Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   help, parents have gone jeep crazy (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/help-parents-have-gone-jeep-crazy-147143.html)

Casotakar1229 03-18-2012 01:54 PM

help, parents have gone jeep crazy

...so, I got my 2 door JK about 2 weeks ago and have absolutely LOVED it and bragged about it (it's versatility, looks, interior, exterior, etc etc etc). my parents come from the BMW, Mercedez, basically german high end models (my mom is getting the 2012 C63 AMG this summer, YIKES). Well, my dad, he loves 4x4's and SUV's etc...he has been overwhelmingly convinced by my reviews to go buy a 2012 JKU. I need some advice to offer him. I am new to the jeep world and not sure what to say about the 4 door. He wants white, black top, fully loaded with NAV, leather, keyless entry (told him make sure gears are 3.73) he wants auto, etc. He said he doesn't want the Rubicon (feels he won't use it to it's full advantage and is look at Sahara or Unlimited)...What did some of y'all pay and what packages did you have? He lives in Northern Virginia/DC area. Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

cmg427 03-18-2012 02:45 PM

Unlimited just means 4 door. It looks like he wants it loaded so Sahara unlimited is the best bet from what you described. I would go to Jeep.com and build up the Sahara to his liking and then do so with the Rubicon, in the end its only a 2-3k difference and IMO worth it. You should expect to pay about 10% below msrp and it will help for him to join tread lightly while he figures out what he wants. Congrats on your new jeep

SilverSport 03-18-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casotakar1229 (Post 2153220)
...Well, my dad, he loves 4x4's and SUV's etc...he has been overwhelmingly convinced by my reviews to go buy a 2012 JKU.

Been known to happen. Your Dad wouldn't be the first person to fall in love with a Jeep after seing someone elses.

jsmithtx 03-18-2012 03:28 PM

Jeeps seem to have that effect on other people. Welcome. Like cmg said if there isn't that much of a price difference I would go with the Rubicon. Check the gearing difference between the Sahara and the Rubicon.

Casotakar1229 03-18-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmg427 (Post 2153303)
Unlimited just means 4 door. It looks like he wants it loaded so Sahara unlimited is the best bet from what you described. I would go to Jeep.com and build up the Sahara to his liking and then do so with the Rubicon, in the end its only a 2-3k difference and IMO worth it. You should expect to pay about 10% below msrp and it will help for him to join tread lightly while he figures out what he wants. Congrats on your new jeep

I will advise him to do so...good idea about tread lightly program, slipped my mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi (Post 2153372)
Been known to happen. Your Dad wouldn't be the first person to fall in love with a Jeep after seing someone elses.

haha, nope, happened to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithtx (Post 2153380)
Jeeps seem to have that effect on other people. Welcome. Like cmg said if there isn't that much of a price difference I would go with the Rubicon. Check the gearing difference between the Sahara and the Rubicon.

Yea, the gearing he was looking at today on the sahara unlimited was 3.73...I'll see what he thinks about the rubicon, too.

Thanks for all the advice/replies.

kbwwolf 03-18-2012 05:06 PM

Judging from the cars your dad is used to, I'd say go with the Sahara. I doubt he'll ever use the electronic swaybar disconnects, or have any need for a beefier front axle, or any of the other off road extras that come on a Rubi.

My dad is the same kinda car guy: he's had a 'vette, a Benz, a BMW M6 (I think that's what it was), etc. He's also got some kinda big-ass Toyota pickup truck with a bed cover on it for when he needs to rough it. :)

In fact, I'd do everything in my power to persuade my dad NOT to buy a Jeep. The first annoying rattle, squeak, or otherwise easily fixable problem and he'd be dealership-bound.

God forbid he got a leaky one. :eek:

Casotakar1229 03-18-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf (Post 2153611)
Judging from the cars your dad is used to, I'd say go with the Sahara. I doubt he'll ever use the electronic swaybar disconnects, or have any need for a beefier front axle, or any of the other off road extras that come on a Rubi.

My dad is the same kinda car guy: he's had a 'vette, a Benz, a BMW M6 (I think that's what it was), etc. He's also got some kinda big-ass Toyota pickup truck with a bed cover on it for when he needs to rough it. :)

In fact, I'd do everything in my power to persuade my dad NOT to buy a Jeep. The first annoying rattle, squeak, or otherwise easily fixable problem and he'd be dealership-bound.

that's what I'm afraid of. he freaks out if anything on the cars he is used to squeak or have any leaks or don't haul ass at any gear or burn too much oil, etc...lol. I am sure he'll get plenty use of the warranty on a brand new jeep. I am going to let him know he probably won't use the capabilities of the rubicon and point him in the sahara direction...

thanks for the reply :thumb:

Tanksta 03-18-2012 05:17 PM

Another vote for a loaded Sahara!

Funny how "the disease" spreads so easily.
Less than a week after I ordered my 12', my buddy at work bought an 09' X and a week later his brother bought an 07' Rubicon. Once the bug gets ya, there aint nothing to do but "get yer fix"!

Casotakar1229 03-18-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanksta (Post 2153639)
Another vote for a loaded Sahara!

Funny how "the disease" spreads so easily.
Less than a week after I ordered my 12', my buddy at work bought an 09' X and a week later his brother bought an 07' Rubicon. Once the bug gets ya, there aint nothing to do but "get yer fix"!

another vote for sahara huh? cool. haha, that is an impressive domino effect I must say...we'll see who buys one after my parents do! it's bound to happen.

af_juicy 03-18-2012 06:38 PM

You guys are so right about the bug, I got my 2012 Dozer JKU Sport mid January. My uncle called asking if he could test drive mine. I said sure, he and aunt came over on the weekend drove it for a few minutes and purchased thier's own on the Monday, they got a 2011 Cosmo Blue JKU that had a lot of added items because the dealership they went to was trying to move it.

7ekken 03-18-2012 07:19 PM

If he wants pricing information this is a great place to start
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ad-101089.html

also have him look into any incentives possibly going on around the time of purchase.... 0% or money back depends on dealers... also look into the tread lightly program or usaa if he qualifies

Casotakar1229 03-18-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by af_juicy (Post 2153859)
You guys are so right about the bug, I got my 2012 Dozer JKU Sport mid January. My uncle called asking if he could test drive mine. I said sure, he and aunt came over on the weekend drove it for a few minutes and purchased thier's own on the Monday, they got a 2011 Cosmo Blue JKU that had a lot of added items because the dealership they went to was trying to move it.

thanks for the feedback and that's a great story! I hope to have more of my own like that :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7ekken (Post 2153998)
If he wants pricing information this is a great place to start
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ad-101089.html

also have him look into any incentives possibly going on around the time of purchase.... 0% or money back depends on dealers... also look into the tread lightly program or usaa if he qualifies

thanks, I will send this link to him! :thumb:

OH9JK 03-18-2012 08:21 PM

Are your parents interested in adopting a new son?

:wavey:

Yella 03-18-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

:rofl:

Some folks just require total seclusion from the elements.

Casotakar1229 03-18-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 2154242)
Are your parents interested in adopting a new son?

:wavey:

lol, they have 4 sons and 2 grandchildren (one a boy)...sorry. BUT they always have room for fellow jeep friends!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yella (Post 2154544)
:rofl:

Some folks just require total seclusion from the elements.

lol.

komats 03-18-2012 10:10 PM

4 sons? Sounds like they need a daughter then! Send them my direction. Lol Instead if buying their own they could just support my habit.

Casotakar1229 03-18-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komats (Post 2154786)
4 sons? Sounds like they need a daughter then! Send them my direction. Lol Instead if buying their own they could just support my habit.

haha any girls that come around are spoiled by mom and all us boys feel neglected!

RoxstarD 03-18-2012 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes to Sahara, yes to white, maybe a color matching top( not a fan of color match, but man it looks good on white):

Attachment 106081

JEEPDON 03-19-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

. :eek:

But you never know; he might surprise the hell out of you!! You might NEED your Rubi just to keep up with him!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Myself, I am pushing 66, and just the other day, had to winch a young guy in a Bad-ass CJ up a hill that I had just crawled up!!!:punk:

wildrumpus jk 03-19-2012 09:01 AM

I think I've convinced my dad to get a jeep after he drove mine with top and doors off. He has been wanting a manual transmission again. Mom hates it though so it probably won't happen

tropical36 03-19-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmg427 (Post 2153303)

He might check the Chrysler affilates as well to see if he might qualify for another 1% under invoice.
If he can't find a Wrangler to suit him, MB :eek: does make a high end Beverly Hills mall crawler (watch my mouth:hide:) that has been known to be competitive on the off road as well... :whistling:

Casotakar1229 03-19-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropical36 (Post 2155843)
He might check the Chrysler affilates as well to see if he might qualify for another 1% under invoice.
If he can't find a Wrangler to suit him, MB :eek: does make a high end Beverly Hills mall crawler (watch my mouth:hide:) that has been known to be competitive on the off road as well... :whistling:

ewww, mall crawler...no thanks, he doesn't even like those lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildrumpus jk (Post 2155841)
I think I've convinced my dad to get a jeep after he drove mine with top and doors off. He has been wanting a manual transmission again. Mom hates it though so it probably won't happen

my mom loves it, she taught me manual actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoxstarD (Post 2154879)
Yes to Sahara, yes to white, maybe a color matching top( not a fan of color match, but man it looks good on white):

yea, that looks pretty great. I like the black top though on white lol. not sure if he cares.

thanks for all the replies/feedback!