Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Response from chrysler.com on paint/order deadline. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/response-from-chrysler-com-on-paint-order-deadline-148335.html)

Jakob101st 03-23-2012 09:16 AM

Response from chrysler.com on paint/order deadline.
 
I've been hoping Sahara Tan would reappear before the order deadline and wasn't positive on the deadline for ordering a 2012 Wrangler so I emailed customer support. Below is their response.

"According to our provided resources, the last month to place an order on the 2012 Jeep Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited models is May, 2012. Please be advised, as of late-July 2011, the ability to factory order the Sahara Tan exterior paint color on the 2012 Jeep Wrangler models was removed from the ordering system due to an early build out of paint." -chrysler.com

So it looks like I'm going to have to give up on ordering a 2012 in Sahara tan. My options now are:

Find a 2012 on a lot without the exact options I want OR
Order a 2012 with my exact option in Winter Chill OR
Wait for 2013 (hope for Sahara Tan) and go to Colorado in my Chevy Truck this summer. :nonono:

slpnbyu 03-23-2012 09:23 AM

Don't hold your breath for your second option, order Winter Chill. The option to order Winter Chill closed in early March (3/6 I think).

Red Sahara 03-23-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakob101st (Post 2172352)
I've been hoping Sahara Tan would reappear before the order deadline and wasn't positive on the deadline for ordering a 2012 Wrangler so I emailed customer support. Below is their response.

"According to our provided resources, the last month to place an order on the 2012 Jeep Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited models is May, 2012. Please be advised, as of late-July 2011, the ability to factory order the Sahara Tan exterior paint color on the 2012 Jeep Wrangler models was removed from the ordering system due to an early build out of paint." -chrysler.com

So it looks like I'm going to have to give up on ordering a 2012 in Sahara tan. My options now are:

Find a 2012 on a lot without the exact options I want OR
Order a 2012 with my exact option in Winter Chill OR
Wait for 2013 (hope for Sahara Tan) and go to Colorado in my Chevy Truck this summer. :nonono:

Find a 2012 on the lot - that is what I did. Of course, I wasn't dead set on one color.

GeckoJK 03-23-2012 09:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Sahara Tan, Cosmic Blue and Winter Chill are done. They are not coming back. I doubt there are too many Sahara tans left on the lot new, they stopped making that color awhile ago now. You'll probably have a very limited selection to pick from, making it hard to get the options you wanted. I'd either pick from the remaining 2012 colors or wait for 2013.

ORNGCR8 03-23-2012 09:43 AM

^^this. Sahara Tan is done my friend, just like my personal favorite from 2011, Mango Tango Orange. I'm SO glad I got the Mango because it's more of a burnt orange instead of Crush which is more yellow-orange.

Do you have another favorite color choice? Personally, I also liked the Deep Forest Green color on Jeeps.

Jakob101st 03-23-2012 09:45 AM

Well that's disappointing. The local dealer didn't even mention Winter Chill not being an option any longer. I've been pretty disappointed with my local dealership knowledge anyway but good grief. I would hate to think that I'd be waiting until this winter for a 2013, ouch.

I should have started this process last spring I guess. :banghead:

kbwwolf 03-23-2012 09:47 AM

If you wait on a specific color (especially one of the skittles hues) you'll grow old, die, and your bones will be bleached by the sun.

Pick from what they got. :thumb:

MTH 03-23-2012 10:30 AM

Wrangler's are famously difficult to get colors on. Colors are only orderable for short periods of time, they change year-to-year, etc. I ended up with a deep water blue 2010 and only afterwards learned that the color hadn't been offered before, hasn't been offered since, and was only orderable for a brief window in 2010. I get asked about it quite a bit.

There's no guarantee Sahara tan will even be offered next year. Mango tango, deep water blue, charcoal grey, rescue green, and other desirable colors have all only made brief one or two year appearances and are now gone without any word on whether they'll be offered again.

Those buyers who are "in the know" will scrupulously track when order dates for their preferred color will open and then order immediately. The forum ends up with whole threads dedicated to folks waiting to order and then waiting to receive their chosen color.

Unless you're among that group, you're better off being flexible on either color or options so you can more easily buy off the lot. Keep in mind you can add almost anything to a wrangler aftermarket, but you're probably not going to want to repaint it.

Jakob101st 03-23-2012 10:32 AM

My issue is that spending this kind of cash on a car is a huge deal. I can afford it but I can't see paying around $30k for something that every time I look at it I'll regret it not being different.

I guess I could just have the body repainted but I'm not sure those paint jobs are as good as factory.

kbwwolf 03-23-2012 10:35 AM

This is different. But only till the orders are filled.

Want to see Gecko? Wow!

MTH 03-23-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakob101st (Post 2172575)
My issue is that spending this kind of cash on a car is a huge deal. I can afford it but I can't see paying around $30k for something that every time I look at it I'll regret it not being different.

I guess I could just have the body repainted but I'm not sure those paint jobs are as good as factory.

Of course, the practical response to this is simply, "too bad." This is how Jeep manages the colors for the Wrangler, they've decided it works for them, and there's nothing you can do about it. "It is what it is."

My two cents is that I would ask a dealer to find you every Sahara tan and Winter Chill in the country. Get the stats on all of them. Pick the one that's closest to the option profile you want, though be prepared to accept some signifcant compromises and likewise be prepared to spend some money aftermarket to tailor the jeep more closely to your ideal options. Also make sure you join TreadLightly so you can get in on their pricing program, since otherwise you're likely to pay a heck of a premium to get the jeep from a dealer out in Utah or some such thing.

Alternatively, I'd take a long, hard look at the colors currently available and start pretending Sahara tan and Winter Chill never existed. What's your next choice? Surely it's not the case that a paint color is the only thing that draws you to Wranglers--would you not be looking at Wranglers right now if Sahara tan and Winter Chill had never been offered in the first place?

Up to you.

GonzoBobH 03-23-2012 11:10 AM

Two words to consider: Gecko Pearl :dance:

http://cdn.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1332386176 :punk:

RedBones 03-23-2012 11:19 AM

I had to drive a hour away to get tan six months ago.

Attachment 107409

Jakob101st 03-23-2012 11:34 AM

MTH, fair advice and yes this is really a "1st world problem", lucky to have a job, be able to buy one in the first place kind of thing. Just thought this would be a safe place to vent silly issues.

Obviously the color isn't the only draw but paying 30K for a color I'm not happy with is silly. I grew up with CJ5s and CJ7s. I'm tied into jeeps for a million reasons.

It looks like I'll be looking for one on the lot and not worrying about the options that I can do something with aftermarket which isn't anything that bad.

Oh and I did join TL.

MTH 03-23-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakob101st (Post 2172771)
MTH, fair advice and yes this is really a "1st world problem", lucky to have a job, be able to buy one in the first place kind of thing. Just thought this would be a safe place to vent silly issues.

Obviously the color isn't the only draw but paying 30K for a color I'm not happy with is silly. I grew up with CJ5s and CJ7s. I'm tied into jeeps for a million reasons.

It looks like I'll be looking for one on the lot and not worrying about the options that I can do something with aftermarket which isn't anything that bad.

Oh and I did join TL.

Now there's a plan that works. I think if you broaden it out to Sahara Tan and Winter Chill, you'll have a reasonable shot at getting something close to what you're looking for. More so if you can add perhaps one more color.

If you're a jeeper, then you've got a good sense of what can be done aftermarket. I'd focus on transmission, color (interior/exterior), doors (half/full), and power features (windows, AC, locks) first. Then top (hard color match/hard black/soft) and fenders (body color/black) second. Everything else--wheels, tires, gearing, limited slip differential, audio, navigation, towing, side steps, etc.--is pretty routinely modded after the fact.

Just my http://www.jk-forum.com/images/smilies/twocents.gif

daggo66 03-23-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2172566)
Wrangler's are famously difficult to get colors on. Colors are only orderable for short periods of time, they change year-to-year, etc. I ended up with a deep water blue 2010 and only afterwards learned that the color hadn't been offered before, hasn't been offered since, and was only orderable for a brief window in 2010. I get asked about it quite a bit.

There's no guarantee Sahara tan will even be offered next year. Mango tango, deep water blue, charcoal grey, rescue green, and other desirable colors have all only made brief one or two year appearances and are now gone without any word on whether they'll be offered again.

Those buyers who are "in the know" will scrupulously track when order dates for their preferred color will open and then order immediately. The forum ends up with whole threads dedicated to folks waiting to order and then waiting to receive their chosen color.

Unless you're among that group, you're better off being flexible on either color or options so you can more easily buy off the lot. Keep in mind you can add almost anything to a wrangler aftermarket, but you're probably not going to want to repaint it.

I'm pretty sure that Deep Water Blue was around in 09.

ESP 03-23-2012 12:52 PM

First wrangler I test drove was a 2010 rescue green. Really liked that color in hindsight.

craymond 03-23-2012 12:56 PM

Depending on what options you're looking for you should be able to find Winter Chill on dealer lots in mid April - early May.

MTH 03-23-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 2172997)
I'm pretty sure that Deep Water Blue was around in 09.

Indeed - Deep Water Blue Pearl - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4x4 - Dark Slate Gray/Medium Slate Gray Interior | GTcarlot.com - Vehicle Archive #5511950

Wasn't Mango Tango also given a two year run? Might've been.

cmg427 03-23-2012 03:14 PM

You wont have to wait until winter to get a 13'. Im pretty sure I seen that they start taking order in June and we should see them on dealers lots probably in August just like the 12'. Wait to see whats being offered and then you can decide to either wait on the 13' or take your pick of the 12's that are still available.

neekidoodle 03-23-2012 03:20 PM

I ordered my 12 this Feb and it just came in last week, I had a choice of winter chill and the Sahara tan, but went with silver. The tan is a terrible color, winter chill is not bad.

44Blues 03-23-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmg427 (Post 2173547)
You wont have to wait until winter to get a 13'. Im pretty sure I seen that they start taking order in June and we should see them on dealers lots probably in August just like the 12'. Wait to see whats being offered and then you can decide to either wait on the 13' or take your pick of the 12's that are still available.

Wait for a '13

positrak 03-23-2012 04:48 PM

Takes under 90 seconds to search, less time than to contact your dealer

Find Your Car: New Jeep Wrangler Listings Near Young America, MN 55555 - AutoTrader.com

I plugged in any zip code, any distance from it, 38 brand new 2012 Tan Wranglers. Plug in your zip code, do an advance search which includes the options, and research. Be aware re-doing the search resets the model year. Reading some of the ads, from the dealers, they're desperate to sell. Cut a quick deal, you'll have it in a week where ever you find one.

Jakob101st 03-23-2012 09:50 PM

Well I feel like a dope. I searched autotrader and came up with nothing only 6 days ago. I must have not done my search criteria correctly. Thanks positrak. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jakob101st 04-04-2012 09:59 AM

Update...
 
Update: Missed a Sahara Tan Unlimited Sahara by 1 day. What really stinks is that it was only 2 hours away. :facepalm:

Then missed another in VA by two days. :nonono: So I went to look for winter chill and my preferred options. Found a few that were close and have one on the hook still but with it being so close to the 2013 order date I may just tough it out.

I've sold my truck and Harley in preparation of getting a jeep so it may be a LOOOONG summer for me while I wait out the deadlines.

Now I'm thinking that without the truck and harley payments, upkeep, gas and insurance I can sock away enough money to afford an Unlimited Rubi with all the options I want and just be done with the searching and settling. My only risk is that they will only offer the basic colors next year. And of course there is the waiting.

From what I can gather:
  • Last day to order a 2012 is either 5/2/12 or 4/27/12 depending on the source.
  • 2013 prices will climb about $700 across the board. Options?
  • Orders open for 2013 on 6/6/12
  • Production for 2013 starts 7/23/12
  • Earliest pickup date for 2013 is 9/15/12
btw: the responses from wranglerforum.com are far and away better than the other two jeep/jk forums out there.

btw2: it's also been painfully obvious after dealing with several dealers in my state that salesmen are ill informed about their own products. They often contact me saying things like "we can order Winter Chill" or "if you are towing you want the standard 3.21 axle ratio". It's really crazy. Had one Sales Manager tell me it's been great working with me because they've learned so much about their product, lol.

snikt 04-04-2012 10:03 AM

Can't imagine it would be hard to find? Cosmos Blue ordering ended 10/7 but I bought one like 2-3 weeks ago 10 miles away. There was another one like 15-20 miles away also.

The Tan ended ordering 7/20, it's older but I would think if I found 2 within 15 miles maybe you can find 1 or 2 within 100-200 miles?

snikt 04-04-2012 10:06 AM

Yep I was right, 32 miles away

Sahara Tan Sport

2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport For Sale | Boulder CO .

snikt 04-04-2012 10:09 AM

Looks like there is 14 Wrangler Tans in the US

14 New Jeep Wranglers within 100000 Miles of 80120

and 9 Unlimited Tans

9 New Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds within 100000 Miles of 80120

You might have to drive or have one shipped, but they are still out there

Jakob101st 04-04-2012 01:41 PM

The first one is a 2011 and and not an Unlimited, I'm looking for 2012. But thanks. I find them on the web but when I call the dealer they are sold. There are 2 in New Orleans also and another in St. Louis, all three are sold but they keep them posted.

I have 3 local dealers looking for me also. I can find the Winter Chills but it's $1,000 plus to ship it or I'll have to take a 12 to 18 hour road trip, not that it's bad but the with the 2013s looming I may just suck it up.

Funny, I'm waiting to hear back on a Winter Chill from that same Boulder Dealership.

snikt 04-04-2012 01:42 PM

Oh, whoops. On the ones I searched through the country though I did select 2012, didn't realize there was still new 2011s on the lots


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.