Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   AEV Premium Bumper, Tube or Tubeless? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/aev-premium-bumper-tube-or-tubeless-147124.html)

glowingghoul 03-18-2012 12:07 PM

AEV Premium Bumper, Tube or Tubeless?

What do you guys think, go with the tubes, or not?

I'm having a little difficulty figuring out if the tubes offer much protection beyond what the bumper already provides.

pprice72 03-18-2012 12:12 PM

I am fixing to buy the same bumper and am not going with the tubes. I have read that they are good without them. I am not the expert on this issue by any means though :)

KarlG 03-18-2012 12:32 PM

I went with the tubed version. I live in deer country. One additional factor in the choice to be aware of is that the tubeless premium bumper, besides costing a little less, also is cut slightly different and offers easier grill removal. As of a few weeks ago, the tubed bumpers also received the new cut pattern. Most of the tubed bumpers in store stock will be the "old" pattern.

CG3 03-18-2012 01:00 PM

If you hit something in your grill area, it will, to some extent, prevent whatever you hit from penetrating your radiator... that's kind of a no-brainer for me

basecamper 03-18-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 2153011)
I went with the tubed version. I live in deer country. One additional factor in the choice to be aware of is that the tubeless premium bumper, besides costing a little less, also is cut slightly different and offers easier grill removal. As of a few weeks ago, the tubed bumpers also received the new cut pattern. Most of the tubed bumpers in store stock will be the "old" pattern.

x2 on the deer protection! I have the old style with tube sitting in the garage just waiting on a rally lights harness to arrive.

44Blues 03-18-2012 05:12 PM

Tubeless for me. I like the cleaner lines and am less worried about hitting critters.

Stallion289TX 04-03-2012 07:49 PM

I finally decided to get the AEV tubeless bumper along with their steel skid plate (1099 and 299 respectively). After a great deal of research, I learned that the AEV bumpers sold for 1,000 something are exactly the same bumpers that go on COD MW3 edition (dealer charges 4,300 for the MW3 bumper and claims that it is not the same - in fact, AEV manufactures the bumpers for MW3!!!!!). Now my issue is that, AEV website states that their bumpers fit 2012 wranglers built after 12/21/2012 without any modifications! I emailed AEV inquiring about my Rubicon since it was built in Sep 2011 and I learned that minor modifications are necessary since mine built before 12/21! They sent me installation instructions which don't specify the difference. Has anyone installed AEV bumpers on his/her 2012 wrangler? If so, was your wrangler built before 12/21/11? And what kind of modifications did you have to do? Thanks

ndrugby 04-03-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stallion289TX (Post 2216183)
I finally decided to get the AEV tubeless bumper along with their steel skid plate (1099 and 299 respectively). After a great deal of research, I learned that the AEV bumpers sold for 1,000 something are exactly the same bumpers that go on COD MW3 edition (dealer charges 4,300 for the MW3 bumper and claims that it is not the same - in fact, AEV manufactures the bumpers for MW3!!!!!). Now my issue is that, AEV website states that their bumpers fit 2012 wranglers built after 12/21/2012 without any modifications! I emailed AEV inquiring about my Rubicon since it was built in Sep 2011 and I learned that minor modifications are necessary since mine built before 12/21! They sent me installation instructions which don't specify the difference. Has anyone installed AEV bumpers on his/her 2012 wrangler? If so, was your wrangler built before 12/21/11? And what kind of modifications did you have to do? Thanks

Check out this post:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/aev...ml#post1928830