Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Bestop Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Tops (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bestop-bikini-duster-and-windjammer-tops-148843.html)

bjc24v 03-25-2012 02:37 PM

Bestop Bikini, Duster & Windjammer Tops
 
Need some help. Anybody running this top or combo of any of these tops? If so,what do you think of it. Will I be happy with it? Does it keep the water out? Thank you for your help!
:)

New2012JEEP 03-25-2012 03:46 PM

I have the bestop bikini. I am severely disappointed with it's quality/fit.

rics1997 03-25-2012 06:15 PM

All I can speak for is a 2dr. I really liked mine during the summer but saying that it has many downfalls. For the 2 door the windjammer pushes up against the front seats making you have to bring the seat forward a little which could be uncomfortable for a tall person not to mention having to have the seat more upright. If you have the door surrounds that work with the bikini it makes it fairly water proof. Water can get in around the windjammer when the rain is hard and blowing but not bad. Also water can get in around the rear roll bar were the duster wraps around the posts. Neither was bad enough that the next sunny day didn't dry it out. really the windjammer against the seat was the only real bother. But you do need the older style door surrounds to make it fit correctly.

before door surrounds

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-17-58_262.jpg

After door surrounds

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-58-22_115.jpg

with bikini rolled up and velcro to sound bar

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...7/DSC_0273.jpg

bjc24v 03-25-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New2012JEEP (Post 2180268)
I have the bestop bikini. I am severely disappointed with it's quality/fit.

Wow, that stinks. Do you know of any other brand that would work well?

Thanks for the heads up!:thumb:

rics1997 03-25-2012 06:17 PM

They should include the door surround with the combo but unfortunately they don't.

bjc24v 03-25-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rics1997 (Post 2180719)
All I can speak for is a 2dr. I really liked mine during the summer but saying that it has many downfalls. For the 2 door the windjammer pushes up against the front seats making you have to bring the seat forward a little which could be uncomfortable for a tall person not to mention having to have the seat more upright. If you have the door surrounds that work with the bikini it makes it fairly water proof. Water can get in around the windjammer when the rain is hard and blowing but not bad. Also water can get in around the rear roll bar were the duster wraps around the posts. Neither was bad enough that the next sunny day didn't dry it out. really the windjammer against the seat was the only real bother. But you do need the older style door surrounds to make it fit correctly.

before door surrounds

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-17-58_262.jpg

After door surrounds

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...-58-22_115.jpg

with bikini rolled up and velcro to sound bar

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...7/DSC_0273.jpg

Thank you for your review and the pics!! Thats why this forum is so great! I have some thinking to do for sure. Your jeep has a great stance... :thumb:

New2012JEEP 03-25-2012 07:20 PM

I had ordered the Mopar Bikini for the 07-09 Wrangler, I wish that one would have fit, because it looked great. Someone mentioned ordering the 07-09 surrounds so it would fit my 2012. Too bad it doesn't fit around my new soft top door surrounds.

thenorsepole 03-25-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New2012JEEP (Post 2180268)
I have the bestop bikini. I am severely disappointed with it's quality/fit.

I just put mine on today (just covers the 2dr cab). The fit is extremely loose and I had to remove the door surrounds to make it fit better - still real loose across the cab opening. Is this what you're experiencing? Would a "tensioning bar" help tighten it up?

I haven't gone down the road yet but I can imagine that thing flaps out an annoying rhythm as loose as it is.

rics1997 03-25-2012 09:14 PM

Thats why the older door surrounds are needed. The top will clip into the older surrounds and stretch tight. It doesn't in the newer surrounds. thats why they need to include them in the set

New2012JEEP 03-25-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenorsepole (Post 2181004)
I just put mine on today (just covers the 2dr cab). The fit is extremely loose and I had to remove the door surrounds to make it fit better - still real loose across the cab opening. Is this what you're experiencing? Would a "tensioning bar" help tighten it up?

I haven't gone down the road yet but I can imagine that thing flaps out an annoying rhythm as loose as it is.

yep, it just fits terrible. I removed my door surrounds today, but it still doesn't go over them. It fits really loose over the cab, it was loose when it was new, and even looser now that it is worn in. I love the idea of it, so I have not removed it. It droops into the cab pretty low now after about 3 weeks of use.

I would have bought the old surrounds, just didn't want to dish out 250 bucks for them...

I emailed Bestop as soon as I got it to see if they planned on making a Mopar top for it, and they said this was it. Too bad, so sad.

rics1997 03-25-2012 10:41 PM

I doubt I will be using mine anymore. The safari top that is part of the Trektop NX uses the new cable system. I will probably be selling mine. It is for a two door

thenorsepole 03-25-2012 10:55 PM

Geoff!!!! Any tips or tricks to make this thing fit better? For around $80 I would expect a better fit. None too happy at this point.

New2012JEEP 03-25-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenorsepole (Post 2181862)
Geoff!!!! Any tips or tricks to make this thing fit better? For around $80 I would expect a better fit. None too happy at this point.

Return it and buy the Mopar one and the 07 - 09 door surrounds. You will spend more but be way happier.

I am going to just put my soft top back on and go with out the windows.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.