof 03-17-2012 02:57 PM

FYI for my future paint job I will not be using duplicolor, I'll be using a urethane 2 stage.... The cheap lacquor was just a test...

Fernandof 03-17-2012 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here I sanded and painted the first coat of primer.. I got to admit, after 3 coats of primer it looked pretty darn good.

Fernandof 03-17-2012 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the first coat of the jet black paint. I think i applied about 4 coats before i ran out of paint.

Fernandof 03-17-2012 03:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For the clear coat i was tring to apply 4 coats total, 2 light coats and 2 wet coats. Unforturnatly I ran out of clear on the 3rd coat so it looks pretty bad. The area where I ran a wet coat before I ran out looks pretty decent... It would look pretty good If I had finished and then wet sanded and polished

jk'n 03-17-2012 03:33 PM

My son and I are going to use rust oleum on his jeep. The object to the paint job will be to make sure that there is no area of untreated metal on the paint job as a rust control measure. If it looks nice too, well that will be a bonus. I had an employee in a summer camp who had a jeep that he painted with a brush. No rust at all. To touch up after being out in the woods with it, he just hit it with a few brush strokes. We are more into function rather than looks for this particular paint job.

Yours looks pretty good for a start. I'm sure that when you get going on the actual paint job that you will get acceptable results. Good luck!

Fernandof 03-17-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk'n (Post 2150598)
My son and I are going to use rust oleum on his jeep. The object to the paint job will be to make sure that there is no area of untreated metal on the paint job as a rust control measure. If it looks nice too, well that will be a bonus. I had an employee in a summer camp who had a jeep that he painted with a brush. No rust at all. To touch up after being out in the woods with it, he just hit it with a few brush strokes. We are more into function rather than looks for this particular paint job.

Yours looks pretty good for a start. I'm sure that when you get going on the actual paint job that you will get acceptable results. Good luck!

Are you going to use a gun or straight from the can? The reason I ask is because I had sprayed my hood from a can last year and it looked pretty bad. It was very uneven. It didnt take more then 3 months before it all faded. I've seen some good results from rolling it, I just wonder how long it lasts.

jk'n 03-17-2012 03:56 PM

We are going to use a spray gun. I bought some quarts of paint from The Home Depot. I'm planning on thinning it down with oil based thinner. The sprayer I have is for touch-up but it will do well for painting small portions at a time. We are looking for acceptable results not flawless results. I had my son paint my wheel barrow at the end of last summer....baby blue and he learned about thinning, consistency, applying too much....etc. He is going to be 17 in June and he is learning a lot about his jeep. He is an artist both in music and painting. He will be more fussy than me most likely. The jeep is white now but we bought bright yellow paint. I'll be posting pictures when the transformation begins.

I had thought about using rattle cans but decided in favor of bulk paint and sprayer.