Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   what is a good cold air intake for 92 yj (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/what-is-a-good-cold-air-intake-for-92-yj-147564.html)

YJgirl1990 03-20-2012 08:46 AM

what is a good cold air intake for 92 yj

What brand and is there a certain size? I keep hearing I should invest in one and that it will make my jeep "breathe easier"

dmcg 03-20-2012 02:02 PM

Jeeps have a nonrestrictive airflow so they breathe perfectly fine. AC delco has the best "breathable" air filter for Jeeps. Don't use K&N unless you want to spend a couple of hours every few months cleaning your throttle body. As for cold air intake, it's actually a hot air intake since it sucks all the hot air from the engine compartment. Your factory air filter housing keeps the temp down compared to the rest of the engine. Spend your money on better things for your Jeep :)

YJgirl1990 03-21-2012 08:20 AM

Ok I just heard it would make it better on gas if I did that what do u think are a few good things to Do to get him running happier :) ?

MickeYJ 03-21-2012 08:30 AM

I just installed one myself yesterday.
I got an AirAid Cold air intake ($260) and a throttle body spacer ($60) and it responds a bit better and sounds sexy!!!!
Oh and I didn't brake any nails THANK G-D!!! Cause I just got them done ! Lol

Btw I posted some lame cheesy vids of how it sounded before and after and also a mini test drive post install.

Www.YouTube.com/KrystasYJ

ChicaliBroYJ 03-21-2012 10:38 AM

You should run a can of seafoam through your tank and put some in the booster vac line. That keeps my 4.0l running really well. Also change your fuel filter.

Have you considered swapping to 19lb. injectors?

MickeYJ 03-21-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicaliBroYJ
You should run a can of seafoam through your tank and put some in the booster vac line. That keeps my 4.0l running really well. Also change your fuel filter.

Have you considered swapping to 19lb. injectors?

I'm planning on doing the seafoam treatment n I replaced my TPS and fuel filter last month.

YJgirl1990 03-21-2012 12:39 PM

I have a 2.5l what is a seafoam treatment can I do it myslf or do I bring it somewhere

MickeYJ 03-21-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJgirl1990
I have a 2.5l what is a seafoam treatment can I do it myslf or do I bring it somewhere

I've never done it but ya it's some liquid u get from auto store and u pour some in the gas tank... A bit n the throttle thing and some n some vacuum hose... YouTube "how to seafoam" and there's plenty of DIY vids. I wanna try it

ClayL 03-21-2012 01:54 PM

Don't put a CAI on your jeep, no need for it, if anything do a snorkel. As for sea foam it's a good quick cheap cleaning, but if you have a Firestone near you go there and ask about their induction cleaner. Just did it to my '87 not that long ago and it cleaned up the throttle response nicely, my MPG's even increased. I payed $40 for it but that's an employe price, I think normal is like $80? But that basically pays labor.

dmcg 03-21-2012 10:04 PM

The best thing you can do for gas mileage is make sure your air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensor, oil, tire pressure rear exhaust and cat are all good. These are the things that affect your gas mileage and performance of your Jeep. "Bolt on" performance items typically won't make any real improvements. If you have a 2.5L, an exhaust header and freeflow exhaust would be the only thing to help it breathe better. Seafoam is good for cleaning out the system and easy to use