Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JK half doors or kits. Opinions re: aftermarket (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-half-doors-or-kits-opinions-re-aftermarket-147952.html)

Dogface 03-21-2012 05:02 PM

JK half doors or kits. Opinions re: aftermarket

We would likely all love to have a set of OEM half doors but they are way expensive and some require assembly. There seems to be quite a few choices in the after market. Most seem to some kind of hard plastic. Without actually seeing them I'm not gonna buy.

Anyone seen or own aftermarket half doors? Are they worth it...complaints?

Element and Rugged Ridge are two that I recall seeing...dunno about others.

NFRs2000NYC 03-21-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 2165818)
We would likely all love to have a set of OEM half doors but they are way expensive and some require assembly. There seems to be quite a few choices in the after market. Most seem to some kind of hard plastic. Without actually seeing them I'm not gonna buy.

Anyone seen or own aftermarket half doors? Are they worth it...complaints?

Element and Rugged Ridge are two that I recall seeing...dunno about others.

If you want half doors for the "season" then tube doors or something similar would be ideal IMHO. For the off season, with the hardtop, full OEM doors are great. I like kbbwolf's doors. They look badass.

Dogface 03-22-2012 10:30 AM

Thanks for that reply. I've looked at the Q'trac page and don't really care for what they show but I'm sure there are others. I also heard that ACE is going to introduce a set and so far I like what I see/have from them...

MJones 03-22-2012 10:44 AM

I have been looking for a set of OEM half doors on craigslist for quite a while. No luck there.

Tube doors won't do for me either... my JKU is a daily driver and I would probably be hated by my coworkers for taking around investors/clients to lunch in tube doors.

Right now, my plan is to wait on this company called "Strike Force Zebra" to release their new doors. After a few reviews, I will make my decision.
- They appear to be fully molded (one piece) with better hinges and handles than rugged ridge.
- They will also make an upper slider (huge selling point here)

They are in production right now...hitting the shelves sometime soon I believe.

Here is their website: Welcome to Stirke Force Zebra. Creator of the JK Tactical Half Doors

The Rugged Ridge doors have horrible reviews... Bad fit, tough and unsecure latches.

glap1922 03-22-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJones (Post 2168577)
I have been looking for a set of OEM half doors on craigslist for quite a while. No luck there.

Tube doors won't do for me either... my JKU is a daily driver and I would probably be hated by my coworkers for taking around investors/clients to lunch in tube doors.

Right now, my plan is to wait on this company called "Strike Force Zebra" to release their new doors. After a few reviews, I will make my decision.
- They appear to be fully molded (one piece) with better hinges and handles than rugged ridge.
- They will also make an upper slider (huge selling point here)

They are in production right now...hitting the shelves sometime soon I believe.

Here is their website: Welcome to Stirke Force Zebra. Creator of the JK Tactical Half Doors

The Rugged Ridge doors have horrible reviews... Bad fit, tough and unsecure latches.

Those look interesting. I am looking to get a new JK shortly and half-doors was something I definitely wanted, but if something like this is around I might have to change my mind. I'm not sure if it is any cheaper than getting OEM ones though, once you add in uppers it is going to be probably around 1k.

Dogface 03-22-2012 10:55 AM

I was doing some Google searching yesterday and happened to see those. They look like an acceptable alternative but, like you, I'll wait til I see some reviews. I don't have the same problem as you with tube doors unless I have to drive a long ways on a fwy. I did just buy an OEM soft top off CL so I'd like to have more 'real' doors, esp if they accept the top window part.

MJones 03-22-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glap1922 (Post 2168602)
Those look interesting. I am looking to get a new JK shortly and half-doors was something I definitely wanted, but if something like this is around I might have to change my mind. I'm not sure if it is any cheaper than getting OEM ones though, once you add in uppers it is going to be probably around 1k.

They could just be too good to be true and end up like Rugged Ridge's doors. But you are right....they are interesting. We shall see how they turn out.

The owner of the company was on one of the other sites giving a decent pre-order discount last month. His production photos (molds) were impressive.

OEM doors from Jeepsareus and/or other sites run close to $1k per/door without painting. These are <$1k for the pair.

Dogface 03-22-2012 11:09 AM

Yeah, I've looked at that site too..Jeepsrus. I dunno how hard it would be to assemble the doors with all the wiring and small parts. Someone on this forum wrote for help on this. Also have to check my local shop on price to paint. Just love the Mopar doors and uppers. Hard to compromise. The inside of the Strike Force does not excite me all that much..for the price.

MJones 03-22-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 2168641)
Yeah, I've looked at that site too..Jeepsrus. I dunno how hard it would be to assemble the doors with all the wiring and small parts. Someone on this forum wrote for help on this. Also have to check my local shop on price to paint. Just love the Mopar doors and uppers. Hard to compromise. The inside of the Strike Force does not excite me all that much..for the price.

We are definitely on the same page. The OEM's would be the best option for me. I just can't convince myself to fork over nearly $4k for something I don't need out of necessity.

The insides do look a little sketchy...but let's hope the pictures of the pre-fab mock ups were just there for fit rather than looks.

JKatfish 03-22-2012 11:23 AM

I think Qtrac may carry the Mopar OEM doors now. I'm looking at getting just the lowers for now and maybe a vendor will make slider top window soon. I'd use 1/2 doors only with top off and use a cab cover. Of course, we dont get much summer rain here. But I do think OEM looks the best!

Dogface 03-22-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJones (Post 2168661)
We are definitely on the same page. The OEM's would be the best option for me. I just can't convince myself to fork over nearly $4k for something I don't need out of necessity.

The insides do look a little sketchy...but let's hope the pictures of the pre-fab mock ups were just there for fit rather than looks.

Why $4K...are they that much for a JKU ?...does that incl uppers ?
Oh...forgot the paint cost...mebbe so.

glap1922 03-22-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 2168747)
Why $4K...are they that much for a JKU ?...does that incl uppers ?
Oh...forgot the paint cost...mebbe so.

I was thinking the same thing, I know it is only about 2k for a 2dr. Personally I can live with them being black and my jeep being a different color, but unless they turn out to be almost as good as the OEM doors I will just order with 1/2s.

Dogface 03-22-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKatfish (Post 2168686)
I think Qtrac may carry the Mopar OEM doors now. I'm looking at getting just the lowers for now and maybe a vendor will make slider top window soon. I'd use 1/2 doors only with top off and use a cab cover. Of course, we dont get much summer rain here. But I do think OEM looks the best!

They do but you may be able to do better.. Still, they require assembly...not sure how tricky that is. Jeepsrus will offer the same or better price and assemble for more money...maybe worth it...dunno. I wonder if QT will offer assembly for a reasonable price ? I may check local shops to see what they'd charge.

glap1922 03-22-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKatfish (Post 2168686)

Over 1k for a pair with no panel, hindges, uppers, or mirrors. Not painted either, plus you have to assemble.

Dogface 03-22-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glap1922 (Post 2168788)
Over 1k for a pair with no panel, hindges, uppers, or mirrors. Not painted either, plus you have to assemble.

Just found this: Front Half Door Kit - Jeep Wrangler - Item # 82212124, 82212126AB, 82212125AB, 82212131, & 82212132

Incl hinges but no mirrors. Panels are $149/set

glap1922 03-22-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 2168825)

Looks to be about the same as Jeepsareus, but without the option to add on the rest of the stuff. I think this one is like 40-50 bucks cheaper though. Nice to have options at least.

Dogface 03-22-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glap1922 (Post 2168855)
Looks to be about the same as Jeepsareus, but without the option to add on the rest of the stuff. I think this one is like 40-50 bucks cheaper though. Nice to have options at least.

Not sure what the 'rest of the stuff' is that you mention. I think all prices on these are gonna be in the same ball park...

Poneyxpres 03-22-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface

Just found this: Front Half Door Kit - Jeep Wrangler - Item # 82212124, 82212126AB, 82212125AB, 82212131, & 82212132

Incl hinges but no mirrors. Panels are $149/set

$4,734 for a JKU. Doors plus interior panels. Then add paint an mirrors and I'd guess you are close to $6,000. If I could get all this for $2,500 I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm guessing not a lot of these are being sold by anyone.

Dogface 03-22-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poneyxpres (Post 2168896)
$4,734 for a JKU. Doors plus interior panels. Then add paint an mirrors and I'd guess you are close to $6,000. If I could get all this for $2,500 I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm guessing not a lot of these are being sold by anyone.

Wow..at that price I'm sure not many will buy. Never thought it'd be that much :nonono:
My previous post was for front only/two door.

glap1922 03-22-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 2168869)
Not sure what the 'rest of the stuff' is that you mention. I think all prices on these are gonna be in the same ball park...

I just meant mirrors, electronic locks, assembly, that sort of thing. There are just more options. All things you can get elsewhere, but they have it as a 1 stop shop which is nice.

Dogface 03-22-2012 12:32 PM

OK...got it. I have not explored all the options there. Would be nice to have the mirrors at least...hate to have to move mine.

MTH 03-22-2012 12:36 PM

Have the Rugged Ridge ones not reviewed well? Not exactly on the top of my list, but the RRs looked like a future possibility. The Bestop Elements actually seem like a better use of the cost.

Dogface 03-22-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2168956)
Have the Rugged Ridge ones not reviewed well? Not exactly on the top of my list, but the RRs looked like a future possibility. The Bestop Elements actually seem like a better use of the cost.

I think (not sure) that the Bestop Element doors do not have any inside panel..just the tubes. Might be OK with you...? Not me

Hmmm...maybe I'm thinking of RR doors ?

MTH 03-22-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogface (Post 2168974)
I think (not sure) that the Bestop Element doors do not have any inside panel..just the tubes. Might be OK with you...? Not me

Correct. My understanding is they're basically a "shield" of sorts that just sit over the tube doors. Q-tec has a good interactive web app with them here. They'd be good for me, but if I could get "real" half doors for that price . . . .

MJones 03-22-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2168956)

From some reports, I hear that the RR doors are two pieces (maybe more) glued together. The fit is probably the biggest complaint I have seen. They also have pretty shabby latches/handles. With that being said, they give a more OEM style finished look from the exterior than other after market options.

Bestop Elements are great from what I hear. However, this is simply a tube door with a hard skin on the exterior. The interior still looks like a tube door.

IMO, the Rugged Ridge and Strike Force Zebra doors are for those of us who are
1. Looking for a true OEM half door look/fit
2. Also looking for a full enclosure as opposed to tubes with skins

Dogface 03-22-2012 05:18 PM

Just came back from my body shop. They quoted $500 for paint and assembly...about $320 for paint only... Sure is adding up....but I could live with black for a while

cheap4tw 03-22-2012 06:55 PM

The more I see pictures of half doors the more I want a set, but the MOPAR prices definitely are hefty.

Hopefully the ACE doors turn out well.

Dogface 03-22-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheap4tw (Post 2170125)
The more I see pictures of half doors the more I want a set, but the MOPAR prices definitely are hefty.

Hopefully the ACE doors turn out well.

I dunno if ACE is making doors or just tube doors.. Do you have any info at all on them ?

Vin 03-22-2012 09:51 PM

I went with Mopar. I even got to use my Power Door locks in them. The only thing I'm missing out on when I switch is the power windows.

CMEvans79 03-22-2012 10:06 PM

Do we know how soon the "Strike Force Zebra" doors are going to come out? I'm planning on moving my mirrors anyway and I don't have the LUXURY of having electric windows:whistling: so that set up would work great for getting something in a half door that looks half way decent. $650 compared to 1K+ ...