Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Will any dana 44/30 gear work? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/will-any-dana-44-30-gear-work-149150.html)

Preston777 03-26-2012 05:27 PM

Will any dana 44/30 gear work?

So in regards to gearing, I know that there is standard rotation and counter rotation i believe. What specifically will work in our jk's and do I have to match manufactures? For example if I get a good deal on some rubicon take offs for the rear then buy a new set of 4.10 fronts would that be okay?

MTH 03-26-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2184662)
So in regards to gearing, I know that there is standard rotation and counter rotation i believe. What specifically will work in our jk's and do I have to match manufactures? For example if I get a good deal on some rubicon take offs for the rear then buy a new set of 4.10 fronts would that be okay?

I don't believe so.

Somebody explained to me awhile back that the Rubicon gears are different than than non-Rubicon gears, which is why when you try to buy gears online you have to select whether their for a "Rubicon D44" or a "non-Rubicon D44." I can't remember what the explanation was . . . .

But in any event, it explained why you don't see folks selling their "rubicon takeoff" gears. They won't fit properly in a non-Rubicon diff housing.

Hopefully somebody can stop by to really explain it, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Preston777 03-26-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 2184682)
I don't believe so.

Somebody explained to me awhile back that the Rubicon gears are different than than non-Rubicon gears, which is why when you try to buy gears online you have to select whether their for a "Rubicon D44" or a "non-Rubicon D44." I can't remember what the explanation was . . . .

But in any event, it explained why you don't see folks selling their "rubicon takeoff" gears. They won't fit properly in a non-Rubicon diff housing.

Hopefully somebody can stop by to really explain it, or correct me if I'm wrong.

After reading a little about them it seems like to change my gear at all I will have to change out the differential case. everything says the cases are either 3.55 and lower cases or 3.73 and higher cases.
Guess its going to end up costing a ton to re gear from 3.21's

daggo66 03-26-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777 (Post 2184772)
After reading a little about them it seems like to change my gear at all I will have to change out the differential case. everything says the cases are either 3.55 and lower cases or 3.73 and higher cases.

Not true. Would you really want to but used gears in? I wouldn't.

nick50471 03-26-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston777

You don't have to change the diff. You will have to change the carrier inside the diff.

kbwwolf 03-26-2012 06:14 PM

You wanna buy new gears through the shop that's gonna do the install, to maintain warranty. Order a master kit. It's gonna run you +/- $1500, and afterwards there will be a very specific break-in procedure.

As daggo said, don't buy used gears. Like buying used underwear...might get an unwanted bonus. :)

Preston777 03-26-2012 06:22 PM

okay I see, that clears up some things then. I was think the whole 3rd member was different which I thought was kind of ridiculous in the first place.
and im guessing gears would be a pain in the ass to do myself as well as not be covered under warrantly?

daggo66 03-26-2012 08:09 PM

Gears are something best left to the pros.