Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Where to go (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/where-to-go-147650.html)

Towboater 03-20-2012 02:54 PM

Where to go

I'm looking for a shop to do my lift. I am located in Evansville IN and looking for somewhere to go we have one shop abound here that is pretty good from what every or says but there price seems a little high. But I don't mind driving a few hours to have the work done, so that mean I'm looking around Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis or anywhere in between. Also still can't figure what brand of lift to go with but thinking about the BDS lift.

Daniel_M 03-20-2012 03:53 PM

How mechanically inclined are you? Installing a lift on a Jeep is easy depending on skill level. Can be done with a floor jack, stands and hand tools. I would prefer Rock Krawler, Synergy Suspension (Poly Performance), and Teraflex over the BDS.

-Dan

kjeeper10 03-20-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel_M
How mechanically inclined are you? Installing a lift on a Jeep is easy depending on skill level. Can be done with a floor jack, stands and hand tools. I would prefer Rock Krawler, Synergy Suspension (Poly Performance), and Teraflex over the BDS.

-Dan

X2

I know my TERAFLEX instruction PDF is online. Find one and read trough it. Ask questions if you have to. Get a friend and go to town. Really not hard at all.

I was in the same boat as you some time back and glad I did the work myself.

Take the money you saved paying somebody and put it towards other mods/upgrades :thumb:

Towboater 03-20-2012 04:14 PM

Well in not to mechanically inclined, I can do a few things. Another reason I was going to take it somewhere is from what I've been reading in going to have to replace the drive shafts. And not sure how difficult that is.

Daniel_M 03-20-2012 04:22 PM

What lift height do you want? Driveshafts only need replaced when approaching 4" or more.

-Dan

kjeeper10 03-20-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towboater
Well in not to mechanically inclined, I can do a few things. Another reason I was going to take it somewhere is from what I've been reading in going to have to replace the drive shafts. And not sure how difficult that is.

Not if you stay simple and limit to 2.5-3"

Take old parts out and put new ones in. Torque to spec.., done :)

A lot of smart dudes (and gals) on this forum that will help you :cool:

Towboater 03-20-2012 04:31 PM

I am thinking of going anywhere form 4" to 6" just haven't made up my mind on that or on what brand. This is some hard stuff to decide on. I know I want to run at least a 35" tire if not a 37".

kjeeper10 03-20-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

I am thinking of going anywhere form 4" to 6" just haven't made up my mind on that or on what brand. This is some hard stuff to decide on. I know I want to run at least a 35" tire if not a 37".

The water gets deep quick... Just sayin !!

Make sure you know what you are getting into )

Drakea94 03-20-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

I'm looking for a shop to do my lift. I am located in Evansville IN and looking for somewhere to go we have one shop abound here that is pretty good from what every or says but there price seems a little high. But I don't mind driving a few hours to have the work done, so that mean I'm looking around Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis or anywhere in between. Also still can't figure what brand of lift to go with but thinking about the BDS lift.

Tor
4wd drive and a few others .:thumb:

4fit 03-20-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Good grief! 37" and 6" lift. You better learn how to work on that rig yourself! Like Ken said, definitely think about what you are getting into.

Towboater 03-20-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit

Good grief! 37" and 6" lift. You better learn how to work on that rig yourself! Like Ken said, definitely think about what you are getting into.

I know it's probably going to be more then I need for what I'll be doing most the time. But I think I might want the extra in case it's ever needed. I'm pretty new to this stuff. Ive always been into sport bikes and racing but got married and the wife won let me do that now.

jkjeeper06 03-20-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10

The water gets deep quick... Just sayin !!

You will probably be looking at
-2 new driveshafts
-a regear
-cost of lift
-sleeve and gusset at least the front axle if not both
-new wheels and tires
-a new rear bumper with tire carrier or have no spare tire

One alternative would be a 3" lift and flat fenders. Those will hold 37's no problem and it could be more cost effective

4fit 03-20-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

I know it's probably going to be more then I need for what I'll be doing most the time. But I think I might want the extra in case it's ever needed. I'm pretty new to this stuff. Ive always been into sport bikes and racing but got married and the wife won let me do that now.

Well, to properly run something like that, you are looking at TONS of money. All 8 control arms (better yet, go long arm), track bars, hydro assist steering, gears, axle shafts (or go pro rock or dynapro), driveshafts, etc, etc, etc. We are talking into the 30%-40% range of the cost of the Jeep.

Towboater 03-20-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit

Well, to properly run something like that, you are looking at TONS of money. All 8 control arms (better yet, go long arm), track bars, hydro assist steering, gears, axle shafts (or go pro rock or dynapro), driveshafts, etc, etc, etc. We are talking into the 30%-40% range of the cost of the Jeep.

The local shop here said for a 6" bds and doing the drive shafts was going to be around 4000. But I'm starting to think I should stay with a 4"-4.5" lift for now and figure out how to do it all myself then if needed later to go with the 6". Thanks everyone for all the advice.

kbwwolf 03-20-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towboater (Post 2161609)
The local shop here said for a 6" bds and doing the drive shafts was going to be around 4000. But I'm starting to think I should stay with a 4"-4.5" lift for now and figure out how to do it all myself then if needed later to go with the 6". Thanks everyone for all the advice.

:nonono:

kjeeper10 03-20-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf

:nonono:

Took you awhile to show lol

Op "clicky profile" :D