Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Removed Hard Top! Have a couple questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/removed-hard-top-have-a-couple-questions-147347.html)

FirstTimeJeeper 03-19-2012 11:46 AM

Removed Hard Top! Have a couple questions

Finally got the hard top off now that the nice spring weather is here in VA. I had some questions though while riding with the soft top on or top down.

First, my soft top came with 2 sets of straps - one is velcro and one is more like elastic with snaps on the end. I used the velcro straps while riding in sunrider mode the other evening but i'm not sure what the elastic bands are for and can't find much about them anywhere in my manual or online. Any help?

Also, now that my rear electrical harness and washer fluid are disconnected from the hard top, do I just leave them out dangling? I noticed a place near the rear roll cage bar that had diagrams that looked like I was supposed to stick each cord in but I can't get it loose. I can take a picture of what I'm talking about if that makes no sense.

other than that, enjoying the freedom of the soft top!

Matador 03-19-2012 01:20 PM

Those other straps are for the rear window. Your suppose to roll it up and loop those band around. If you look at the rear top part of the soft top from the inside you'll see where they snap onto. As for the harness and fluid tube, I slipped mine into that area you talked about. It took some time but eventually it cracked open for me.

FirstTimeJeeper 03-19-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 2156596)
Those other straps are for the rear window. Your suppose to roll it up and loop those band around. If you look at the rear top part of the soft top from the inside you'll see where they snap onto. As for the harness and fluid tube, I slipped mine into that area you talked about. It took some time but eventually it cracked open for me.

do they just slip down into that space or do they connect in some way to something inside there? i was able to slide the fluid tube into it's "space" but i'll have to try a bit harder for the electric connector.

and thanks for the info on the back window, that's definitely handy.

will there be any issues with scratching the window if i roll it up with the tailgate bar attached?

Casotakar1229 03-19-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 2156596)

x2 they snap onto the bar and you roll the window up and stretch the bands around them to hold the rear window up so when you fold top down it fits/stays nicely in place.

4fit 03-19-2012 01:43 PM

For the electrical and washer hose, I just unzip the roll bar padding, lay the connections in there, then zip it back up.

southpaw75 03-19-2012 02:07 PM

Where can the straps be ordered from?

FirstTimeJeeper 03-19-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2156668)
For the electrical and washer hose, I just unzip the roll bar padding, lay the connections in there, then zip it back up.

great idea. i guess i was under the impression that there were connections under that plastic by the roll bar that they would plug into the keep the connections clean/clear/etc while not in use.

thanks everyone!

Matador 03-19-2012 02:24 PM

I didn't see any connections, I think they get tucked in there to protect them from the elements.

Twisky 03-19-2012 02:31 PM

If all the text answers up top didn't help, Here ya go
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...p/DSCN2910.JPG
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/...p/DSCN2915.JPG

Another Guy In A Jeep 03-19-2012 02:32 PM

I just kinda leave those dangling there...not a good idea if I decide to press the washer fluid button for the rear window tho eh?

4fit 03-19-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Guy In A Jeep
I just kinda leave those dangling there...not a good idea if I decide to press the washer fluid button for the rear window tho eh?

Actually, it shouldn't spray anything. I believe it recognizes that the wire arness isn't hooked up and doesn't send fluid through the line.

kjeeper10 03-19-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Guy In A Jeep

I thought there is a plug?

Another Guy In A Jeep 03-19-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2156821)
Actually, it shouldn't spray anything. I believe it recognizes that the wire arness isn't hooked up and doesn't send fluid through the line.

hmmmm good to know. I never really bothered with it though. lol I can't even recall where the rear window washer fluid button is :nonono:

DoucheBaggins 03-19-2012 04:14 PM

Heres an idea that came to me after seeing the pics above. After many many nights (or rather months) of living in a tent, it might be a good idea to roll the windows inward, rather than outward as the pics above describe. With them rolled inward there is less chance of rain/dirt getting caught in the roll. I see that the window sits up in the lip of the top but either case, just something to think about. There may be no wrong or right way of doing it.

TRubicon 03-23-2012 10:43 AM

I have a 2012 unlimited and have put the soft top fully down. There is no slot in the body for the velcro straps to hold down the top. I have seen the slot in a video for the'08 model, is there an alternate solution for '12?

I don't want my top flying off at highway speeds. :)

mattgeb 03-23-2012 10:49 AM

make sure you plug up the washer fluid line or it will leak