Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Massachusetts Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f90/)
-   -   $100 ticket 4 my tires (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f90/100-ticket-4-my-tires-149106.html)

HICK83 03-26-2012 01:18 PM

$100 ticket 4 my tires

Does anyone think I have a chance at fighting this ticket. My tires to stick out about 6 inches. Any info would be great this was in mansfield massachusetts

Peepers 03-26-2012 01:21 PM

You might have a chance if you buy the correct flairs to cover your tires. The commonwealth of Mass are real uptight about their vehicle inspections from what I've seen...

sdptrey 03-26-2012 06:22 PM

6" out So pretty much you don't have flares at all.

Rafikie 03-26-2012 08:10 PM

Put a smaller set of tires on it that don't stick out so bad, take pics and drive a different car to court, show them the pics and hope you get out of it like I did :D or BIGGER FLARES

GREEN-MACHINE 03-27-2012 09:08 AM

fight the ticket, you never know, i beat a ticket for having straight exhaust pipes on my harley,, i went into court with 8x10 pictures of my bike showing at least 5 bends in each exhaust pipe. i also brought in a 5 foot long piece of straight pvc pipe, for an example of a straight pipe... the judge look at me and laughed,, told the cop to smarten up when writing tickets... i grabbed my leather and beanie helmet and walked out of court, with the cop hot on my tail. ( i swear he was already writing the ticked up ) i jumped into my VW tdi wagon.... besides how the heck was i to transport 5 feet of pipe on my bike.

HICK83 03-28-2012 06:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 108798

The tires are 33" on 15 x 10 rims with 3.75 back spacing. Thay stick out almost 8.5" from the tub and I have stock fenders. Any one think I will be all right with 6" fender flairs? Thanks for all the info.

Rafikie 03-28-2012 07:57 AM

TJ Wrangler Xenon 6" wide fender flares 6 pc set - The NEOW Forum

NHrubicon 03-28-2012 08:06 AM

I'm running 33x12.5x15 tires under my 03 rubicon, and with 6" Xenons barely an inch if that much was past the flare. Never got a ticket, always passed inspection here in New Hampshire. Having flat fenders built now that will be an extra inch wider. Mass. is really getting touchy with off road vehicles-you might pass inspection with stock tires but you can still get a ticket if you put your big ones back on.

HICK83 03-28-2012 09:24 AM

What is the law in NH?

pasteris71 03-29-2012 01:40 AM

Definitely stick out too far. Need to either get wider glares or tires that are not go wide. You are allowed 2 inches beyond the flare, after that it's illegal.

Rafikie 03-29-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasteris71 (Post 2195161)
You are allowed 2 inches beyond the flare, after that it's illegal.

Not true. I've gone for inspection before where my tires didn't stick out beyond my flat fenders, but they failed it because the flares didn't wrap the tire. That said every time I've gone for inspection over the last few years I've left with a different result. Now she will only see asphalt from the added height of the trailer its riding on.

denisbaldwin 03-29-2012 06:21 AM

This is why I'm glad the cops in Florida don't hassle me too much about tire width.

nick50471 03-29-2012 06:48 AM

I am glad they are writing tickets for tire width. That means all the drunk drivers, drug dealers and all other illegal activity has been stopped. You should be proud to pay it. :D

NHrubicon 03-29-2012 08:28 AM

It's supposed to be 'fully covered' in NH, never heard the 2" allowable. That being said, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket here where the flare 'almost' covers it all. It's the guys with no fenders, huge lifts, and squealing tires that get the tickets. Behave and drive with good manners and you'll usually be left alone.

Tjmike003 04-04-2012 05:30 PM

Mass has no fender law. Fight it.
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr400.pdf

HICK83 04-05-2012 07:37 AM

I don't see ware it says I can run no fenders

2003x 04-05-2012 07:48 PM

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr4/sec404b.htm
scroll down to section (11) for fenders, section (10) is tires.

Ch-90- Mass Law
(b) Fenders. Front and rear fenders must be in place on all vehicles manufactured after model year
1949 if such vehicles were designed and manufactured to be operated with front and rear fenders.
Every passenger motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR) , except four wheel drive vehicles
which are equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be
equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.

Here is the same law written different in another book;

Not withstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use.

It looks like it is a $100 citation according to the citation booklet. But it says expect 4x4 vehicles in all I could find. The Law is very vague for 4x4 vehicles from what I have read / know. I know the tires have to be covered, but it looks like the law is written that if the tires stick out, they must have a mud flap. This word though, "suitable guards", can be interpreted in different ways by Police Officers.

But how I read that is, you can have tires sticking past the flares for a 4x4 vehicle, if you have mud flaps.

I would fight it, print that link from MA wesbite and show them that law. But the mud flap part they may get you on.
Hope this helps.

HICK83 04-07-2012 06:30 AM

Thanks

Sampson104 04-14-2012 06:32 AM

Fight it, you will win it if the magistrate is up to par on his/her laws. Vehicles equipped with 4wd or intended for off road passage can have tires extending outward beyond fender flares and wheel wells. I have a very good friend on the MSP force, 20 yr veteran and he is known as the troops go to guy for the gray areas and has expressed to all his fellow troopers that right a ticket for this is useless and there is no law in place for this. Ive been pulled over for this and actually asked the trooper to call or converse with Trooper xxxx as he has stated there is no law on this. Works evertime!

Matcheen 04-14-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 2195489)
I am glad they are writing tickets for tire width. That means all the drunk drivers, drug dealers and all other illegal activity has been stopped. You should be proud to pay it. :D

Hahaha, unfortunately there's no money in real illegal activity and the highway hawks need something to do.

HICK83 04-14-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampson104
Fight it, you will win it if the magistrate is up to par on his/her laws. Vehicles equipped with 4wd or intended for off road passage can have tires extending outward beyond fender flares and wheel wells. I have a very good friend on the MSP force, 20 yr veteran and he is known as the troops go to guy for the gray areas and has expressed to all his fellow troopers that right a ticket for this is useless and there is no law in place for this. Ive been pulled over for this and actually asked the trooper to call or converse with Trooper xxxx as he has stated there is no law on this. Works evertime!

Thanks I will let everyone know how it turns out

2003x 04-14-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampson104

Its a very vauge law about tires and 4wd. Very confusing. As I posted, they will probably get him on the mud flaps, but I would still fight it.

Tjmike003 04-17-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HICK83
I don't see ware it says I can run no fenders

You won't see where it say you can run no fenders. I said there is no fender law as in there is no law saying your tires have to be covered or any measurement.

Rafikie 04-17-2012 02:04 PM

When the state cop pulled me over it wasn't because my tires "stuck out to far" it was because they didn't have enough covering them to stop them from picking up road dirt and tossing it at the cars behind.

N3M0 06-02-2012 04:26 PM

I know this thread is a few months old, but i called the state police headquarters for MA and asked for them to explain the law to me. They said 4wd vehicles are exempt.

HICK83 06-02-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FigsJeep978
I know this thread is a few months old, but i called the state police headquarters for MA and asked for them to explain the law to me. They said 4wd vehicles are exempt.

That's is sweet I just need a print out from the state police. I wonder if I could it at the foxboro one. I still have no court date.

2003x 06-03-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FigsJeep978 (Post 2430031)

Exempt from what?

N3M0 06-03-2012 05:59 PM

The fender flare law. Its ok if the tires stick out past the flare

Walkingstick 06-03-2012 06:24 PM

I am glad I live in the good old state of North Carolina.
No fender laws. And one state up... No emissions laws. ^_^

Rider453 06-04-2012 02:07 PM

Ya I talked to a cop as well it's like articl 90 section 16 or Vic versa