Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Weird popping noise in front suspension (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/weird-popping-noise-in-front-suspension-148126.html)

Rooster454 03-22-2012 12:19 PM

Weird popping noise in front suspension
 
I just noticed this last night. It happens almost every time I start from a dead stop, the more abruptly I start off the line the more I'm guaranteed it will happen. I installed the TF 2.5" coil lift with shock adapters 3 weeks ago this saturday. I've put a little over 500 miles on the Jeep since the lift so everything should have settled by now and I've retorqued and checked all bolts twice. The springs look to be seated well and everything is attached and tight.

I don't know if this has been happening the whole time or if it just started. I can feel the pop a little bit when starting from a stand still and it doesn't happen unless the weigh shifts to the back axle abruptly. If I start real slow and gentle off the line it doesn't happen. I think it's on the driver's side, but am not 100% sure. I had an alignment done at my local dealership after the lift as I couldn't get the steering back to perfect and the tech said everything looked good.

Any advice or things to check would be much appreciated as I am a little paranoid about what might be happening.

4fit 03-22-2012 12:29 PM

I would lie under the jeep and have someone yank up on the front. See if you can spot anything shifting around. I know you said you retorqued everything, but I would make double sure you get the trackbar tight (125 ft lbs).

Rooster454 03-22-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2168929)
I would lie under the jeep and have someone yank up on the front. See if you can spot anything shifting around. I know you said you retorqued everything, but I would make double sure you get the trackbar tight (125 ft lbs).

ok will do. Thanks for the input.

The tech that did my alignment said that my track bar front and back were a tiny bit loose but that he tightened them back to spec, but I will be sure to check again.
Thanks

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 12:36 PM

Get yourself a paint marker and mark a line across the bolt/nut and mount.
Good visual but 125 ft lbs is a lot and should not loosen unless they were not torqued to spec to start.

Were all the CA bolts loosened when the lift was installed?
Maybe possible a bushing is binding?

Rooster454 03-22-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2168953)
Get yourself a paint marker and mark a line across the bolt/nut and mount.
Good visual but 125 ft lbs is a lot and should not loosen unless they were not torqued to spec to start.

Were all the CA bolts loosened when the lift was installed?
Maybe possible a bushing is binding?

will do sir. Thanks for the idea.

The CA bolts were loosened for the lift. I couldn't get them to budge for a while and finally was able to get them to break loose. I checked them when I retorqued everything but will check them again today.
Thanks

4fit 03-22-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2168953)
Were all the CA bolts loosened when the lift was installed?
Maybe possible a bushing is binding?

Was just coming back to this thread to post that. lol

OP, while your Jeep is on the ground, loosen all of your control arm bolts and track bar bolts. Then give the Jeep a good shake front to back, and side to side. This will allow the bushings to move around and get to where they need to be. Now head back under there and retorque everything to spec. All of the torque specs can be found here.

Rooster454 03-22-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2168987)
Was just coming back to this thread to post that. lol

OP, while your Jeep is on the ground, loosen all of your control arm bolts and track bar bolts. Then give the Jeep a good shake front to back, and side to side. This will allow the bushings to move around and get to where they need to be. Now head back under there and retorque everything to spec. All of the torque specs can be found here.

Awesome. Thanks for this and the link. I'll be doing this when I get home from work and hoping it will take care of everything.

Thanks again guys for yall's input

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 01:19 PM

Keep us posted :)

pluke the 2 03-22-2012 01:21 PM

TRACKBAR....the hole is hallowed out.

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2
TRACKBAR....the hole is hallowed out.

On a 2012?

Rooster454 03-22-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2169105)
Keep us posted :)

Will do sir

Rooster454 03-22-2012 08:45 PM

So I loosened the front and rear CA bolts, the rear track bar, but was unable to get the front track bar bolts to budge at all. The tech put them on there TIGHT. I did the whole shakedown thing and re-torqued everything back to spec.

I think it made the situation worse. It definitely has not gotten any better.

Please help. Should I go back to the dealer and get them to look at it? I hate to spend some of my tire money on another trip to the dealership tho :D

ESP 03-22-2012 08:51 PM

Can you video the noise for us? Is it possible to record it so we can hear it/see it?

4fit 03-22-2012 08:52 PM

Absolutely shouldn't have gotten worse. Have you laid under the Jeep while someone rocked it back and forth to see if anything is moving that shouldn't be?

ESP 03-22-2012 08:53 PM

Also since this seems to only happen when you begin from a stopping point, are the sway links mounted correctly and not making contact with any thing moving "wheel"?

Rooster454 03-22-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2170690)
Absolutely shouldn't have gotten worse. Have you laid under the Jeep while someone rocked it back and forth to see if anything is moving that shouldn't be?

yes sir. I even stood up on my bumper and jumped up and down and it didn't do it. My brother lifted up on it real hard a couple times and nothing happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 2170698)
Also since this seems to only happen when you begin from a stopping point, are the sway links mounted correctly and not making contact with any thing moving "wheel"?

I don't think so. I mounted them exactly like the teraflex instructions state and I have spydertrax wheel spacer since I'm still running stock shoes for the time being

Rooster454 03-22-2012 09:00 PM

No matter what we try it won't duplicate unless driving. It seems like the major weight transfer from front to back is what makes it happen

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 09:20 PM

I don't like how you were not able to loosen the Tracbar.

4fit 03-22-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I don't like how you were not able to loosen the Tracbar.

Me either. Wonder if it is bound or even cross-threaded. Did you try to use a breaker bar on it?

Rooster454 03-22-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2170818)
I don't like how you were not able to loosen the Tracbar.

Man I gave it everything I had. Nothing like a straining session in a tight and awkward spot to get the blood flowing

You think it could be the trackbar is too tight?

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit

Me either. Wonder if it is bound or even cross-threaded. Did you try to use a breaker bar on it?

125 is a lot but, not that that hard to loosen using a breaker bar.

Rooster454 03-22-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2170830)
Me either. Wonder if it is bound or even cross-threaded. Did you try to use a breaker bar on it?

I did. I tried everything but it's such a small awkward spot to be in that I wasn't able to get it to budge. The tech did tell me he was going to tighten them up good for me. Maybe he went overboard

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster454

I did. I tried everything but it's such a small awkward spot to be in that I wasn't able to get it to budge. The tech did tell me he was going to tighten them up good for me. Maybe he went overboard

You said you got to all the other bushings correct?

Rooster454 03-22-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2170851)
You said you got to all the other bushings correct?

Yes. I got everything nice and loose and shook and rocked the hell out of the jeep. Everything looked good and torqued back to spec now.

You think I should do the whole process again if I can get the front t-bar loose?

4fit 03-22-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster454

I did. I tried everything but it's such a small awkward spot to be in that I wasn't able to get it to budge. The tech did tell me he was going to tighten them up good for me. Maybe he went overboard

You could always jack the Jeep up to give you a little more room to work with. Once they are all loose, then set the Jeep back down and go through the process.

pluke the 2 03-22-2012 09:30 PM

one of the few bolts are either hallowed out or you got a loose nut/bolt.

if you live in cali you can bring it by the shop and ill take a look for ya

Rooster454 03-22-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4fit (Post 2170858)
You could always jack the Jeep up to give you a little more room to work with. Once they are all loose, then set the Jeep back down and go through the process.

Yeah I'll try that. I should have done that to begin with, but going by how tight the nuts are on there I didn't think I'd be able to get them to budge

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluke the 2 (Post 2170859)
one of the few bolts are either hallowed out or you got a loose nut/bolt.

if you live in cali you can bring it by the shop and ill take a look for ya

I appreciate the offer, but I live in Virginia

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 09:38 PM

Upper shock mounts?

Rooster454 03-22-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 2170908)
Upper shock mounts?

upper and lower, front and rear were the first things I checked actually. I have the kit with adaptors so I was afraid maybe they were loose, but they were good

kjeeper10 03-22-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster454

upper and lower, front and rear were the first things I checked actually. I have the kit with adaptors so I was afraid maybe they were loose, but they were good

Ummmmm. We....... Must ....... Fix....... Roosters jeep before bed tonight :D

What if you were to get the jeep on jack stands under the frame. Then raise and lower the axle (s) with the jack under the pumpkin?
Full up and down motion of the suspension components. Just shaking or jumping on the bumper would not do so ???

Whatcha all think ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.