Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Stability Control Issues After 2.5 BB Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stability-control-issues-after-2-5-bb-install-149047.html)

Tim223 03-26-2012 10:01 AM

Stability Control Issues After 2.5 BB Install

I just installed a 2.5" Teraflex BB with an adjustable trackbar and put 35" tires on my 2011 Rubicon (2 door). Since it has been on my stability control has been kicking on every time I hit an on-ramp and even on winding roads (even at low speeds, 20-25 mph). The speedo was recalibrated and everything has been double checked and looks right. Has anyone else ran into this issue or have any ideas

4fit 03-26-2012 10:04 AM

Did you recenter your steering wheel after the lift install? Need to make sure it is dead center and also that the axle is properly centered.

Tim223 03-26-2012 10:26 AM

Yes on both, those were my first two guesses, but everything is where it should be..thanks though.

kjeeper10 03-26-2012 10:37 AM

LCA's... Caster too low :)

I should have said adjustable CA's

Another option would be AEV correction brackets to relo the stock CA's
$100

Tim223 03-26-2012 02:23 PM

I'll have to check the caster tonight..I have spoken to a few people that have gone with the same set-up though and haven't had any issues since it's just a 2.5" boost. Thanks for the response though, I'll be sure to check it.

Revyjku08 03-26-2012 02:56 PM

My guess would have been the steering wheel as this had to be adjusted everytime I added a lift to stop the ESP from kicking in. The only other thing is if the lift is leaning more to one side and the ESP is kicking in as the computer believes you are cornering too fast and thinks it is going past that tipping point to prevent a roll over????

Tim223 03-26-2012 03:12 PM

You have me thinking, I can't say off hand if it is only happening when I am turning right..I have mostly been noticing it on exit ramps so that might be it, I will have to make sure it is level. I can't think of why it wouldn't be, but there is clearly something going on. Thanks for the idea.

Tim223 03-26-2012 04:10 PM

It's level, this is starting to get frustrating…thanks for the help so far though.

kbwwolf 03-26-2012 04:24 PM

Another vote for steering not being centered. If it is, maybe mud on the inside of your wheels, or a clockspring problem?

Clockspring issues crop up here from time to time. Usually causes ESC or ABS lights to activate.

Even if your caster is into the dreaded negative numbers range, that shouldn't by itself cause ESP probs.

actualsize 03-26-2012 04:39 PM

I just installed a 3" Mopar/Teraflex lift kit. On my first test drive this happened before I re-centered the wheel (I couldn't wait.) And yes, it only happened in one direction. It stopped as soon as I re-centered the steering wheel. It doesn't take much. 5 degrees or so is enough.

When re-centering the steering wheel it is important to do it at the drag link (which is the easy way, anyway). Popping the steering wheel off and re-indexing the spline is no good because that messes up the zero point of the steering angle sensor.

Dan

Tim223 03-27-2012 08:50 AM

I must have screwed up getting everything recentered and level..there's a local guy that knows JKs real well, I'm gonna have him take a look at it...CJs are way easier to deal with by the way.
Thanks for all of the input, I will update this when it is all figured out.