Taboo Customs makes a TJ winch plate. Price I saw at their web site is about $110. More than quadratec , but this plate is made in USA (i think Illinois) if that matters to you. So less expensive than Warn plate but about $40 more than quadratec or rough country plates. BTW - Taboo Customs photos show the plate attached to a Warn winch, so it would work for that application.
03-18-2012 08:51 PM
I have just installed my new Superwinch 8500 on my 2005 Wrangler. I used the Smittybilt raised mounting plate. I love both of them and the way they look as well. Although I have just installed all of this the quality of both seem very good. My first job was to winch up large cedar logs out of the woods. Uphill and over rocks. I chocked my Jeep but still at times the winch/logs pulled the Jeep forward instead of the logs. Learning a couple of things, I will now be in the market for a strong pulley or two that have a plate that opens allowing the cable to be placed and removed from the pulley spool. With that you can get an angle or height on your pull.
Since I am new to Wranglers and have never owned a winch here is what I learned, also this was all done in the woods of Arkansas. No internet, no phone, all in all it took a couple of weeks:
1. Winch arrived but did not come with a mounting plate. Didn't really mention that when I ordered it from Amazon but I probably missed "Those who have ordered this also order this" statement.
2. Ordered plate. Arrived but didn't fit and arrived without bolts and hardware (I am in the WOODS). Also, it now appears that on almost any of these mounts the plastic torsion/sway bar cover has to be removed. When you order this stuff most don't mention that.
3. Now ordered the Smittybilt from 4 Wheel Drive Hardware specifically for my Wrangler. Arrived. Ready to install but now I see that I need a star drive to remove the bolts on the stock bumper. It is a T55 drive. I have all of them up to a T45. AAAARRRRGGGG. I am in the WOODS. Drive back into town.
4. Once I have all of the tools in place the winch attaches to the Smittybilt mounting plate and the plate mounts to the stock bumper in 20 minutes.
5. I would recommend this combination. It mounts on the standard bumper and looks great.
03-18-2012 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by ebp123
Do i need to buy a new bumper in order to mount a winch or do i just need a winch mounting plate?
Rugged ridge makes a flat mount for use with the stock bumper. I re-used the hardware from the factory, mine is raised. It holds up fine.