Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   torqued "pop" coming from tires when turning or accelerating (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/torqued-pop-coming-from-tires-when-turning-or-accelerating-147529.html)

gbuck27 03-20-2012 12:30 AM

torqued "pop" coming from tires when turning or accelerating

I just bought a 2004 wrangler unlimited. When I am accelerating from a stopped position or making a sharp turn, I hear a torqued pop sound coming from the area of the tires. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

Redsand 03-20-2012 01:17 AM

ball joint

JRIEDY85 03-20-2012 07:16 AM

mine does the same thing. sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side on mine though.

Beaker541 03-20-2012 07:41 AM

I have been messing with my e-brake over the last week and now I'm having problems with the cable slipping off the connection to the back of the caliber area.. I just got the same sound twice yesterday.. I am getting ebrake situation fixed today so ill keep u posted if I still hear it after .. Sound could be the cable grabbing that latch and slipping off after vehicle rocks if tha makes sence..

Beaker541 03-20-2012 07:42 AM

Don't know why turning would make it happen though

neverfastenough1 03-20-2012 09:02 AM

Sounds like track bar or ujoint on axle.

Jerry Bransford 03-20-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbuck27 (Post 2158991)
I just bought a 2004 wrangler unlimited. When I am accelerating from a stopped position or making a sharp turn, I hear a torqued pop sound coming from the area of the tires. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

Sounds like it could be a bad control arm bushing since it happens when accelerating straight forward. Though really, any bad bushing could cause that type of sound.

TJspeed 03-20-2012 10:19 AM

My 2000 does that. Sounds like a U-Joint popping. But all my U-Joints are just fine

gbuck27 03-20-2012 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Now I have a better idea on where to get started. I will post if I find out what exactly is causing it. Thanks again.

billyd0528 04-07-2012 05:17 PM

mine was doing the same thing, and i thought ujoint or bearing and what not but it actually turned out to be my spider gears inside my axle, they were broken and the teeth would catch on the turns because of the inside pressure, the only bad part is you have to open it up to check if that was it. take it to an offroad shop maybe and have them check it out is only like 40 bucks, and with the teeth like that the pressure could break your axle, better to be safe than sorry

Allstar Realtor 04-07-2012 10:24 PM

My 99 was doing it as well. I took the rear dif cover off and the smell was very strong. The oil was very thick and very black. I think the level was low as well, but didn't measure what came out. The gears from what I could tell were fine. I didn't see any broken teeth or anything. Put it back together and seemed fine last night. I did feel a little pop today though. Not sure what to check next. The rear brakes & drums are new as well. E-brake getting caught up??