99 jeep wrangler 4cyl... 4 days ago my jeep was running fine. the next morning i tried to start it up and the engine started for about 2 seconds and then died. since then i havnt been able to get it to run. I am getting spark. i sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body and tried to start the car and it wouldnt start. ive replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. what im assumeing the ploblem is is that my fuel pump fuse is blown, fuel filter is clogged, fuel pump is out, or my fuel line is clogged or possibly frozen. I have checked the owners manual for a layout of the fuses and the manual doesnt show where the fuel pump fuse is located. does anyone know where i can find an online manual on how to solve this whole thing?
01-19-2008 04:34 PM
if its not starting if you spray the throttle body with starting fluid i dont think its a fuel problem. i would look at the crank positioning sensor, thats a pretty common thing with the 99's from what ive been told
01-19-2008 05:57 PM
where is the crank positioning sensor located? If it was out would there still be spark?
01-19-2008 07:52 PM
there will be spark but it wont be at the rite time or even on the rite cylinder. not sure exactly where it is on a 99 but it is somewhere around the flywheel and is held on by 2 bolts i think. you should be able to see it from the top im just not sure if its on the drivers or passengers side.
01-19-2008 07:58 PM
iŽll send you a PM with a pic where the C.P.S. is located at the 2.5L engine.
01-19-2008 10:48 PM
i went out today and bought a manual. it should be in the shop by tuesday. Im feeling pretty confident that the main problem is the crank positioning sensor. when i was checking for sprk i noticed that one of the sparkplugs (brand new) has little to no sign of ignition compared to the others. Tommarow im going to check things over again, check the plugs, wires, distributor cap, spray started fluid in the throttle body and see if i can check for flow through the fuel lines. the crank positioning sensor is gonna cost 189.99 so i realy want to be sure before buying it.
01-20-2008 01:27 AM
dont put in the shop! the c. p. s. is alot cheaper if you buy an after market one from your local auto parts store. its easy to put on, remove the bolts and install. im pretty sure thats what the problem is, quick and easy fix. if you put it in the shop you'l have to pay a huge labor fee
01-20-2008 01:42 PM
I live on base and they have a do it yourself auto shop. so ill bring it there. they also have tech mechanics near by for free assistance. Right now the biggest thing is wether or not the CPS is tha actual problem. before i go out and spend nearly 200 ide like to be sure. now heres one more thing i did that might help you assist me in determining the problem. I sprayed some starting fluid inside the throttle body, then had a friend try to push start me with his truck... no go! engine didnt even try to turn over. so, is this once again another sign of an iffy cps?