Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Centering the front axle Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/centering-the-front-axle-questions-14801.html)

4point 01-15-2008 02:50 PM

Centering the front axle Questions
 
I bought a new adj track bar and drop bracket and I have a few questions. I know when a jeep is brand new it's axle is not centered, all 4WD's are offset front/rear. I did a poor mans (don't ask) relocate on it a couple of months back and centered it. When I did this it seem to pre load the axle to one side.
1. Does anyone know what the offset is? (maybe measure your factory TJ)
2. Or, does the even offset matter?
3. Is exact center OK?
4. Do you think its OK to drive with my new drop bracket only bolted, so I can drive to my welders house to finish the job.

Thanks
Rob

1BLKJP 01-15-2008 05:00 PM

Mine set dead center. No issues at all and it hasn't been a problem on the bushing or the heim on my Trac Bar. Old RE setup was also set dead center. I ran my RE drop bracket bolted in the entire time. Now my RK bracket is welded in. It would be a good idea if you at least drilled one of the additional holes for the bolts and not just drive it with the bolt that goes thru the factory hole.

4point 01-15-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 182392)
Mine set dead center. No issues at all and it hasn't been a problem on the bushing or the heim on my Trac Bar. Old RE setup was also set dead center. I ran my RE drop bracket bolted in the entire time. Now my RK bracket is welded in. It would be a good idea if you at least drilled one of the additional holes for the bolts and not just drive it with the bolt that goes thru the factory hole.

I got the RK, I was thinking of drilling both holes at the frame. Do you think this will weaken the frame? Or, will all be OK after welding?

1BLKJP 01-15-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 182393)
I got the RK, I was thinking of drilling both holes at the frame. Do you think this will weaken the frame? Or, will all be OK after welding?

No it will be fine doing it that way. I was just trying to save you some work if all you need to do is drive it a short distance to be welded. I drilled my frame for my old RE Bracket and we just covered it up when we put the new RK bracket in and welded it.

4point 01-15-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BLKJP (Post 182395)
No it will be fine doing it that way. I was just trying to save you some work if all you need to do is drive it a short distance to be welded. I drilled my frame for my old RE Bracket and we just covered it up when we put the new RK bracket in and welded it.

Thanks Jack, I've got about 40-45 min of mountain (lost of curves) driving to get there and I don't want to chance it being loose.

1BLKJP 01-15-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 182396)
Thanks Jack, I've got about 40-45 min of mountain (lost of curves) driving to get there and I don't want to chance it being loose.

In that case. Drill'em both and bolt it in tight. :D

4.0l sahara 01-15-2008 05:38 PM

Ya I would set it dead center.:p

Jerry Bransford 01-15-2008 11:53 PM

My best advice is to ignore all future comments/advice from the individual who told you it is normal for Jeep axles to be off-center. :p


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.