Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Will any dana 44/30 gear work? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/will-any-dana-44-30-gear-work-149150.html)

Preston777 03-26-2012 05:27 PM

Will any dana 44/30 gear work?
 
So in regards to gearing, I know that there is standard rotation and counter rotation i believe. What specifically will work in our jk's and do I have to match manufactures? For example if I get a good deal on some rubicon take offs for the rear then buy a new set of 4.10 fronts would that be okay?

MTH 03-26-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2184662)
So in regards to gearing, I know that there is standard rotation and counter rotation i believe. What specifically will work in our jk's and do I have to match manufactures? For example if I get a good deal on some rubicon take offs for the rear then buy a new set of 4.10 fronts would that be okay?

I don't believe so.

Somebody explained to me awhile back that the Rubicon gears are different than than non-Rubicon gears, which is why when you try to buy gears online you have to select whether their for a "Rubicon D44" or a "non-Rubicon D44." I can't remember what the explanation was . . . .

But in any event, it explained why you don't see folks selling their "rubicon takeoff" gears. They won't fit properly in a non-Rubicon diff housing.

Hopefully somebody can stop by to really explain it, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Preston777 03-26-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2184682)
I don't believe so.

Somebody explained to me awhile back that the Rubicon gears are different than than non-Rubicon gears, which is why when you try to buy gears online you have to select whether their for a "Rubicon D44" or a "non-Rubicon D44." I can't remember what the explanation was . . . .

But in any event, it explained why you don't see folks selling their "rubicon takeoff" gears. They won't fit properly in a non-Rubicon diff housing.

Hopefully somebody can stop by to really explain it, or correct me if I'm wrong.

After reading a little about them it seems like to change my gear at all I will have to change out the differential case. everything says the cases are either 3.55 and lower cases or 3.73 and higher cases.
Guess its going to end up costing a ton to re gear from 3.21's

daggo66 03-26-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2184772)
After reading a little about them it seems like to change my gear at all I will have to change out the differential case. everything says the cases are either 3.55 and lower cases or 3.73 and higher cases.
Guess its going to end up costing a ton to re gear from 3.21's

Not true. Would you really want to but used gears in? I wouldn't.

nick50471 03-26-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777
After reading a little about them it seems like to change my gear at all I will have to change out the differential case. everything says the cases are either 3.55 and lower cases or 3.73 and higher cases.
Guess its going to end up costing a ton to re gear from 3.21's

You don't have to change the diff. You will have to change the carrier inside the diff.

kbwwolf 03-26-2012 06:14 PM

You wanna buy new gears through the shop that's gonna do the install, to maintain warranty. Order a master kit. It's gonna run you +/- $1500, and afterwards there will be a very specific break-in procedure.

As daggo said, don't buy used gears. Like buying used underwear...might get an unwanted bonus. :)

Preston777 03-26-2012 06:22 PM

okay I see, that clears up some things then. I was think the whole 3rd member was different which I thought was kind of ridiculous in the first place.
and im guessing gears would be a pain in the ass to do myself as well as not be covered under warrantly?

daggo66 03-26-2012 08:09 PM

Gears are something best left to the pros.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.