Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Mopar Off-Road Front Bumber (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mopar-off-road-front-bumber-149006.html)

ShoreWrangler 03-26-2012 08:11 AM

Mopar Off-Road Front Bumber
 
Anyone here running the mopar off-road front bumper? I really like the look of it, especially like the use of the factory fog lights. Thinking about picking up the non-winch version.

Couple questions about it. How much does it weigh? If I got the non-winch version would the weight still be heavy enough to require a leveling kit?

I don't want to get the optional skid plate at this time. Does the factory plastic piece (the one that LOOKS like a skid plate but is not) attach to the off-road bumper just like it does to the stock bumber? How about the other plastic piece that fits behind the bumper on the TOP? I like the look of both of those panels and would like to keep them if possible.

SilverSport 03-26-2012 08:22 AM

Weight unknown.
No leveling kit needed.
Factory splash shield will attach.
Plastic piece that originally went between factory bumper and grille won't fit. But u won't need it because the MOPAR bumper fits closer to grille.

ShoreWrangler 03-26-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi (Post 2182782)
Weight unknown.
No leveling kit needed.
Factory splash shield will attach.
Plastic piece that originally went between factory bumper and grille won't fit. But u won't need it because the MOPAR bumper fits closer to grille.

Thanks!

How do you like your's? Did you put it on yourself? How difficult/easy is it to add auxilary lights?

SilverSport 03-26-2012 08:37 AM

I am happy with it. Installed my self with basic hand tools. You can put lights on the center hoop using something like this: Small Light Mount for 4" and smaller

Or you can mount lights elsewhere on the bumper depending on your imagination! :thumb:

ShoreWrangler 03-26-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverRubi (Post 2182833)
I am happy with it. Installed my self with basic hand tools. You can put lights on the center hoop using something like this: Small Light Mount for 4" and smaller

Or you can mount lights elsewhere on the bumper depending on your imagination! :thumb:

Again, thank you for your responses! When you say I can mount the lights elsewhere, can the normal KC 6" lights be mounted directly to the top of the bumper? Just drill holes right into the bumper itself rather than the bar? Is there enough room for them to either fit under the hoop or maybe in front of it? I definitely want aux lights so want to make sure there is a way to mount them before committing

kik 03-26-2012 10:35 AM

I have the Mopar off road w/winch and fogs. I also have the front skid plate. I like the set up. No problems and on my Rubi I don't have any sag. I didn't like the plastic air dam. If you think you're going to get a winch you can get the cover for the off road w/winch. It's only molded plastic and attaches with double sided tape but it works for a temporary solution.

ShoreWrangler 03-26-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 2183196)
I have the Mopar off road w/winch and fogs. I also have the front skid plate. I like the set up. No problems and on my Rubi I don't have any sag. I didn't like the plastic air dam. If you think you're going to get a winch you can get the cover for the off road w/winch. It's only molded plastic and attaches with double sided tape but it works for a temporary solution.

Could I attach a license plate to that cover? I really don't want to put it on the left or right edge if I can avoid it.

kik 03-26-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoreWrangler (Post 2183372)
Could I attach a license plate to that cover? I really don't want to put it on the left or right edge if I can avoid it.

I don't think so. The cover sits on top. I don't think it would be good for holding a license plate. I have my plate mounted on the driver's side corner. I think it looks good, it's out of the way and I have never had a problem with it. I do have a black metal thin license plate frame to keep the edges from bending, which has worked. Why would you want to avoid a side mount attachment.

ShoreWrangler 03-26-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 2183648)
Why would you want to avoid a side mount attachment.

Purely for appearance. I just think it looks better in the middle. If I had a winch I would mount it on the side but without it I really prefer it in the center of the bumper.

kik 03-26-2012 01:37 PM

If you're sure you are not going to want a winch then if you decide to go with Mopar get the non winch w/fogs. Your plate mount will be in the center.

RBrown9180 03-26-2012 03:24 PM

This is the bumper I plan to get as well. I really like the aev front and rear. But I can get the mopar front and rear for about what the aev front alone costs. Just not worth it. Ill be going with the non winch w/fogs.

Vin 03-26-2012 09:12 PM

If you are undecided on a winch, Mopar also makes a Winch delete plate. It's plastic, but covers nicely.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._7033919_n.jpg

When I evenually got a winch, I mounted the plate via the roller fairleads.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...4_846390_n.jpg

I added a pair of KC Rallye 800 lights up front.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...38492410_n.jpg

RubiJK12 03-26-2012 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Mopar off road bumper and added the lights. I used the stock metal plate that was behind the OEM bumper to mount the stock lights. Cutting the holes was a chore but it worked well. Also used the Mopar skid plate in front and added the decal.

In the rear I have the matching Mopar off road bumper and added the muffler skid plate.

Attachment 108522

TASARCTIC12 03-27-2012 05:21 AM

Where is the best place to get the Mopar Bumper?

ShoreWrangler 03-27-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubiJK12 (Post 2186334)
I have the Mopar off road bumper and added the lights. I used the stock metal plate that was behind the OEM bumper to mount the stock lights. Cutting the holes was a chore but it worked well. Also used the Mopar skid plate in front and added the decal.

In the rear I have the matching Mopar off road bumper and added the muffler skid plate.

Attachment 108522

Wow, that turned out great! I like where you mounted the fogs better than where mopar puts them. I bet doing those holes was a major PITA.

willywaxer 03-27-2012 07:18 AM

On mine, I removed the plastic covers and ground off the crush cans. Replaced them with D- ring mounts and rings from Teraflex (same 4-bolt hole pattern as stock). The bumper is hollow, so you can drill most anywhere through the top and mount lights.

ShoreWrangler 03-27-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willywaxer (Post 2186958)
On mine, I removed the plastic covers and ground off the crush cans. Replaced them with D- ring mounts and rings from Teraflex (same 4-bolt hole pattern as stock). The bumper is hollow, so you can drill most anywhere through the top and mount lights.

Yeah I see a lot of folks do that, or some version of that. What is the deal with those cans? Why are they on there when no other after-market bumper has them? They are the only thing I am not really thrilled about with the mopar bumper.

willywaxer 03-27-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoreWrangler (Post 2187036)
Yeah I see a lot of folks do that, or some version of that. What is the deal with those cans? Why are they on there when no other after-market bumper has them? They are the only thing I am not really thrilled about with the mopar bumper.

So if you bump into something at very low speeds, they absorb most of the impact and your airbag deployment sensor isn't as likely to activate. At least that is what I've heard.

Vin 03-27-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoreWrangler (Post 2187036)
Yeah I see a lot of folks do that, or some version of that. What is the deal with those cans? Why are they on there when no other after-market bumper has them? They are the only thing I am not really thrilled about with the mopar bumper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willywaxer (Post 2187076)
So if you bump into something at very low speeds, they absorb most of the impact and your airbag deployment sensor isn't as likely to activate. At least that is what I've heard.

I don't believe it's anything with the air bag, but more for federal standards with low speed crashes and what damage it will do to the other car. Since all cars are now pretty much disposable when it comes to crashes (crumple zones etc) the crushcans will lesson the need to total cars that have had low speed crashes.

Also AEV bumpers still have crush cans.

Tumbleweed 04-02-2012 10:03 AM

Today I stopped at the dealer for a recall repair. I asked about the Mopar Off-Road front bumper. They have updated it and it now retails for $1500.00!!! For that price I will get and AEV or ARB one. And I work for Chrysler!

44Blues 04-02-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed (Post 2210275)
Today I stopped at the dealer for a recall repair. I asked about the Mopar Off-Road front bumper. They have updated it and it now retails for $1500.00!!! For that price I will get and AEV or ARB one. And I work for Chrysler!

I got the exact same quote.

ShoreWrangler 04-02-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed (Post 2210275)
Today I stopped at the dealer for a recall repair. I asked about the Mopar Off-Road front bumper. They have updated it and it now retails for $1500.00!!! For that price I will get and AEV or ARB one. And I work for Chrysler!

They are probably quoting the bumper that is on the MW3 edition, which is an AEV. They should still offer the regular off-road bumper seperately.

MW3 bumper:
http://photos.imageevent.com/moparno...SEMA%20021.JPG

Wmpj08 02-20-2013 10:20 PM

I've seen the mopar front off road bumper non/winch and factory lights for around $650 on quadratec...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.