Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Need Help? What should I offer for this jeep? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-help-what-should-i-offer-for-this-jeep-149245.html)

DirtyMyrtle 03-26-2012 11:47 PM

Need Help? What should I offer for this jeep?
 
4 Attachment(s)
Based on this information what would you all offer for this jeep?

I need help? Solf my offroad Grand Cherokee years ago and need to get back into the jeep offroad family.

Here's the info I have right now:
1997 Jeep Wrangler, TJ 33x1250 tires, good condition, 3 1/2 lift, winch bumper with 8000 lb ramsey winch, off road lights on bumper, 5 speed, locking rear differintial, sound bar, roll cage, approx 100,000 miles.

Border Dave 03-27-2012 12:10 AM

Which motor, 4.0 or 2.5? Which axle in the rear, Dana 35 or Dana 44? Which locker does it have? What ratio are the gears? How does it run? Does it have a Slip Yoke Eliminator or does it use transfer case spacers? Does it have cruise control or air conditioning?

Jeep_guy3 03-27-2012 12:15 AM

^^^ all of this plus most importantly.... What's the rust situation look like?

DirtyMyrtle 03-27-2012 12:17 AM

I'm talking with the private owner now and am waiting for a response to those questions?
Why does it matter which axel in the rear?

I'm a major NEWB.
What would yalls ballpark # be for it based on this limited info?

Thanks guys.

Jeep_guy3 03-27-2012 12:26 AM

Rear axel wise a Dana 35 isn't recommended for 33" tires, ESPECIALLY with a locker, it just puts too much strain on an already weak component.

As far as a ballpark number, all that information changes it drastically, you'll go from 4-5k on a low end and 8-9k on a high end. That's in my area, each market is different.

Border Dave 03-27-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMyrtle (Post 2186397)
Why does it matter which axel in the rear?

What would yalls ballpark # be for it based on this limited info?

A factory Dana 35 has very fragile internals and with a locking differential it is going to break.

It's very hard to put a price to it without those questions being answered, but if it has a 4.0 and it's in really good shape with the proper gearing for those tires, I'd guess it's value around $8000, maybe??? You'll get a better idea of it's value by looking on Auto Trader, E-bay, Craigslist, and your local newspaper. Car values really do vary from one area to another.

Border Dave 03-27-2012 12:28 AM

LOL, Jeep guy3, I guess we were typing pretty much the same thing at the same time.

DirtyMyrtle 03-27-2012 01:17 AM

Thanks guys.

When I get that info I'll post it back in here.

In the meantime all other posts/comments/estimates are welcome.

alice the cat 03-27-2012 03:38 AM

I just bought mine a few weeks ago but have been shopping for a year. If it has the 4.0 I would guess the dealers would ask $9499 for it. In a private party sale I would say $8599 and you could buy it for $7ish. Mine is a 99 setup similar to that one with a 3.5 lift etc(no winch) with 69k miles and he was asking $9500 and we settled on $8300. That is all here in SoCal and I know the market is strange here for Wranglers. I'm no expert and this is just my take on it. Good luck to you and my only bit of advice would be... make sure you start with a good example. I'm finding out that purchasing a jeep is just the beginning if you plan on building it to your liking.
:punk:

Jeep_guy3 03-27-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMyrtle
Thanks guys.

When I get that info I'll post it back in here.

In the meantime all other posts/comments/estimates are welcome.

Another thing I found out the hard way with the old XJ's I had... If the PO lifted it, he more then likely wheeled it. It isn't a problem as long as he didn't abuse it and maintained it properly. Look for bent, worn, dented, broken, scratched components on the underside to give you an idea on how much respect he had for his vehicle. Last thing you'd wanna do is buy something that your gonna have to end up replacing everything right away anyways.

DirtyMyrtle 03-27-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Border Dave (Post 2186383)
Which motor, 4.0 or 2.5? Which axle in the rear, Dana 35 or Dana 44? Which locker does it have? What ratio are the gears? How does it run? Does it have a Slip Yoke Eliminator or does it use transfer case spacers? Does it have cruise control or air conditioning?

Ok guys, here's the response I got from the seller.


- What should my concerns be?
-What would you pay if it was you looking to buy?
Ps. I'm at the beach in SC so no plans to ever rock crawl with this or take in a bunch of mud. Just local trails and beach (sand) crushing in North Carolina.


- 100,276miles
- 4 cylinder
- AC/HEAT = Heat works, Needs AC compressor.
- Am/fm cassette
- ABS? = Not sure
- Hardtop? = No soft top
- General Condition? = Good condition
- How much tire tread left? = All terrain very good shape and tread


-Which axel in the rear? = Don't know what you want to know other than Lock Right Locker by Power Tracks
- Dana 35 or Dana 44?= I know it's not a 44
- What's the rust situation like? = Dime size spot on one door
- Do you know if it has a Slip Yoke Eliminator or does it use transfer case spacers? = Unknown
Cruise control? = No


Thanks y'all are really helping a newb out!

Jeeplover1 03-27-2012 08:30 PM

im saying 5000

Jeeplover1 03-27-2012 08:31 PM

also make sure zippers are in good shape and no rips or leaks on the top if so knock off 500.

Another Guy In A Jeep 03-27-2012 08:32 PM

Well if its not a dana 44 couldn't it be a ford 8.8? someone back me up here. lol

DirtyMyrtle 03-27-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Guy In A Jeep (Post 2189563)
Well if its not a dana 44 couldn't it be a ford 8.8? someone back me up here. lol


Haha I don't even know what that means..

What do you think the value is?

alice the cat 03-27-2012 09:01 PM

I would pass on the 2.5. I bet you can find a 4.0 out there in your price range. It's not that the 4cyl is bad but the 4.0 is soooo good. Good luck to you.
Again... just my take.

KKhamesi 03-27-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice the cat (Post 2189717)
I would pass on the 2.5. I bet you can find a 4.0 out there in your price range. It's not that the 4cyl is bad but the 4.0 is soooo good. Good luck to you.
Again... just my take.

ya pass on it... with a d35 and locker ur just asking for trouble. it could be a ford 8.8 however if he doesnt know the rear axle i highly doubt its a 8.8

DirtyMyrtle 03-27-2012 09:49 PM

Dude only wants 5200 though

KKhamesi 03-27-2012 09:51 PM

if ur rear axle breaks, which d35 and locker and 33s it will be soon, that 2k right there. plus its only a 4 banger. with a 3.5" lift, idk but i think thats a horrible idea. now this all IMO of course so u dont have to list to me.

DirtyMyrtle 03-27-2012 09:55 PM

Really appreciate it.

How would I figure out if its a ford 8.8?

mikes05unlimited 03-27-2012 11:19 PM

If you are in the Myrtle area, which I am guessing from the name and location, Between Myrtle and Wilmington you could find what you are looking for. I live in Wilmington and pass at least 30 Jeeps on my way to work on the small lots. Keep looking they are all over the place around this area especially this time of year. Good Luck

DirtyMyrtle 03-28-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikes05unlimited (Post 2190423)
If you are in the Myrtle area, which I am guessing from the name and location, Between Myrtle and Wilmington you could find what you are looking for. I live in Wilmington and pass at least 30 Jeeps on my way to work on the small lots. Keep looking they are all over the place around this area especially this time of year. Good Luck

Yeah, I hear ya Mike.
Was real excited about this one though, I know its looked down on in the forum but I'd love to buy one with all the major mods already done (lift, tires, aesthetic types) and my budgets only about 5k as it'll be a second car.

I'm going for the look and the fun crusing on the weekends. Don't plan on hitting the trails all to often.

Shoot me a message on here if you've got any leads on what I'm looking for.

alice the cat 03-28-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMyrtle (Post 2190520)
Yeah, I hear ya Mike.
Was real excited about this one though, I know its looked down on in the forum but I'd love to buy one with all the major mods already done (lift, tires, aesthetic types) and my budgets only about 5k as it'll be a second car.

I'm going for the look and the fun crusing on the weekends. Don't plan on hitting the trails all to often.

Shoot me a message on here if you've got any leads on what I'm looking for.

I know what its like to get excited about a rig and you can get tunnel vision. I would listen to those guys^^^ they seem to know a lot more than me about these. I also wanted to find a jeep with a couple mods and found one eventually and I'm happy I did but one thing should top your list IMHO is the inline 6 engine. If you see "SE" in the add, just keep looking. Someone on this forum posted a pic of his 4.0 jeep looking like new with 481,000 miles or something close to that the other day. I have seen a few like that and it was enough to convince me. Pass on it... keep looking.

ScottMaganay 03-28-2012 02:20 AM

it just puts too much strain on an already weak component.

http://www.australialuxe.info/013-1.jpg

Jeeplover1 03-28-2012 02:48 AM

IMO the 4banger is the deal breaker. offer him 4000.00 or walk away IMO

alice the cat 03-28-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeplover1 (Post 2190716)
imo the 4banger is the deal breaker. Offer him 4000.00 or walk away imo

x2

gixxerphil 03-28-2012 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMyrtle (Post 2190056)
Really appreciate it.

How would I figure out if its a ford 8.8?


Here you go

jeepwayoflife 03-28-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerphil

Here you go

Hahaha, where is the fill plug on the 8.8?????? :thumb:

Peepers 03-28-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 2191340)
Hahaha, where is the fill plug on the 8.8?????? :thumb:

It doesn't need fluid, its just that awesome...

OR you have to park it on the grill and when your done, you put the cover back on and lower the rear down...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.