Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Lift Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/lift-questions-14813.html)

joe_yj_1992 01-15-2008 10:31 PM

Lift Questions
 
I am looking into lifting my 92, bone stock YJ. I am looking into a 4 inch Rubicon Express. My question is, what hidden upgrades are going to show up. Like having to install a slip yoke eliminator kit, or having to have custom drive shafts built. Any help or advice would be great, and if you know of a better lift, please let me know. By the way, this is my first of many post. Thanks again.

protron 01-16-2008 01:20 AM

im looking to get the 4.5 lift from rubicon express plus a 1" body lift to fit 35's also was thinking about the 2" shackle lift for even more tire clearance.

i didnt get into too much depth of reading, but i read you need to do something with stearing arms and emergency/regualer break lines for lifts 4+. if anyone knows what to do with a 4"+ lift speak now!

Odd is he 01-16-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_yj_1992 (Post 182564)
I am looking into lifting my 92, bone stock YJ. I am looking into a 4 inch Rubicon Express. My question is, what hidden upgrades are going to show up. Like having to install a slip yoke eliminator kit, or having to have custom drive shafts built. Any help or advice would be great, and if you know of a better lift, please let me know. By the way, this is my first of many post. Thanks again.

Your differentials will be a "hidden cost" if you wheel your jeep hard and have bigger than 33" tires...... I have 35"s and my dana Turdy5 is ready to blow up... again :flipoff:

whiteyj 01-16-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_yj_1992 (Post 182564)
I am looking into lifting my 92, bone stock YJ. I am looking into a 4 inch Rubicon Express. My question is, what hidden upgrades are going to show up. Like having to install a slip yoke eliminator kit, or having to have custom drive shafts built. Any help or advice would be great, and if you know of a better lift, please let me know. By the way, this is my first of many post. Thanks again.

As you noted, a SYE and rear driveline replacement. I didn't care for their brake line extensions in my 2-1/2" RE kit so I swapped out to braided SS flex lines. Bump stop extensions. As I remember, the RE kit was pretty complete (one of the selling points).

I'll be curious to hear how you like it. I am consiodering the 4" kit and 33's in my future.

fly's~yj 01-16-2008 10:18 AM

do you have a six or a four cyl? do you have plans for a winch, i suggest the re 4.5..my standard 4"re is sagging in the front with a 6 and a winch..ss brake lines are a good investment, of course an sye..then think about up-grading your axels..if you are going from stock to a 33" tire, you will want to re-gear and think about harder bigger axels in the rear.

joe_yj_1992 01-16-2008 10:42 AM

I think that I am going to run 31's. My jeep is a 6 cyl hard top. No winch as of now. If you google rubicon express there is a posting with lots of pictures of before and after as he did the lift. Jeep looked good with 31's and a 4" lift. I dont wheel hard, just trail ridding with my young kid and hunting. At this point I dont want to get crazy with the build, but later down the road I can see 35's or 36's, dyna 44 fornt and rear and all the goodies. Ill look for the web site I found.

joe_yj_1992 01-16-2008 10:45 AM

It was the 4.5 RE lift, great write up though. Check it out. Here is the link.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...reme/index.htm

fly's~yj 01-16-2008 11:03 AM

if you only want to run a 31" tire..a 2.5" lift is all you need and it will save you a bundle on drive lines and t-case up-grades..and -in my opinion- 4" of lift and 31's look funny~fly

joe_yj_1992 01-16-2008 11:14 AM

i thought about going with a 2.5'' lift. I guess there is no use going with a 4'' if later down the road I plan on going extreme with it. Save my money and start collecting parts. I know where a fully built Dyna 35, with all the good stuff, for 300 bucks.

fly's~yj 01-16-2008 11:22 AM

i think that is a better choice..and i decided to "build" my d35..31 spline axels and an arb, rather than go for the 8.8 and so far so good (knock on wood), but i have and do 'wheel the snot out of it" besides, if you are planning an 'extreme' type of change in the future..you can re-use the 2.5, by going spring over..so buying a 'good' set of springs might be better than a 'budget' set..so you can have the best of both for the buck~

crafty 01-16-2008 07:41 PM

93 YJ with a 4.0 stick shift contributing here. If you stick with 31's your gearing is fine, I you go to a 33 your gears will do but you hurt your top end. For example interstate and incline at highway speeds you will be using 4th gear many times. Go someplace with alot of jeeps, events should be coming up and see what you like. You are throwing money away if you do the 2" and go for the 4" six months down the road. Just my opinion.

If you are patient start gathering parts and do the build you really want the first time, whatever it might be.

joe_yj_1992 01-16-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty (Post 182973)
93 YJ with a 4.0 stick shift contributing here. If you stick with 31's your gearing is fine, I you go to a 33 your gears will do but you hurt your top end. For example interstate and incline at highway speeds you will be using 4th gear many times. Go someplace with alot of jeeps, events should be coming up and see what you like. You are throwing money away if you do the 2" and go for the 4" six months down the road. Just my opinion.

If you are patient start gathering parts and do the build you really want the first time, whatever it might be.

I hear ya on collecting parts to do my build. I knew if I went with 33's I would have to re-gear to push it down the road with out having to "row the boat" all the time.

vfrpilot 01-17-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly's~yj (Post 182726)
..and -in my opinion- 4" of lift and 31's look funny~fly

4" of lift & 31's:cool:
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...gnlerain-1.jpg

fly's~yj 01-18-2008 12:21 AM

ok i take that back~fly

Hubdeep 01-18-2008 04:42 PM

4.5" RE X-Duty truly is the way to go.

But as mentioned before: Drop Pitman arm, Brake line extensions, SYE, Shims, Maybe even a drop transfer case kit will be the 'hidden' costs.

fly's~yj 01-18-2008 07:12 PM

the re 4.5 x kit comes with the drop pit, brake line ex, shims and t-case drop~..personaly, i went with ss brake lines and didn't bother with the extensions~fly

Happy_Jeeper 01-22-2008 09:50 PM

I'm still running with 30's, so from what it seems, for my occasional wheelin
and hunt season, a 2.5" lift should be good enough right? my leafs are starting
to look a little flat.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.