Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   death wobble. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/death-wobble-148642.html)

chopperbobby 03-24-2012 04:23 PM

death wobble.
 
just installed 2" bds coil lift. dw anything over 60mph. Going through dw thread above to start figuring it out. Not fun when you hit 70 and it goes.

Re touk bolts 2x had aligned.:banghead:

kbwwolf 03-24-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopperbobby (Post 2177205)
just installed 2" bds coil lift. dw anything over 60mph. Going through dw thread above to start figuring it out. Not fun when you hit 70 and it goes.

Re touk bolts 2x had aligned.:banghead:

After you installed your lift, did you torque TB's and CA's with Jeep on the ground? Pretty sure you know that, but gotta ask. Torque everything with your Jeep sitting on it's own weight.

Also, we talking REAL DW, which is severe enough that you have to stop the Jeep completely? Slowing down won't make real DW go away...

chopperbobby 03-24-2012 04:40 PM

Yes i did on the ground.

Have to come to stop on side of road and take off again. if I keep it at 55 and not hit too big of a pot hole it is ok.:facepalm:

pkmcd99 03-24-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopperbobby
Yes i did on the ground.

Have to come to stop on side of road and take off again. if I keep it at 55 and not hit too big of a pot hole it is ok.:facepalm:

Your experiencing a type of bump steer, not death wobble. Similar but alot more mild. Sounds like the spring rate could be too soft, or the back isnt lifted enough to compensate the overall front height change. Is this a kit you bought, or an invent a lift with different components from different brands etc..

chopperbobby 03-24-2012 07:45 PM

2 inch bds coil sping with rear relocation bracket so kit

sneck 03-24-2012 08:16 PM

I would measure your axles, and make sure they are centered. I know some folks will disagree, but I know when I did my 2" lift, it was fine without adjustable the axles. I ran into trouble once I put an adjustable track bar on the front, and a trackbar bracket at the rear. Didn't center the axles properly, and let to some wicked death wobble on the highway.

I was wicked hungover, and forced to remove the trackbar bracket on the side of the highway. Limped home, installed an adjustable rear track bar, did some proper measurements, and all was right in the world again

chopperbobby 03-25-2012 06:35 AM

thanks

tiger3 03-25-2012 06:44 AM

Check your tire balance weights. I had knocked one of mine off wheeling and when I hit bumps at high speeds I had the dreaded wobble. When checking everything noticed the tire weight missing on my right front tire. Put spare on and it was fixed but still loose. I re-tourqued everything and all seems to be fine now. I will now check things more regularly for sure.

AZ Buffalo 03-25-2012 06:59 AM

Same thing happened to me. Im waiting for my JKS Steering Stabilizer kit, Adjustable trackbar and some new Poly bushings for my Lower Control Arms. All of this should fix my issue.... I hope, DW is scary at 70+mph, I actually dont even like thinking about it..lol

kbwwolf 03-25-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Buffalo (Post 2179019)
Same thing happened to me. Im waiting for my JKS Steering Stabilizer kit, Adjustable trackbar and some new Poly bushings for my Lower Control Arms. All of this should fix my issue.... I hope, DW is scary at 70+mph, I actually dont even like thinking about it..lol

C'mon man, it's like going to Disney on Mickey's dime! :D

AZ Buffalo 03-25-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbwwolf

C'mon man, it's like going to Disney on Mickey's dime! :D

Lol

Jurhip 03-25-2012 10:46 AM

A lot has been written on this subject - you should be able to track down your source.

That said, a lot of people believe a steering stabilizer is not needed. It is. A SFA is an inherently unstable design. Anything can start a feedback loop. Loose trackbar, ball joints, wheel inbalance, a bump. A steering stabilizer is the only thing acting to ensure this feedback loop is critically damped.

So, check everything that has been written. Ensure you are mechanically sound to minimize the mechanical forcing functions into this system. Then, ensure your steering stabilizer is good so that the remaining forces are damped out before they result in part degradation.

chopperbobby 03-25-2012 11:22 AM

I can go 70 and its fine. as soon as I hit a bump, pot hole or bouncy road it goes. a transition like over a bridge is ok.

Jurhip 03-25-2012 11:46 AM

In my last post I stated anything can start a feedback loop.
Technically, I should have written that any number of things can force the system to hit a natural resonance. The steering stabilizer if the only thing that is specifically designed to dampen this so it doesn't become unstable.

The natural resonant frequency of the system will vary depending on many things. Stiffness of tires, suspension components/brackets/frame rails, gearing, tightness of suspenion, ride height etc... No two vehicles will be the same.

kbwwolf 03-25-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurhip (Post 2179578)
A lot has been written on this subject - you should be able to track down your source.

That said, a lot of people believe a steering stabilizer is not needed. It is. A SFA is an inherently unstable design. Anything can start a feedback loop. Loose trackbar, ball joints, wheel inbalance, a bump. A steering stabilizer is the only thing acting to ensure this feedback loop is critically damped.

So, check everything that has been written. Ensure you are mechanically sound to minimize the mechanical forcing functions into this system. Then, ensure your steering stabilizer is good so that the remaining forces are damped out before they result in part degradation.

I agree that you shouldn't run without a SS, and that it can actually protect parts that would otherwise be damaged without its damping effect. However, it's a double-edged sword, IMO, since the SS can also mask incipient problems with your Jeep's suspension. By the time you feel it lurching to the side, jumping or chattering over potholes or bumps, you may be well on your way to a problem.

AZ Buffalo 03-25-2012 05:07 PM

I too feel that you should run a SS, but if you get everything repaired and eliminate your DW all you have to do is proper maintainence. Get dirty, get under those Jeeps and make sure everything is still lookin good. Its your money/life/family in these Jeeps, protect it by investing your time.. Lmao, I just sounded like someone from an ad council..

chopperbobby 03-27-2012 03:18 PM

i put on a new bds ss with the lift. Went back to the stock one and dw is gone:eek:

Dick Blonov 03-27-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkmcd99 (Post 2177506)
Is this a kit you bought, or an invent a lift with different components from different brands etc..

:rofl:


DB


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.