Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Arizona Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f45/)
-   -   Williams, Arizona - Info Request (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f45/williams-arizona-info-request-147598.html)

Xjman1 03-20-2012 10:39 AM

Williams, Arizona - Info Request

Kind of off topic, but we were "stuck" in Williams this weekend and really liked what we saw. I talked to a few folks and it seems the outdoor activities are great around there. Can anyone here elaborate and provide some photos of local activities they have participated in? Off-road trails, camping, fishing, etc.
Been thinking of relocating in the future and from what I saw this area really looks like a nice place for a new beginning.

CactusRed 03-20-2012 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Williams area is one of our favorites for camping and catch and release fishing. We spend probably 2 weekends a month up there in the summer either on day trips or overnighting in the camper. Winter offers the opportunity for some snow wheelin' until the snow gets too deep. We live about 45 minutes to the south south west in Chino Valley, and the area up there provides us with 15 degree cooler temps in the summer. The Prescott, Kiabab, and Coconino NF have literally thousands of miles of dirt roads to explore in the immediate area. I've been poking around here since I got my license in 1976, and still find new thing to do and explore.

The town itself is very depressed economically speaking. It relies on I-40 traffic and the Grand Canyon visitors either on the GC Railroad or via car/truck/bus traffic. Tourism has dropped a lot since 2008, and with the high gas prices expected this summer, I expect to see many more businesses close. It's sad to see what is happening to many of the tourist towns in AZ - basically every single town in the high country, with the exception of Flagstaff, relies of summer tourist and fall hunters for their livelihood. Prices are low right now, but so are the prospects for work. The major towns in the area are Prescott and Flagstaff and there are more opportunities in both.

I try to lead a trail ride once a month - now in the JKUR and in the Power Wagon. We also take our StarCraft 10RT up to the remote locations in the area. The photo is at 9300' - high elevation for the area. Between Williams, Flagstaff, and the rest of the Mogollon Rim all the way into NM, you have years of exploration to do.

Xjman1 03-20-2012 10:16 PM

That's some good info, thanks for sharing. I too prefer to catch and release, unless the wife wants one for diner. I do not like fish, just love the relaxation of fishing. Plan is to possibly invest in a home or property for now and get it ready for retirement. I kind of figured the job market would be bad and dependent on tourism, with that said and the number of trails/dirt road available seems it would be a great spot for a Jeep Event.
I'll post up next time we are out that way and maybe you could show me around a bit.

CactusRed 03-21-2012 08:49 AM

Anytime! It's always good to have an excuse to go for a day trip!

South of Williams are a couple really nice "cabin" on acreage type developements. Depending on what you are looking for, it could be an option for a more upscale house than the town offers.

By the way - when we got up in the morning at the location in the picture we had a Black Bear at the far end of the meadow.

ReconScout19d 04-11-2012 06:07 PM

That area South of Williams has a nice elk and mule deer population if you hunt.

Arizona Desert Rat 06-27-2012 01:50 PM

When I lived up there it was nice till winter hit, then the activities stop, skiing somtimes if the snow flys