Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   4 Wheel Drive Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/4-wheel-drive-question-14900.html)

2002Apex 01-18-2008 05:42 PM

4 Wheel Drive Question

I think read on the forum somewhere that the TJ's 4 hi isnt meant for long distance, 60+ mph driving. Is this true?

Jonny15 01-18-2008 06:56 PM

If you're able to travel 60+ mph then you dont need 4wd. 60+ mph is WAAAY to fast to be in or need 4hi. You're not suppose to exceed 55 mph in 4hi according to Jeep, but even 55 is much too fast if you need really 4wd. Unless the roads are totally covered with a MINIMUM of 1 inch or so of snow theres really no reason to use it at all...and using it with a dusting of snow could be damaging.

4hi is not made for long distance or high speed travel, TJ's have a part time transfer case that locks the front and rear driveshaft together. Using it anytime the tires cannot slip will cause binding and is very bad for your drivetrain. Theres really no set distance you can or cant travel while in 4hi, you could travel forever on a loose dirt trail in 4hi and it would be perfectly fine because the wheels would be able to slip in the loose dirt, but using it on pavement or any other surface where the tires can't slip is BAD unless its covered in snow.

General rule i use is i see how long i can drive in 2hi on snowy roads until i'm having a hard time keeping decent traction and then i engage 4hi. If the road conditions clear up its back to 2hi. Offroad i use 2hi until i really need 4hi or 4low and then i engage it.

Smeghead 01-18-2008 07:13 PM

*Clap* *Clap* Good reply.
I havent even put mine in 4wd mode since I bought it yet because we havent had any snow DAMMIT!!!

debruins 01-18-2008 09:12 PM

i only put it in 4wd once i feel like im slipping, because if you cant slip then it will ruin your drivetrain

Jonny15 01-19-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smeghead (Post 183695)
*Clap* *Clap* Good reply.
I havent even put mine in 4wd mode since I bought it yet because we havent had any snow DAMMIT!!!

Lol thanks i went all out on this one...

And if you want some snow i'll be glad to ship you some...we've had a storm about every week since the end of november here, and we had the snowiest December on record here since the late 1800's...so needless to say we have a TON of snow.

Maybe i can ship a truck load to you and you can cover your yard in it and take your jeep snow wheelin right in the yard and make all your jeep buddies jealous you have snow to play in and they dont :rofl:

Smeghead 01-19-2008 02:34 AM

God knows its cold enough here but absolutely no precipitation at all.

2002Apex 01-19-2008 04:31 AM

makes since. thank you.

hedonist 01-19-2008 09:30 AM

Yea. that was a good replay Johnny15.

When I first bought my Jeep two weeks ago, I ran it in 4hi for 10 minutes just to make sure it worked and get all the fluids running.

By the way, when I go to the snow too, I leave it in 2wd until it slips. The Jeep in 2WD did way better than some trucks in 4WD; I know because my friend has a Hemi Dodge Ram 4WD and he was slipping everywhere. I didn't even engage the 4WD and my Jeep was butter.